Dont know what to do next

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
nehia_qom

Post by nehia_qom » Thu Sep 25, 2003 6:22 pm

I really have to agree with Caroline on some of her points. While things may seems great between you and your lady now just think what it will be like when she is the only person that you know (and possibly can communicate with). You will initially be dependant on her for a lot of things and she will be trying to carry on with her thing and that is a big stress! Does that make sense? Probably not. Oh well.
All I can say is I am an American (Minnesotan) living in Finland for aobut 5 months now. I have know my Finn for 6 years and I would not have imagined the problems that we are incountering now that we are actually living together in the same country.
I am definitely not saying "don't come". Just make sure you take a lot of time and think about all of the scenarios and make sure that you are both on the same page in regards to work, home, money all that sort of thing.
Jessica

When choosing between two evils, always choose the one you haven't tried yet.
- Mae West

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

brumlee

Post by brumlee » Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:51 pm

in Rovaniemi i doubt if you can do half the things you just mentioned in your last 2 lines .
As for the sauna , in my experience eye contact should always be in the direction of the younger sister .

gerg_861

Post by gerg_861 » Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:15 am

Hey Brett,

I'm right in Madison, and I've been going through this for over 2 years now, I can definitely help, and I can give you lots of language help if you want, I've had 4 semesters at UW and I have spent 5 months in Finland doing nothing but practicing Finnish. BTW, did you learn napa because Outi laughed at a package of food from Napa Valley California? That is how I learned it as my second finnish word!

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:46 am

One piece of advice that could be usfull during the period before you next see Outi.
You must give her space to continue her own life and try, try, and try again not to become too demanding as to what she is doing with who and when.
Do not come on with the jealous boy friend line, if she says she is goning out with her friends to a party.
Finnish girls are party creatures and we will soon be getting into the long winter nights (in Roveniemi they are very long) and parties are the main way that young folk keep from getting depressed.
Think of it as a testing period, as to whether you two are realy going to make it for life together, or is it just a another of lifes short love adventures.
To dig up your roots and move to the north of Europe is probably going to be the main decision that you have made in your life to date.
Good luck.

FinLoveBret

alright

Post by FinLoveBret » Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:18 pm

Well i dont really know were to start all of the advise has been great. My reasons for loving Ouit go far beond sex appeal. Im not going to get into all the things about her i love becouse i would be writing for hours i know ive only knowen her for a short time but everything feels right with her i mean im usually the jealus type you know but with her somthing about her just makes me trust her in everyway and if i start to wonder about somthing its only me being paranoid. Overall i think applying to school there is the best idea though i was already doing that befor i started writing on here but you all re-afirmed my idea. napa came from one day we were driving past a napa auto parts store and she started asking what that place is and then she told me what it was in finnish so that made it stick with me. I know this whole thing anyway i do it wont be easy in any sence but im not the type of person to give up and i wouldnt. If i do decide to move there for a perminate thing i would have things worked out before hand the whole marriage thing well im over there was just a thought becouse we have already talked about it as a way for her to come here and live with me. Since she is in the tourism field we most likely wont end up staying in finland long term there is more opportunity for her elswere. Im going into buisiness now and i can find somthing in retail or managment anywere especially english speaking places though if i ended up in finland i would learn finish. Well i dont know if ive mentioned anything but keep giving me your two sence i do appreciate it . This all makes me think not in a bad way though. One thing some of you guys seem to really not incorage this attall i mean you all know love will do strange things i never once thought id be wanting to move to finland or any other country for that matter but i do want to i thinkit would be a great experience.
Yeah my spelling and grammer stinx but what can i say atleast i admit to it. Bret

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:33 pm

Yeah, well, Bret, one thing; you need to pass an test of English when applying to the polytechnics' English language programs here. :mrgreen:

..not that it is that difficult, but you may need to brush up your writing a bit knowing the Finnish English teachers are total grammarnazis...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.