Divorsing when living together outside Finland

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
Toqeer123

Post by Toqeer123 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:32 am

Hello guys,
Me and My wife moved in together in Dec 2013 and got married in Oct 2014.
In 2015 june we moved to Sweden and since then we have been living in Sweden.
Things are getting a bit dificult between and it is a possibilty that we will divorce in a few months or so.
The questions I have are
Do we have to file a divorce in Finland as we got married in Turku or as both our addresses are registered in Sweden now must we file a divorce here?
We also have registered address in Finland but just to get the posts and everything
I would really like to get some help on this topic.
This has been a very helpful blog for the information on how to file a divorse but i am a bit confused about this particular scenario of me and her living outside Finland as a married couple for a year now, does it makes a cahnge in divorce application or remains the same as in mentioned in other posts..

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Oombongo

Re: Divorsing when living together outside Finland

Post by Oombongo » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:29 am

Toqeer123 wrote:Hello guys,
Me and My wife moved in together in Dec 2013 and got married in Oct 2014.
In 2015 june we moved to Sweden and since then we have been living in Sweden.
Things are getting a bit dificult between and it is a possibilty that we will divorce in a few months or so.
The questions I have are
Do we have to file a divorce in Finland as we got married in Turku or as both our addresses are registered in Sweden now must we file a divorce here?
We also have registered address in Finland but just to get the posts and everything
I would really like to get some help on this topic.
This has been a very helpful blog for the information on how to file a divorse but i am a bit confused about this particular scenario of me and her living outside Finland as a married couple for a year now, does it makes a cahnge in divorce application or remains the same as in mentioned in other posts..
One more victim of a Finnish woman in divorce stats :mrgreen:
Since your marriage is registered in Finland so I imagine that you would need to apply for divorce in Finland too. Know of one dude back in 2010 who applied for divorce from Ireland as his ex-wife was Finnish. The process is fairly simple and no need to visit to Finland.
http://www.suomi.fi/suomifi/suomi/asioi ... index.html

And if you really need official word then here is the contact information of maistraatti in Turku:
http://www.maistraatti.fi/en/Contact-In ... ku-branch/

I can't get from your initial message if your marriage was also registered in Sweden or not. If not, then no need to worry about it. But it won't hurt to contact the local Swedish authorities.
Image Image

betelgeuse

Re: Divorsing when living together outside Finland

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:21 am

Toqeer123 wrote: The questions I have are
You file in Sweden since neither is a Finnish resident.
Oombongo wrote: Since your marriage is registered in Finland so I imagine that you would need to apply for divorce in Finland too. Know of one dude back in 2010 who applied for divorce from Ireland as his ex-wife was Finnish. The process is fairly simple and no need to visit to Finland.
Registration in Finland is irrelevant for jurisdiction of Finnish courts for divorce.

http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/1 ... 234#L3P119