Registered partnership?

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.

Re: Student in Finland, engaged to Finn, register partnershi

Post by 007 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:02 pm

zamv16 wrote:However, I have been reading how should we live together for 2 years before I am able to apply for a change of my permit type B to a type A, anyone has any insight information about it? Mainly because if this is true, I should renew further 2 permits in order to meet the criteria for in the future change my status. Also, now that we are going to start living together, should we put my name also in his current rent agreement (since I am moving to his place) to be able to show this as a proof of living together?
I am sure it's somewhere in migri.fi where it states that a couple should live together (be registered at the same address) for 2 years. So, putting also your name as a tenant is imperative. and the countdown starts from the day you two are officially together.
Furthermore, would it be helpful if anyone know what kind of certificate of impediment it is required to register the partnership? According to the Maistraatti, the certificate should state that there are no impediments to the civil partnership. As far as I know, my country of origin does not issue such paper, and I was reading one post saying that a some have sworn an affidavit at the Embassay saying that one is not married or that any previous marriages have been terminated. Anyone with knowledge of this? Also in the sense that the Maistraatti requieres the certificate to be legalised according to the provisions of the Finnish Marriage Decree... who knows what does this mean?
Certificate of impediment basically states that you are not married because..well, Finland does not permit polygamy. Country of your origin should issue such paper. Contact your relatives or friends for their help. Municipality of your old residence....or any office that keeps such records should provide the certificate. You should also have Finnish embassy in your country put a stamp on it.
I hope I am not getting too far beyong myself on this issue, but I would like to cover all this points before we actually set a date for the civil registration, since to be honest, I am still nervous of moving in together and the possibility of actually starting to build a life together frightens me as hell, and would like these 'legal' matters to have only their proper level of weight when analyising our life together further.

Greetings!
Civil registration will quicken getting A permit if everything goes as normal...esp, the interview part. If you are nervous about moving in together, why are you contemplating about it? Is your partner forcing you to move in? or you have A permit in the back of your mind? in former case, you should ask for more time and think over the relationship. In the latter case, well....

“Go where you are celebrated – not tolerated."
"Aina, kun opit uuden sanan, opettele samalla sen monikko!"

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:38 pm

zamv16 wrote: I am guy from a non-EU country, about to complete my master's degree (althought, I have to renew my permit before finishing my studies later in august). Almost from the start I begun to date a Finn, last month we got engaged and had already plans to start living together begining of August and to register our partnership in January or February. However, I have been reading how should we live together for 2 years before I am able to apply for a change of my permit type B to a type A, anyone has any insight information about it?
The two year rule only applies if you haven't registered partnership (=cohabitation). Since you plan to register, you can apply for the A permit immediately after registration.
zamv16 wrote: Mainly because if this is true, I should renew further 2 permits in order to meet the criteria for in the future change my status. Also, now that we are going to start living together, should we put my name also in his current rent agreement (since I am moving to his place) to be able to show this as a proof of living together?
It's enough to share the address in the population register, the rent agreement does not need to have both names (and it's often better that way since otherwise joint permission is needed to terminate it).
zamv16 wrote: Furthermore, would it be helpful if anyone know what kind of certificate of impediment it is required to register the partnership? According to the Maistraatti, the certificate should state that there are no impediments to the civil partnership. As far as I know, my country of origin does not issue such paper, and I was reading one post saying that a some have sworn an affidavit at the Embassay saying that one is not married or that any previous marriages have been terminated. Anyone with knowledge of this? Also in the sense that the Maistraatti requieres the certificate to be legalised according to the provisions of the Finnish Marriage Decree... who knows what does this mean?
You do not say your country of origin, so it's hard to help.

http://www.maistraatti.fi/en/Services/p ... 0documents
Last edited by betelgeuse on Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onkko

Post by onkko » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:42 pm

You need paper from your country what says "according to our records he/she is not married"
That 2 years rule is for non married couples. If non married couple is together in same apartment 2 years its counted as married couple.
Registered partnership is for man/man woman/woman "marriages", if you arent one you are looking civil marriage. There is no many real differences tho.
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:55 pm

zamv16 wrote: I have talk to him and he is not sure of how to put my name on the apartment agreement, so he suggested me just to go to Maistraatti and change my address there (as Betelgeuse said), but now I am wondering if I have to notify all TAX office and post office also of the change?
You would get the name on the lease by signing a new one with the landlord (the landlord can refuse). You can do the address change online in http://www.posti.fi. Tax office and post office (and a bunch of other entities like banks) will get automatically notified.
zamv16 wrote: I was reading in Migri and I guess the rule of 2 years it doesn't apply for my case, but still, I am wondering if I should/can apply for change of permit type right after the registartion takes place??? I mean, I am positive that I can renew my permit this year in august as student, but if we do proceed with the registration after, I was thinking I was supossed to wait until the next permit should be renewed.
On A permit you will be eligible for, for example, student benefits. It makes sense to apply as soon as possible.

