Advice needed - warm jacket for kids

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
booktraveller2

Post by booktraveller2 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:03 pm

Hello all - We are living in Finland until the end of December, and I find that I will need to buy new winter jackets for our boys who are 9 and 11.

The jackets I brought from home are not waterproof (despite the water-proofing treatment I have them before we left) and I am also finding them hard to wash well. We are living in a building with a drying room, so I can't dry them in the dryer with tennis balls, as the instructions in the jackets suggest, and haven't found a good way to fluff them back up (the shaking them throughout the day method hasn't worked well with these jackets). I even thought about using the tool for carpets on them, but they are already losing feathers left and right, and I don't think they could withstand that treatment :).

Anyway - could anyone suggest a favorite store/brand for boys' winter jackets? Looking for something that is warm, waterproof, and washes/dries well without a dryer.

Thanks!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Re: Advice needed - warm jacket for kids

Post by Rosamunda » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:10 am

Try XXL and talk to the staff, explain your problem. I would avoid anything that is down filled since you will always have the feather problem and they are rarely waterproof. Goretex (or similar eg Reimatec) might be better.

https://www.xxl.fi/vaatteet/lasten-ja-n ... t/c/120608

irnbru

Post by irnbru » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:18 pm

Stadium for good quality budget ones. For really good ones get a ticket.

Karhunkoski

Post by Karhunkoski » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:16 am

It is possible to re-fluff down without tennis balls. Shaking wont help. You will need to methodically work through each baffled area, feeling through the outer material and slowly teasing each clump of down through the fabric, gently pulling it apart with your fingers. There's no quick solution. I've done a sleeping bag and it took about 6 x 30 mins sessions over 3 days. A good task to give to your kids, during the darker evenings :)
Political correctness is the belief that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:37 am

I wouldn't bother with anything as warm as down jacket if one isn't going to use it during proper winter. Something that is easy to wash plus layers of something warm would be my choice. Fleece or wool under a jacket that keeps wind and water out.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

tuttu

Post by tuttu » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:24 pm

school kids that age usually make a sport of resisting proper warm clothing in winter, boys and girls.
so make sure you make a good choice.
maybe check with the other parents?

for younger kids i wholeheartedly recommend the layered clothing, but i'm not sure about 9-11.
also second hand shops can have really good stuff, or frequent "pihakirppis" = flea markets in your neighborhood, school.

waterproof is important, maybe even more important than heat insulation.

if you leave before christmas, chances are that winter hasn't started properly = temepratures around 0 C during daytime.'

edit:
oops. big oops. i just noticed that you didn't say where in finland.
i kind of assumed the south coast.

booktraveller2

Post by booktraveller2 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:17 am

Thanks for all of the ideas and suggestions! We're in Central Finland, btw - I should have added that.

I checked UHH without any luck, but in the end we bought him a waterproof, somewhat insulated jacket at Stadium (was even on sale - yay!) that has been working really well and that he really likes. Unlike his jacket from home (that is shedding feathers left and right anyway :)), this one has a lot of reflectors, which is also really nice as it gets darker.