Montessori schools in Helsinki area?

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
mask

Post by mask » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:37 am

Greetings! I am temporarily relocating with my family to Finland, including two children who will be ages 9 and 7. We will be there for a short time, 6 months. The children currently are in an American montessori school. Since we will be in Finland for a fairly short time, ideally I'd like to keep them in the same Montessori learning environment and English-language. I have been unable to find any information about Montessori beyond kindergarten and preschooll age in Finland. Do they exist? Any help appreciated.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Upphew

Re: Montessori schools in Helsinki area?

Post by Upphew » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:33 pm

mask wrote:Greetings! I am temporarily relocating with my family to Finland, including two children who will be ages 9 and 7. We will be there for a short time, 6 months. The children currently are in an American montessori school. Since we will be in Finland for a fairly short time, ideally I'd like to keep them in the same Montessori learning environment and English-language. I have been unable to find any information about Montessori beyond kindergarten and preschooll age in Finland. Do they exist? Any help appreciated.
Niittykumpu school and Ruusutorppa school in Espoo and Herttoniemi in Helsinki came up in montessori.fi
I'd start googling and contacting from the Espoo as they have English pages and seem to offer instruction in English too.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:46 pm

I guess they would be pre-schools. I'm not sure there are many State-funded Montessori primary schools that teach in English. And the Steiner schools teach in Finnish. And getting a place for only 6 months will be tricky. You're asking a lot.

mask

Post by mask » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:27 pm

Thank you, Upphew, for pointing me to that website. I had been looking on it via mobile, but none of the links showed up. After your post, I used my computer and able to access more info on their site.

Rosamunda, the good thing is that lodging is handled by my work. I am not opposed to private english language montessori but was having trouble finding any that went beyond kindergarten. I thought it might be easiest to stay in the similar school system as they currently know and will return to, but then again, I understand Finland is so very well known for their excellent public schools!

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:26 am

I think maybe we are at cross-purposes. I wasn't trying to highlight the fact that you have to pay (I think all Steiner schools ARE state funded but parents do have to make a contribution) - I was merely trying to emphasise the fact that none of them teach in English.

mask

Post by mask » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:43 pm

Rosamunda wrote:I think maybe we are at cross-purposes. I wasn't trying to highlight the fact that you have to pay (I think all Steiner schools ARE state funded but parents do have to make a contribution) - I was merely trying to emphasise the fact that none of them teach in English.
Ah! I misunderstood - state funded with parent contributions is new to me. Appreciate the response, this forum has a lot of very useful information, I'm grateful!

Cmpc

Post by Cmpc » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:07 am

mask wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:37 am
Greetings! I am temporarily relocating with my family to Finland, including two children who will be ages 9 and 7. We will be there for a short time, 6 months. The children currently are in an American montessori school. Since we will be in Finland for a fairly short time, ideally I'd like to keep them in the same Montessori learning environment and English-language. I have been unable to find any information about Montessori beyond kindergarten and preschooll age in Finland. Do they exist? Any help appreciated.
Hello Mask, did you manage to find a proper public school for your kids? I am planning to have a temporary relocation and would be useful to know how it went in your case. We are going to be in Hki at the end of the academic year 2018-2109 and for the first half of 2019-2020.
Thanks!

mask

Post by mask » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:33 pm

We ended up sending our children to Espoo International School. We all had a very positive experience this year there. It is so different than the American school system even despite that our children have attended Montessori schools from age 3 to 10 and will continue in Montessori when we return to the US.