School holiday care for 9 year old

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
AnnikaL

Post by AnnikaL » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:59 am

I have been offered a university post in Lappeenranta and am considering the move fro the UK with my family, at least for the term of the post. My daughter (soon to be 9) would need to start school there. My question is, how is child care normally handled in this age group during the long holidays amongst working parents? I can't find much about this, anywhere. Are there holiday time clubs that you can pay for, as in the UK, and if so how much do these generally cost? Thanks.

Image Image
Hämä-hämähäkki kiipes langalle

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Upphew

Re: School holiday care for 9 year old

Post by Upphew » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:23 am

AnnikaL wrote:I have been offered a university post in Lappeenranta and am considering the move fro the UK with my family, at least for the term of the post. My daughter (soon to be 9) would need to start school there. My question is, how is child care normally handled in this age group during the long holidays amongst working parents? I can't find much about this, anywhere. Are there holiday time clubs that you can pay for, as in the UK, and if so how much do these generally cost? Thanks.
I've got no idea, but you could try to pick your peers' brains: https://www.facebook.com/groups/139987206096702/
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

AnnikaL

Post by AnnikaL » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:52 pm

Thanks, that looks a good resource though it could stretch my only semi-native Finnish skills. I guess this is a general issue that all Finnish working parents face at some point. In fact, I could ask my cousin who has three children.
Image Image

StellaS

Post by StellaS » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:29 pm

I don't know about Lappeenranta, but in many places there's different day activities for the younger school children in June, which end around midsummer. That takes care of three weeks of the ten week school holidays. If booth parents work full time, they shoul have about four weeks of summer holiday, which covers the rest of the kid's summer holiday. However, this is not possible in all jobs. But if the child is nine, he or she would be expected to take care of herself during the parents work day. It helps if the parents have flexible working hours.

AnnikaL

Post by AnnikaL » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:52 pm

Thanks. It really sounds quite similar to the UK, in fact. Similar problems, similar solutions. My cousin told me not to worry about it, which was probably good advice....
Image Image

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:04 am

Grandparents seem to be relied upon quite a lot... the children are packed off to the family mökki for a week or two. Some parents have to stagger their holidays. And there are camps organised often for a week or two in June and then again at the beginning of August but I'm not sure about Lappeenranta.
The school year starts in the second week of August so much earlier than in the UK.

AnnikaL

Post by AnnikaL » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:49 pm

It seems as though the university will be quite flexible and also she can come on a plane back to the UK for some time with nanny, grandads and mummi. It's looking like on Tuesday morning I'll be writing to accept the offer. Fun times ahead!
Image Image