How to admit in english spaeking school in espoo

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
deeponline

Post by deeponline » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:21 pm

Hi All,

We've moved to Espoo, Finland last year as a family and my office is in Espoo. Our son will turn 6 years in coming December and we are trying to decide what to do for her elementary school.

We all three are only English speaking, my son doesn't know any finnish language, however, he knows few nursery rhymes in english. He also knows little bit reading and writing in English language.

Since we were here, my son was attending a day care cum nursery (English) in Espoo and he is a pre-schooler now a days.

Is there any other English speaking schools except Espoo International School (EIS) in Espoo area. Is it really tough to get admission in EIS as we want him only to continue in english speaking schools due to my job requirements. What are the things will be checked during such admission tests in standard 1. Any idea/information will help us a lot as we have very limited options available. I can't afford any private english schools in helsinki and also heard that may not be allowed in schools in Helsinki being a resident of Espoo.

Does anyone have similar situation earlier? Seeking your advice or recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Re: How to admit in english spaeking school in espoo

Post by Rosamunda » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:04 pm

I think you should contact the school directly and explain your situation to the Principal and ask her advice. She is in the best position to give you the most up-to-date information regarding the availability of places and also the enrolment procedure. Also, tell your son's daycare about your plans and ask them what you can do to support his progress in English. If he is already starting to read and write in English, then I don't think he will have any problems getting in to Espoo International. By the way, I have heard rumours that it might be moving away from Suurpelto (to Otaniemi) but I have no idea if this is true.

http://www.espoo.fi/espoointernationalschool
You are most welcome to explore the website of Espoo International for more information. I also encourage you to contact us personally!
I look forward to the opportunity of meeting you in the near future,
Anne-Marie Rapo
Principal
Espoo International School
Principal
Anne-Marie Rapo
+358 9 816 85449
[email protected]

deeponline

Re: How to admit in english spaeking school in espoo

Post by deeponline » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:55 pm

Hi, thanks for your reply. I have tried to contact but was informed that it is not possible for them to meet every individual personally. Last year 60 kids were selected out of 220 applications (almost 25%) :( ...thats why seeking help for any information about the admission/selection procedure...
Rosamunda wrote:I think you should contact the school directly and explain your situation to the Principal and ask her advice. She is in the best position to give you the most up-to-date information regarding the availability of places and also the enrolment procedure. Also, tell your son's daycare about your plans and ask them what you can do to support his progress in English. If he is already starting to read and write in English, then I don't think he will have any problems getting in to Espoo International. By the way, I have heard rumours that it might be moving away from Suurpelto (to Otaniemi) but I have no idea if this is true.

http://www.espoo.fi/espoointernationalschool
You are most welcome to explore the website of Espoo International for more information. I also encourage you to contact us personally!
I look forward to the opportunity of meeting you in the near future,
Anne-Marie Rapo
Principal
Espoo International School
Principal
Anne-Marie Rapo
+358 9 816 85449
[email protected]