Moving FROM EU with my Car

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Sighthound

Post by Sighthound » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:58 pm

I'm moving to Finland in March and want to bring my car ( Italian Car )...how much will cost me to register it in finland?

will be imported as removal with all my stuff (is an old Hyundai i30 from 2011 ), Diesel, 1.6

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Ligence

Re: Moving FROM EU with my Car

Post by Ligence » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:40 pm

To register it here, you have to pay the import tax. The only 2011 Hyundai i30 1.6 diesel imported last year had an odometer reading of 77tkm, and the import tax was 1295 €. If yours has been driven more than that, then the tax ought to be lower.

Registration fee + licence plates is about 200 €.

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:49 am

And your yearly tax for that car will be 625€

Sighthound

Post by Sighthound » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:58 am

yes but i'm not importing...the car is already mine and i'm going t bring it with me when i move...there was not a tax reduction if i import it as aprt of removal goods?

The car have 170.000 KM

Also, how the annual tax is calcualted?

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:47 am

There is not anymore any tax deduction for imported cars.

You can calculate yearly tax from here: https://www.trafi.fi/tieliikenne/verotu ... rolaskurit

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:04 pm

When in March and where in Finland?
You might need winter tyres etc to get it registered... But I guess you've got all that info already.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:03 pm

Rosamunda wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:04 pm
When in March and where in Finland?
You might need winter tyres etc to get it registered... But I guess you've got all that info already.
Nah, you can drive to inspection with summer tyres, if you want. I wouldn't want.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Sighthound

Post by Sighthound » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:41 pm

Moving in March to Kotka.

yes about winter tyres is fine but i'm trying to understand how muh the import tax will be...we got two car ( one is mine and one of my girlfriend ):

Hyundai i30 - 2012, purchased in 2013, with 170.000 KM, Diesel, EUR 5, 1.6 CRDI - ITALIAN CAR

And
Ford Grand Tourneo, 2016, purchased in 2017, with 50.000 km, Diesel, EUR 6, 1.6 diesel, UK RHD car!

The Second question is: how much time could i wait before register it as removal?

As we move in March but we are not sure to stay more than 6 months...let's say that the first six months are " trial " period....then we decide if go back to uk or not

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:53 pm

Both cars are diesel besides one time import tax you will pay a lot of car tax per year. Gasoline cars will be cheaper. Diesel is fine as long as you drive more. E.g over 20k per year. Diesel is about 0.20-0.30 cheaper than gasoline.

Legally you cannot drive a foreign registered car in Finland if you reside in Finland. However you can drive it at your own risk. If they catch you may need to remove the car next day. Many Estonians are driving for years paying 0 taxes in Finland but they probably do it by keeping residence in Estonia.

Sighthound

Post by Sighthound » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:33 pm

So basically i can drive up to 6 months ( a i will be resident if i spent more than 6 months in the country )... before import the car!

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:23 pm

You will need to register, if both of you are EU citizens, after max 3 months. But without registration you don't get personal identity number and you cannot do anything without it. E.g. rent a house or get a bank account.

Sighthound

Post by Sighthound » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:45 pm

yes i will register before 3 months but i will become resident only after 6...

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:18 pm

Be careful with regards to insurance.

I knew a couple who were living in Finland and driving a UK reg car, which they crashed. The car was a write-off but the UK insurance company refused to scrap the car in Finland (it would have had to be officially imported into Finland in order for it to be scrapped in Finland). I'm not sure what the outcome was (several years ago) but the insurance company didn't want to pay up because they had found out the couple had been living in Finland for several years. Luckily no third party was involved in the accident.

It used to be possible to bring a car into Finland, tax-free, as a temporary import. Permission is granted on a case-by-case basis by the tax authorities. https://www.vero.fi/en/individuals/vehi ... xempt_use/
I suggest you call them (they answer enquiries in English) if you are not sure what to do.

(BTW, You are a "resident" here as soon as you register and start paying tax here unless you can prove that you are permanently resident (and paying tax) somewhere else. )

Sighthound

Post by Sighthound » Tue May 22, 2018 9:15 am

So, 3 months are gone almost, i've got the appointment next week with Migri to register my right to stay here as EU citizen.

Now...We got our two foreign car with us ( one is italian and one is British ).... who do i need to speak with to understand how much it will cost to register them here?

Just to have an idea if is worth it or if is better to sell them in origin country..........

Just need information now, i don't want to register it yet...

Which is th eright office?