HELP!!!

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
antj

HELP!!!

Post by antj » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:52 pm

I moved to Tampere from the UK 6 weeks ago and I'm having a bit of a nightmare with getting registered at the police station!
A week ago I started a design placement at a company here but because i don't get paid, they won't register me. I'm aware that I can get money through KELLA because I'm only training at present but obviously without the documents from the police I can't do anything!!!
Does anyone know what I can do??? (without quickly going out and getting married)

HELP!!!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:21 pm

Is it a placement via an educational institution?
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

mono

Post by mono » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:23 pm

Get your boss to write you a letter saying you're getting paid such and such a month. They wanted a work contract from me, but I went to the Tampere police station with my passport, 40 euros (in cash they dont take cards), my magistrati letter (with your social security number on it) and a letter from my boss Howy Jacobs saying I was getting paid ect.

Once I get my bits of paper I'm off to get my kella card.

hope this helps.

tampereblue

Post by tampereblue » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:01 am

mono wrote:Get your boss to write you a letter saying you're getting paid such and such a month. They wanted a work contract from me, but I went to the Tampere police station with my passport, 40 euros (in cash they dont take cards), my magistrati letter (with your social security number on it) and a letter from my boss Howy Jacobs saying I was getting paid ect.

Once I get my bits of paper I'm off to get my kella card.

hope this helps.
Did I do things the wrong way round then...? I needed the registration papers from the police in order to get a letter from Maistraati with a number on it. I then took that to KELA to get my card.[/b]

antj

Post by antj » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:05 am

The placement isn't through an educational establishment. I sorted it out myself.

SteveS

Post by SteveS » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:26 am

Something is wrong here, as a UK citizen you are entitled to live and work in Finland freely. You do not need a work permit, you only need a residence permit which you get from the police station. It does not matter if you are working, getting a salary or not.
What should happen is you take your passport to the police station, queue up for 4 hours behind all the non-EU citizens. When you get to the front of the queue you simply give your passport, your filled in form, your €40 (I don't remember how much). After about 7 weeks you get your residence permit in the post which you then take to the maistraatti and register your residence there. You also get your social security from there but this is nothing to do with obtaining a residence permit.

Hope this helps.. It seems that the Tampere police are pulling your chain, the Helsinki police station at least know the score.

Best regards,

SteveS

AnaBanana

Post by AnaBanana » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:28 pm

I moved to Finland because of my work.

First thing I did was I went to the police, took my contract with and everything, ans applied for the residence permit. I didn't even have a house yet (I was living at a hotel; you can't apply for a residence permit if you tecnically don't have a residence), but we just put the company's address and it worked. Same day I went to maistraati with the papers from the police and got my finnish ID number.

After a few weeks I got my residence permit. And of course when I finally moved to my house I changed my address.

As for KELA, I completely forgot to apply. After many months I decided to call them saying that they'd never sent my kela card. And they told me I'd never applied for one!! :oops: I applied and was covered since the day I got the residence permit (retroactive).
ImageImage