Rip

Post by Rip » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:27 pm

zamv16 wrote:As far as I know, my country of origin does not issue such paper, and I was reading one post saying that a some have sworn an affidavit at the Embassay saying that one is not married or that any previous marriages have been terminated. Anyone with knowledge of this? Also in the sense that the Maistraatti requieres the certificate to be legalised according to the provisions of the Finnish Marriage Decree... who knows what does this mean?
Legalization depend on your country of origin (= whether your country has joined this or not: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostille_Convention )
Also what kind of documentation is available or accepted varies. Ask from the maistraatti were you intend to get your partnership registered, as they must know what kind of paperwork they will accept.

Kayttaja1

Post by Kayttaja1 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:51 pm

roger_roger wrote:And another crap bureaucracy in Finland that should be cut down.

Immigrants are generalized in terms of Permit, A, B and P. this is ridiculous compared to other countries. In most countries Permanent permit based on family ties are issued within 2 years, here they put the crap of 1 year and 4 year and bla bla. 6 months of co-habitation would be enough to issue residence permit, but holy cow they bang on 2 years quota.
Whereabout in the world are these "most" countries? Finland is super easy for immigration if you cross the t´s and dot the i´s. :lol:

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:37 pm

Yeah. Try Australia :D

Unless you're a rich Chinese dude..... It is often more difficult and more costly than Finland. People have to pay $1000's of dollars.

Rip

Post by Rip » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:29 am

roger_roger wrote:
Flossy1978 wrote:Yeah. Try Australia :D

Unless you're a rich Chinese dude..... It is often more difficult and more costly than Finland. People have to pay $1000's of dollars.
It says 2 years in Australia for Permanent Visa based on family ties. http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/309-#sub-heading-4

I assume everybody has to pay the same fee for Visa processing be it rich Chinese dude or poor Finnish Palvelija
The cohabitation requirement is btw 12 months there instead of the six you seem to think is the standard. The spouse in Australia would be responsible for financial support for the following two years.

betelgeuse

Re: Registered partnership?

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:48 pm

zamv16 wrote: 1. Does anyone in here know if there it is any custom regarding the ring thing in a registered partnership? We bought like really simple (and cheap) rings, since none of us really feel keen to buy some of those big and heavy rings (none of us like to wear any sort of jewelry, but are we expected to upgrade them at all for the civil registration at the maistraatti or is just one's decision to exchange rings or how is it done?
Finnish state does not care about your rings. They have no legal significance for civil ceremony.
zamv16 wrote: 2. I was reading http://www.maistraatti.fi/en/Services/m ... rtnership/ at the it is stated that a prenuptial agreement should be done... Does anyone in here know if we required a lawyer to draft this paper or can we do it on ourselves and just legalise it at Maistraatti?
It's optional. It's not mandatory to use a lawyer.
zamv16 wrote: 3. Finally, I was talking with my fiancé about his job and so on... and he mentioned he has a heavy loan at the bank (for which he gave a payment just yesterday)... And I got worried... I mean, the prenuptial agreement would mean that in case we decide to part ways we leave the relationship with the assests we arrived with, however, would I be liable in his current or future loans only for being in a registered partnership with him?
You will not be liable for current or future loans of your spouse. You are only liable for loans that you explicitly co-sign or guarantee.
zamv16 wrote: Also because I know same-sex marriage has been accepted in Finland, most likely to take effect in 2017, will that affect the registered partnerships which occured before that?
Most likely they will be converted to marriages.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:59 pm

zamv16 wrote: I keep reading a lot of what we need to do in order to be prepare for the civil registratation, but then i ran into many posts where it says that people waiting for decision on residence permit on family ties basis might wait well into 6 months in order to get an answer, which it means that the applicant stays in limbo in Finland without being able to legally study or work...
While an application is processed your previous permit stays valid. Having a valid residence permit is not a requirement for university enrollment (but completing studies without ability to reside is probably very hard if not impossible). Since you hold a B permit, you can continue working under the student rules.
zamv16 wrote: But I don't know if that applies for me as well, I plan to graduate as early as december, but I am currently employed in 2 different contracts for part-time jobs (because as student I can work up to 25h/week)... Therefore my dilemma, if we got registered either begining of next year (and if something happens and I cannot graduate before the year ends), would that mean I could not enrolled for next semester at school if needed or keep my part-time jobs?
It would not.

Rip

Post by Rip » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:28 pm

zamv16 wrote: 2. I was reading http://www.maistraatti.fi/en/Services/m ... rtnership/ at the it is stated that a prenuptial agreement should be done... Does anyone in here know if we required a lawyer to draft this paper or can we do it on ourselves and just legalise it at Maistraatti?
It's optional. It's not mandatory to use a lawyer.
Just adding here that Maistraatti only makes "registration" of the agreement, they do not check in any way if the agreement is valid or enforceable. If you're uncertain about what you're doing, paying for a lawyer would probably be wise.