When Finnish Wife/Husband Dies?

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
aqua91

Post by aqua91 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:57 am

Hi. I am wondering something. What if an immigrant has a wife or husband and he/she dies before the immigrant gets the 4 year long of residence permit in Finland? Does government send you back to your country or help you financially and psychologically? :cry:

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

theelephantmum

Re: When Finnish Wife/Husband Dies?

Post by theelephantmum » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:53 pm

I do not know for sure, but from the little I know and I have witnessed, if you don't have grounds to renew your residence permit (i.e. a job/ study reasons), you may repatriated. If you have kids, who would then be Finnish citizens, I think they'd let you stay.
Regarding financial benefits, those apply when you have a Kela card, not citizenship. Not sure about psychological support from the State, but there are several NGOs which may help (ex. HDL).
:sun: My blog on parenting, adoption & living in Finland >> theelephantmum.wordpress.com :sun:
Instagram: @theelephantmum

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:27 pm

aqua91 wrote:What if an immigrant has a wife or husband and he/she dies before the immigrant gets the 4 year long of residence permit in Finland?
A residence permit (except P) can be cancelled, if the grounds don't exist any more.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:32 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
aqua91 wrote:What if an immigrant has a wife or husband and he/she dies before the immigrant gets the 4 year long of residence permit in Finland?
A residence permit (except P) can be cancelled, if the grounds don't exist any more.
Though I must amend this with the info that the supreme administrative court has deemed that cancellation is against the principles of proportionality in a case involving a death due to a work accident.

http://www.kho.fi/fi/index/paatoksia/vu ... 15422.html