Work

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
sodengiles

Work

Post by sodengiles » Tue May 20, 2003 2:59 pm

Hi everyone,

I moved to Finland in November and have been looking for work in the Marketing and/or Sales area in an international company. I have 1 years sales experience in London and I have a degree in International Business so if anyone hears or knows of anything I would be grateful.

If anyone is in the same situation ie desperate for WORK I got some work with a company called OPTEAM (Tel: 09-4154 4400). They hire out labour for events, silver service events and the Radission SAS Hotels and Restaurents. I phoned about 50 restaurents and similar companies who all told me that i needed Finnish (which I don't), but these guys were very helpful and I have been working for them for 1,5 months now and so far so good until I find the above type job.

This new site is great, well done to those whose designed and organised it!
Roland

Work

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Tue May 20, 2003 3:39 pm

Hi Roland and welcome.
As you know times are not easy for finding jobs in Marketing in Finland especailly if you are not to hot with the language..
It is not just that the Finn give priority to Finns (which they of course do) but it is hard work in an office if everyone else is speaking to each other and you do not understand.
I think you are doing the right thing now the hotel industry is a good place to build up your contacts and keep your ears and eyes open.
good luck.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue May 20, 2003 3:58 pm

And the better your Finnish gets the more chances you have of getting the job you want...

Much information in Finnish companies is gotten from "coffee-discussions" -believe it or not...
Last edited by Hank W. on Tue May 20, 2003 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

sodengiles

Post by sodengiles » Tue May 20, 2003 5:08 pm

Thanks for your advise and support.
Well I will carry on in the catering industry and keep looking for marketing/sales jobs.
regards
Roland