Getting close to a job, now for the rest of my family....

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
marcb

Post by marcb » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:31 pm

Hi all,

My first post here and I'm already in the process of a serious job application.

Let me explain my situation first:
I'm Dutch but living in Italy with my (Italian) partner and our child (we are not married). Since I've worked in several countries already, looking for a job for me has always had an international nature.
Suddenly I find myself in a situation where a Finish company wants to potentially hire me for a long term contract with a very interesting pay.

Things are moving fast and I'm trying to figure out if we can pull this one off moving with the whole family.

Now granted we are all EU citizens, but since we are neither married (both my partner and child are Italian) nor are we officially partners due to the fact that my partner is still going through a divorce procedure with her ex (it takes 4 years over here to do a divorce)....

So what gives?... Does anyone know if I can bring my partner and child with me without a problem? I am the official father of our daughter so that shouldn't be a problem, but what about my partner (the mother of our daughter)?

As you might understand, before getting into details with this employer I first want to make sure we can all relocate to Finland. I'm not looking to separate our family for extended periods of time so if we can't I don't want to persue this opportunity.

Can anyone help or point me into the right direction to find some specific (not general I already found that myself) information on this?

Thanks a lot in advance for any tips!

Marc

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:35 pm

So if you're all EU citizens whats like the problem?

Chew on that legalese for a while... if its clear as mud blame the bureaucrats. :wink:
http://www.uvi.fi/netcomm/content.asp?path=8,2472,2492
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

marcb

Post by marcb » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:41 pm

Hank W. wrote:So if you're all EU citizens whats like the problem?
Well, that's what I'm trying to figure out: will there be a problem or not?

Seems to me that EU citizens need to:

a) Have a job
b) Enough resources to provide for themselves (varies in each country)
c) Relatives in the country they want to reside in
d) ???

Partners need to be official ones and my partner isn't in some respects (we are neither married nor officially registered as partners here in Italy) but is in others (since we are the parents of our daughter).

So you see, it's not as simple as it seems.... That's why I'm asking here. :wink:

Thanks for the link btw. :D

Marc

sammy

Post by sammy » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:45 pm

You could also check out the EURES website

http://europa.eu.int/eures

(to put it short it's a job mobility portal)

There should be a network of EURES advisers in Italy, you can search for their contact details on the EURES site.

Also the Finnish Ministry of Labour (or, employment offices) website may provide you with some answers. http://www.mol.fi

As far as I know, as you're both EU citizens there shouldn't be a problem. But you know, it's better to be safe than sorry... please do remember that we're not actually making any official decisions here and we're not necessarily experts on these issues so it's wise to contact the appropriate authorities if you have any doubts...

marcb

Post by marcb » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:12 pm

sammy wrote:As far as I know, as you're both EU citizens there shouldn't be a problem. But you know, it's better to be safe than sorry... please do remember that we're not actually making any official decisions here and we're not necessarily experts on these issues so it's wise to contact the appropriate authorities if you have any doubts...
Thanks for your reply Sammy, and I do agree with you here. I'm just trying to prevent us from encountering last minute problems that could ruin the whole undertaking of going to Finland.

I'll make sure to drop a line to the local Finnish embassy here in Rome; I'm sure they should be able to enlighten us about the details.

Thanks again for the advice and the link you provided, I'll check into that one as well.

Cheers! :D

Marc

littlefrank

Post by littlefrank » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:12 pm

Well I wasn't married to my partner, and I'm not Finnish, we have a child and I'm officially recognised as the father, so I can stay here even though we've now split up. Before our baby was born I had to get a residence permit and all they were interested in was, could I support myself. So if you can show you can support your partner and child (I assume you can from what you say about pay) then there'll be no problem.
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
- Popular Mechanics, 1949

sammy

Post by sammy » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:14 pm

Thanks for your reply Sammy, and I do agree with you here. I'm just trying to prevent us from encountering last minute problems that could ruin the whole undertaking of going to Finland.

I'll make sure to drop a line to the local Finnish embassy here in Rome; I'm sure they should be able to enlighten us about the details.

Thanks again for the advice and the link you provided, I'll check into that one as well.

Cheers! :D

Marc
Don't mention it - and nope, I was not underestimating the strength of this forum either, who knows someone who's been in the same situation will turn up & tell you exactly what you need to know :D

All the best

S

marcb

Post by marcb » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:23 pm

littlefrank wrote:Well I wasn't married to my partner, and I'm not Finnish, we have a child and I'm officially recognised as the father, so I can stay here even though we've now split up. Before our baby was born I had to get a residence permit and all they were interested in was, could I support myself. So if you can show you can support your partner and child (I assume you can from what you say about pay) then there'll be no problem.
Thanks a lot here littlefrank! Sounds like you had a situation there that resembles ours (or maybe yours was even more tricky than ours at the moment). Sorry to hear about the break up though... :?

I'm going to double check with the Finnish embassy anyway, but it seems to me (based upon your experiences) that we shouldn't have a problem at all.

First potential hurdle almost seems to be taken already. 8)

Marc

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:22 pm

marcb wrote: Partners need to be official ones and my partner isn't in some respects (we are neither married nor officially registered as partners here in Italy)
Well if she'd be a he then you'd be "officially registered partners". Doesn't "cohabitation" ring a bell? AFAICS from the visa applications for the non-EU category "2 years cohabiting" or "with a common child" is regarded as "family" fair & square.

You didn't read the page, did you? :wink:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.