Winter baby name ideas

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
Hiljasmom

Winter baby name ideas

Post by Hiljasmom » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:27 am

We are due with our second child in December. We are having a difficult time coming up with names. My husband is Finnish Ameican and we would like to continue using Finnish names for our family. We have a dog named Heikki and a daughter Hilja. Those are both family names but the others we have to chose from aren't our favorites.
Would anyone be willing to share both boy and girl names either surrounding winter/Christmas?

thanks!

Winter baby name ideas

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Pursuivant

Re: Winter baby name ideas

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:10 am

Hmmm... isn't Jésus the most common boy name in the USA ? :lol:
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Hiljasmom

Post by Hiljasmom » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:22 am

We are thinking of using Talvi, it might not be terrible for Americans to say. My husband's name is Thomas and I just read of St. Thomas day. Very close to my due date :). His nickname is Toivo.
Last edited by Hiljasmom on Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rip

Post by Rip » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:55 am

tummansininen wrote:I've heard of a baby named Talvi :D
- and if you have third one (a girl) 1.5 years later then you could call her Suvi :)

Looking at statistics Talvi (predominantly a girl's name) is rare but it does not sound to strange to me. Other wintry options would be Lumi (for a girl) or Pyry (for a boy).

Santtuli

Post by Santtuli » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:22 pm

Lumi (snow) for a girl, or Pyry (snowfall) for a boy would be very nice names :)

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:11 am

My late uncle was 'Toivo' so thats also been a 'boy name' used. Then again don't add them up to 'Toivo Lumi Pyry' unless you want to jinx the weather for him.

Bavarian

Post by Bavarian » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:31 pm

Have fun getting the Americans to prounce Pyry properly. :lol:

Hiljasmom

Post by Hiljasmom » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:57 pm

Yes, the Finnish "y" is almost impossible for me to pronounce. It's hard enough for others to understand that the "j" in my daughter's name is pronounced like the English "y". We wanted to keep the spelling true to the family name though. :)

irnbru

Post by irnbru » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:15 am

How about Adolf?

onkko

Post by onkko » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:45 am

Oh please dont. If you really need then make middle name finnish.
He is one who has to blend in american way and if you name him jose or erkki you @#$% him up.
If you really have to then look at names what are easy for others. I have no idea what those are. Finnish names

John is good since John Morton, one of who wrote declaration of independence, was Marttinen before name change (grandparents from finland).
"good american name".... heres finnish names http://www.etunimet.net/poikien-nimet/
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

AnaTeresa

Post by AnaTeresa » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:31 pm

What crossed my mind considering the amount of spanish-speakers at the US ;-)
Lumi is a slang word for whore in spanish.....
Kari means sweety or darling
Asko means disgusting
Miko means little-tiny (not very respective I would say) and it is also a common name for a pet

Most of the rest sound funny but are acceptable in Spanish.

Ana

Hiljasmom

Post by Hiljasmom » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:50 am

onkko wrote:Oh please dont. If you really need then make middle name finnish.
He is one who has to blend in american way and if you name him jose or erkki you @#$% him up.
If you really have to then look at names what are easy for others. I have no idea what those are. Finnish names

John is good since John Morton, one of who wrote declaration of independence, was Marttinen before name change (grandparents from finland).
"good american name".... heres finnish names http://www.etunimet.net/poikien-nimet/
John would be so common paired with our very common last name that there would be THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS with the same name. It's so boring. Funny that you'd think using a Finnish name would be so sad instead of something to be proud of. We'd much rather pay tribute to our family.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:54 am

I thought Americans named their kids after themselves like dynasties, so theres Kyle Jr and Kyle Sr and Kyle XIV :lol: . I'd still go with Jesus.. less chance somebodys named their dog after you...
Last edited by Pursuivant on Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hiljasmom

Post by Hiljasmom » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:04 am

AnaTeresa wrote:What crossed my mind considering the amount of spanish-speakers at the US ;-)
Lumi is a slang word for whore in spanish.....
Kari means sweety or darling
Asko means disgusting
Miko means little-tiny (not very respective I would say) and it is also a common name for a pet

Most of the rest sound funny but are acceptable in Spanish.

Ana
I'm surprised that the concern for Spanish speakers is so high on this Finnish forum. Yes, the US is the 5th largest Spanish-speaking country, but the concentration of the areas is really something to pay attention to. Here is a map (although dated) showing the location of most of the Spanish speakers in the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_la ... countr.gif

We are from the upper Midwest and now live in the upper Northwest which aren't the most diverse areas in America at all. I attended a predominantly Norwegian college with students by the name Kari, Bjorn, Berit, Ingrid, Marit and so on, and my husband is in the medical field and his classmates/professors were more likely to be Indian or Asian.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:18 am

Well considering the recent news of the Obama Amnesty its not surprising.