RELOCATION - ANY HELP EXTREMELY WELCOME!

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
kwallette

Post by kwallette » Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:08 am

Hello All. I am from Cleveland, Ohio. I am presently visiting Finalnd and will be relocationg here in January, 2004 (hopefully, if all goes as planned). I am EXTREMELY motived, excited, and anxious (as one can expect.) I have no problems adapting to new situations/environments, although, I understand this is extreme as compared to moving from state to state in the United States. I trust that my boyfirned (who is Finnish) will try to make this as easy for me as possible.

I have found the necessary information relating to education and classes to learn the Finnish Language. In fact, I am headed to the University in a few short hours to investigate starting this process. Where I am lacking is where to begin looking for employment. If anyone out there can offer any assistance, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

BAT

Post by BAT » Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:19 am

Hello,

Welcome to . and to Finland. On this site we have some information in the Jobs forum and in the Links section, which should help you in your job search. Please check those out. Feel free to post again with more specific questions - we're happy to help.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:35 am

Hi and welcome.

On the jobhunting thing, kinda need to ask "what do you do" first. The straight answer would be http://www.mol.fi - but that doesn't help you much I bet. Some jobs you can land "easier" without knowing any Finnish. Some jobs you need Finnish (or they say you need Finnish). If you have qualifications - some are readily accepted, some get looked at like something the cat brought in. So "finding a job" is a bit vague. Also as you are implying you are going to be in some city that has an university - the job market is totally different in different parts of the country, the boondocks vs. cities so that also shuffles the deck.

Don't ya hate it when people answer with questions?
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

SediaAmore

--

Post by SediaAmore » Sat Oct 18, 2003 1:11 pm

---
Last edited by SediaAmore on Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meenfreem

Post by meenfreem » Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:07 pm

in addition to the työtoimistosomethingrather ... i needed the E301 form from the countries I formerly worked, stating when I had worked and that I paid my social benefits... this form took over 2 months to get here! I have no idea on how this is done in the states, but it might be worth checking out!

cos of this paper, the only one i didn't know about, i've been waiting for the työyackerdyschmackerdy to officially register me, and thus had to wait for any allowance!

maybe someone else has more info on this.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:21 pm

You are EU, Meenfreem. USA, China, Cuba, Russia, you know, developing countries they use checques and funny money in :mrgreen:, they do not have E-documents nor pan-EU social benefits... the http://www.kela.fi pages are very good to read. Especially asa the KELA staff don't know their own rules. EU or non-EU is the key here. Also Nordic runs on a totally different category. Relocating on A5 basically means you are passing the queue compared to someone coming "on their own".
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.