Looking for english-speaking daycare around Pasila

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
dingodash

Post by dingodash » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:35 am

Hello everybody!
Me and my daughter, both from the United States, are going to be moving to Finland in a couple of months, where my fiancé lives. We plan to be staying in Finland for the foreseeable future, at least 2 years.
Everything has been taken care of and we couldn't be happier.
However my daughter is five years-old and doesn't speak any Finnish. My fiancé and me are both going to be working full-time and will not be able to take care of her during the day. So we are asking if anybody knows of an English-speaking day-care around the area of Pasila that would be the right fit for her, especially on such short notice.
We considered hiring a nanny but decided that being exposed to other kids her age, Finnish and international culture, would be the better choice for her.

Can anybody point me in the right direction?
Thank you and have a nice day!
Last edited by dingodash on Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Flossy1978

Re: Looking for english-speakng daycare around Pasila

Post by Flossy1978 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:35 am

I don't know where the English daycares are. But I do know it can be hard to get into them. Any daycare actually. Sometimes the lists are long. You might try to get into a private one. All daycares are good, but sometimes the private ones offer a little more, than the Government ones. My son went to both a Government and a private. They were both excellent. But the private one just went a little bit more towards making spending the day there better. My son got to start ice-skating and skiing every week in winter, at the age of four in the private one. I didn't pay more than I did for the Government one.

Most adults and a lot of even young kids these days are good with English.

Your daughter is so young. You should really think about putting her in a Finnish Daycare. The adults can talk English to her. Being immerse in the language all day is very beneficial for her. She'll pick up Finnish pretty easily and be able to play with children in the neighbourhood, etc. If you have her in an English Daycare, there's very little hope of finding friends outside to play with, if she can't communicate. She will really be alright in a Finnish Daycare. She's so young. It'll be pretty easy! :)

Rip

Re: Looking for english-speaking daycare around Pasila

Post by Rip » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:17 am

If there is a even a fairly good chance that you're staying here for good then I'd too recommend a Finnish day care. I think she would manage quite OK and learn Finnish the easy way before school age. Education paths in English language in later years are limited here.