School Test for first grade.

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
saleciahost

Post by saleciahost » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:09 pm

Has anyone had any experience with testing a child early to get into first grade (to enter ayear early).
I am looking for a school readiness test that must be conducted in Finland befriend July 28th and August 4th
Does anyone know a child psychologist or psychiatrist who can conduct this.
We move to Finland on July 28 and the school entrance test is August 4th. We have been told by the school that we must have the test done before the test.
Please help.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

sabrina_fi

Re: School Test for first grade.

Post by sabrina_fi » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:02 pm

Hello Saleciahost,
I think I can reply your question.
We are living in Finland and decided send my daughter to the English school one year earlier than age 7. She attends the psychological test when she was 5 years and 6 months.
The test was held in the pikkujätti (a private clinic). There have 3 kids psychological doctors can make it. The language can be both Finland and English.
The cost is about 140 e per time, normally it takes 2 or 3 times. (most probably 2 times is enough).
The test takes about 40 mins of each. First the doctor discuss with parents (15 mins), then to play with kid alone (30 mins).
The doctor have their way to measure whether the kids is ready to go to the school one year earlier or not. My daughter is quite shy, she is difficult open herself to strangers. But Finally she past the test. Her friend, a very cute, talkative girl attends the same test with the same doctor but failed.

The annual English school entrance test was in Feb. I would say the best time to attend the psychological test is the beginning of December. Because the test is quite expensive, it is wise to wait until kids are few months older.

If the school test is in Aug, you must call Pikkujätti as early as possible. Not sure whether the doctor will take their summer holiday in July. Usually it is quite difficult to book the time in summer.