The English School - lukio

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:15 pm

It's that time of year (Joint Application System for Lukio) and "we" are looking at our alternatives. I'd be interested in hearing from any parent or pupil who has recent experience of grades 10-12 at the English School in Helsinki. I am especially interested in hearing from non-native speakers of Finnish who have taken the Finnish matriculation programme at that school (we're not interested in the AICE programme or SATS). I would like to know how good the school is at helping non-native speakers of Finnish to improve their language skills so they can achieve reasonable results in the matriculation exams. I'd also like to know a bit about teaching methods, class sizes etc. Our son has good spoken Finnish but his academic language (eg writing skills and academic reading) are not close to native as he has been in English-language programmes during grades 1-9.

Thanks.

PS: Curious to know why only three (?) boys graduated last year :? http://www.eschool.edu.hel.fi/4_highsch ... ool_1.html
This is a serious question; I looked at the book list for English and it is scary (if you're a boy). Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice, Pygmalion, The Great Gatsby... :ohno:

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic