how to remove a loud dog from apartment building

Family life in Finland from kindergartens, child education, language schooling and everyday life. Share information and experiences. Network with other families.
stadinslangi

Post by stadinslangi » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:22 am

Dear fellows,

in the apartment that my friend lives, there moved in a new dog. It is four years old and excessively big. The owner is a young woman. She is working(?) and not staying at home much. So during the time she was out, the dog barks all the time. I am not sure if dog barks the same when she is at home but at least she can walk the dog out which leave neighbors a bit quiet time.
I saw the dog is big, not only body size, but also the loudness of the barking. I feel sympathy for the dog, the barking might mean it is lonely as well. But such a noisy maker is really a bit too much for neighborhood. I wonder if there is any such rules about what kind of dog is not suitable to be in apartment buildings or how they should be treated. Where the resident can complain it about it? Who will deal with it?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: how to remove a loud dog from apartment building

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:58 am

There aren't any restrictions regarding what kind of a dog can one have in an apartment. Contact the owner of the dog and the building manager (isännöitsijä). If there is a case of excessive noise, such that the housing cooperative (taloyhtiö) considers being a valid one (you and possibly other tenants may have to provide evidence), the owner will first be given an official warning, and if there's no change, ultimately the dog owner will have to move out. The warning and any possible further actions will have to come from the housing co-operative.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:05 pm

stadinslangi wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:22 am
Dear fellows,

in the apartment that my friend lives, there moved in a new dog. It is four years old and excessively big. The owner is a young woman. She is working(?) and not staying at home much. So during the time she was out, the dog barks all the time. I am not sure if dog barks the same when she is at home but at least she can walk the dog out which leave neighbors a bit quiet time.
I saw the dog is big, not only body size, but also the loudness of the barking. I feel sympathy for the dog, the barking might mean it is lonely as well. But such a noisy maker is really a bit too much for neighborhood. I wonder if there is any such rules about what kind of dog is not suitable to be in apartment buildings or how they should be treated. Where the resident can complain it about it? Who will deal with it?
Dogs should be treated like pets. No beating, no starving, proper exercise etc. Your friend should try to ring the doorbell and inform the owner that her dog barks all day when she isn't home. Then do it again in couple of weeks, if the barking continues. Then contact the manager.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

stadinslangi

Post by stadinslangi » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:35 pm

Thanks all. I will do accordingly.

The dog by its size definitely need more time to be out than staying in an apartment. I doubt if the owner let the dog to use the whole apartment.

wolf80

Post by wolf80 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:21 pm

stadinslangi wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:35 pm
Thanks all. I will do accordingly.

The dog by its size definitely need more time to be out than staying in an apartment. I doubt if the owner let the dog to use the whole apartment.

I also would try to work together with the owner. There would be training methods that can be used for barking dogs, and there are also devices such as 'lemon collars' that help train the dog. (Basically, it's a collar that sprays mild lemon juice in the dogs face every time he barks. Can be highly effective, but doesn't work on all dogs. )

stadinslangi

Post by stadinslangi » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:00 am

Thanks Wolf :)

the dog owner finally choose to sell the house and move out to country side. I think this is the best for everyone, especially to the dog :thumbsup: