Permanent residence - registered partnership - divorce

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
LightTravel

Post by LightTravel » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:49 pm

Greetings to all of you kind people,

Thank you in advance for your time to read this question, I appreciate it a lot!

I tried to find the answer to my question on this forum and through some friends from Migri, but I didn't find the same cases like mine. That's why I thought I could try and ask here.

My question is: will I lose a permanent residence status in Finland after me and my partner get divorced?
I will add little bit more information about my situation: I have met my partner 2009, while I was still living in non EU country. So I have moved to Finland in autumn 2011, just because of our relationship, but I have got my first visa as a professional athlete which was valid until April 2012. I could get my next temporary residence again as a professional athlete, but we decided to get married, so I applied based on family ties.
Since we were already together for almost 3 years by that April 2012, and since we planned to anyways get married/registered, we have made it in March 2012.

Then I applied for my first A residence permit which was valid for 1 year. I have got it very soon, without any problems. In summer 2012 I started my own company here in Finland, which developed and grew a lot until now.
In April 2013 I applied for prolongation of my residence permit, and I have got it also without any problems. So that new residence permit was granted for the next 4 years, until the April 2017.

In March 2017 I applied for a permanent residence permit, and again, there were no problems and I got it after only 3 weeks, even though they told me in Migri that it could take up to 2 months of waiting time.

I am self employed and I support my living by myself, I am paying my taxes and all other needed things. I never had any problems here.

The thing that happened just few weeks ago is that my partner was cheating on me, and for me that came out of nowhere...the thing is that I am now thinking about the divorce, but I don't want to rush things before we are both sure that is the best decision. What I would like to know is: am I going to loose my permanent residence status if we get divorced?

I have read on Migri web pages that "If the family tie no longer exists, a residence permit granted on that basis will not necessarily be extended. It is also possible that your residence permit currently in force will be cancelled."

I know the sure option for me would be to apply for the citizenship, but since I work very specific work with unusual work times, which includes a lot of traveling, I don't have time to apply for a language course to get ready for YKI. So citizenship has to wait little bit, until I can organize my life in a way that I can have enough of time to prepare for YKI.

Thank you so much once again for your answers!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Flossy1978

Re: Permanent residence - registered partnership - divorce

Post by Flossy1978 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:26 pm

I had Permanent Residence when I got divorced. I had no issues. Maybe the rules have changed? But I don't think so.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:21 am

Flossy1978 wrote:I had Permanent Residence when I got divorced. I had no issues. Maybe the rules have changed? But I don't think so.
They have not.

LightTravel

Post by LightTravel » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:45 am

betelgeuse wrote:
Flossy1978 wrote:I had Permanent Residence when I got divorced. I had no issues. Maybe the rules have changed? But I don't think so.
They have not.

So that means the divorce should have no implications on my permanent residence? :)

LightTravel

Post by LightTravel » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:45 am

When have you done it? :) I mean, was it a long time ago?

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:13 am

The other poster said the rules haven't changed. You will be fine. Don't worry about it.