How soon before moving should Residence Permit docs be done?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
moi

Post by moi » Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:41 am

I had the pleasure of speaking with a fellow member from NJ, USA and he suggested me getting going on this. I may not be moving for a year or so. Any ideas? And also still having residence in the US, do you think I could get the permit still having residence in the US. My wife is in Finland with a Green card for here. Would it be the same for me?

Just wondering a lot,
Rich

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:18 am

I'd say something like 3-6 months before. They may well "sit on them" sometimes. People have had variable experiences.

Basically yes, you'll be an "A5" alien - more or less a "green card", i.e. you can work & have a residence due to your wife's status.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

moi

Thanks for info Hank

Post by moi » Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:22 pm

Kiitos paljon!

Caroline

Re: How soon before moving should Residence Permit docs be d

Post by Caroline » Fri Sep 12, 2003 6:47 pm

moi wrote:I had the pleasure of speaking with a fellow member from NJ, USA and he suggested me getting going on this. I may not be moving for a year or so. Any ideas? And also still having residence in the US, do you think I could get the permit still having residence in the US. My wife is in Finland with a Green card for here. Would it be the same for me?

Just wondering a lot,
Rich

The approval could take about 4 months, but once you have the permit, you can enter and leave Finland as many times as you want, and you can also live in other countries during its validity period.

The first permit is a temporary one, valid for a year, and as far as I know you have to get it renewed in Finland (it only takes a couple of weeks). You can file the paperwork for the 2nd temporary one (again valid for a year) up to 3 months before the first one is due to expire. Then, at the start of the 3rd year, you get the permanent one, which you have to renew only when you get a new U.S. passport. The 3rd, permanent residency permit paperwork has to be filed as close as possible to the expiration date of the 2nd temporary one.

Hope that helps!
Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.