Does anyone has an experience about getting citizenship

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
enk

Post by enk » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:51 am

Hank W. wrote:It also depends a lot if you go queue in Helsinki with the hundreds of people or if you are in Nowheremäki where they'll ask people from the coffee room out to see a real live foreigner and have you sign the guestbook...
Or you find they called the local reporter and you end up in the
newspaper because of it :D

-enk

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

soyyo

Post by soyyo » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:28 am

Jedyne wrote:Is it that long now a days :?:
I guess it seems long but in the meantime you'd have your residency, allowing you to live in Finland.

It would take at least that long to know if you wanted Finnish citezenship and you also need to learn the language. It would not be in any country's best interest to give citizenship to people too soon.
Don't worry, it only feels kinky the first time....

moon

Post by moon » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:32 am

yes but its also up to your personal situation
also the time for parmenent vise has changed
i think after 4 years u get that
mind you in danmark its gonne real bad you have to wait there 7 years to get parmenet and after 8 you can apply nationality...

Jedyne

Post by Jedyne » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:33 am

Yes true, but i think i will have to learn finnish anyway at 1st i thought it was very difficult but actually its not that difficult, the thing that difficult is Y... can't really pronounce it exactly if it at the 1st letter if the word :oops:

moon

Post by moon » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:19 pm

i have been to school 9 month
i think finnish is extreemly hard for me
i do learn some thing i can talk much more today but after i used a bit of swidish a danish finnish is to much for me
its no where near english their are no pree positions
so....
but may be for you its ok i dont know

SGaudreau

Post by SGaudreau » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:53 pm

Okay here is the deal:

1.) Residence Permit based on Family ties(in your case married to a Finn) - first permit is valid for 1 year. You can apply for that permit from Finland if you have already moved. While they are processing the application you have the right to reside here but not work.

2.) Approval time/Processing time varies on the municipality you live in.. Helsinki's queues are much longer than Espoo. You can only apply from the Municipality you live in - so if you live in Helsinki you must apply in Helsinki not Espoo. My experiece was I submitted my renewal application 2 months before the expiration of my existing permit and it took them 7 months to process it....yes 7 months...

3.) At renewal time after the 1st year's permit, you are eligble to apply for a 3 year permit at that point.

4.) Also, after 2 years of continuous residency you may apply for "permanent residency" which is valid for the term of the passport you hold from your home country - So if your passport is good until 2020, once you have obtained "permanent residency" by applying you get the happy permanent resident card which will last until you have to renew your passport - after that i beleive you just have to renew the residency with the new passport.

5.) Citizenship - to obtain it you must pass the National Proficiency exam in Finnish. - It is not an easy language and it takes a while to learn it. ( I am still learning). - You must also be a resident of finland for at least 4 years (If you are applying on the basis of family ties ..meaning married to a Finn). Longer if you aren't.. (as was previously posted)

4.) Also, after 2 years of continuous residency (if you are here on the basis of Family ties) you may apply for "permanent residency" which is valid for the term of the passport you hold from your home country - So if your passport is good until 2020, once you have obtained "permanent residency" by applying you get the happy permanent resident card which will last until you have to renew your passport - after that i beleive you just have to renew the residency with the new passport.

As for decisions from the UVI - they take into account many factors. In my opinion it never hurts to show them a few quid (money) in the bank - gives a better impression that you are not just moving here to live the life of leisurer on the money Kela can provide (not even remotely possible with the small amount they give)...

My 2 euro cents would be - don't even consider or worry about Finnish Citizenship until you 1.) have a residence permit 2.) can adequately speak Finnish enough to pass the exam and 3.) Have lived in Finland for the appropriate amount of time.

Jedyne

Post by Jedyne » Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:35 pm

Thanks SGaudreau and all friends to make this thing cleared :thumbsup: :)