Coming in January

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
michellebarrett

Coming in January

Post by michellebarrett » Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:05 pm

Hi!

I'm not actually moving to Finland, but paying a visit to those I worked with 2 years ago when I did live there. :D
I'd like some information on transfers from Tampere Airport to the railway station so I can get a connection to Helsinki.

My flight arrives in Tampere just after 20.00 and according to the website for the buses, there are no transfers from the airport to the railway station until 23.40. I don't want to be too late when arriving at Tampere railway station for my connection, as I have a friend meeting me at Helsinki station.
Does someone have any infomation on the prices taxis charge from the airport in Tampere to the railway station please? :lol:

Thanks.

Michelle :uk:

Coming in January

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:10 pm

Hi,

And welcome to the group!

Yes, with those "cheap flights" you end up paying for connections. Off the top of my head I'd say 20-40; but theres some locals here from Tampere that can give a better estimate. I'm not sure if they have a yellow van service for such a small airport. The distance to downtown Tampere also isn't that long, but not too short either.

PS. That avatar's a bit 'wiggly' for the eyes on the long run.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:23 pm

Here is the link to all Finnish Airports info..including Tampere.
http://www.ilmailulaitos.com/ilmailulaitos/

Click Tampere-Pirkkala on the right panel... then the left hand panel will give all the info you need.
I think the taxi fare to the railway station is about 15€.

kultary

Post by kultary » Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:12 pm

There is an airport taxi service that costs 10€ from the Airport to the City Centre (they try to put as many people into the van as possible, so it may not be the fasted way to get to the train station) here's a link: http://www.taksitampere.fi/airport2.html

I can't remember exactly how much my taxi trips were from Tampere centre to the airport (I no longer live in the centre), but I would estimate that it would be between 15-20€.

Tampere Aluetaksi Oy actually has a calculator to estimate the price:

http://www.taksitampere.fi/ -> Taksalaskuri

it is about 17 km from the airport & this tool calculates it to be 22€ (which seems just a bit too high)

michellebarrett

My visit

Post by michellebarrett » Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:49 pm

Many thanks for the replies. :D

As my flights and accommodation for the week are extremely reasonable in price, I may pay the extra to get to the station more quickly. I have been in contact with a friend in Helsinki and she's also looking into the prices too.

I can't wait to come back as I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Helsinki and miss everyone there so much.

Thanks again.

Michelle

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:02 pm

If it is any help, two of your replies came from Helsinki (well close suburbs.) You probably got the best information that you are going to get other than actually getting in the taxi and paying!

Freckles

Post by Freckles » Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:07 am

Hi Michelle,

I caught the shuttle bus from the Tampere airport and it drops you off just outside the railway station. I vaguely remember it costing me 5 euros, and that was at Easter time this year.

If you're catching a RyanAir flight to Tampere (which it sounds like considering the lateness of the flight arrival!) the bus waits for the passengers to take them into town.

It's simple and easy and cheap and fast. :)

Hope that helps a bit. :wink:
It is good to have an end to journey towards, but it is the journey that matters, in the end.
Ursula Le Guin
ImageImage

michellebarrett

Post by michellebarrett » Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:36 pm

Hi Freckles!

You guessed correctly, I am flying with Ryanair. :) Is it a specific bus run by Ryanair or is it just the normal airport bus? The airport bus has departure times...

9.15 hrs M, Tu, W, Thu, F, Sa
14.30 hrs Su
18.30 hrs Sa
23.40 hrs M, Tu, W, Thu, F, Su

I wouldn't mind waiting for the bus to get to the railway station, if I wasn't being met by a friend in Helsinki. If I did wait for the last bus, I'd have to hang around until the first train the following day. I guess there'll be other buses travelling between the airport and the railway station but perhaps for the extra money, it may be worth taking an airport taxi at 10 euros.

Many thanks for your reply.

Michelle

Freckles

Post by Freckles » Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:16 pm

The bus is specifically for RyanAir and waits for you to get off your plane then takes you straight to town and plops you right out side the train station. It doesn't wait for other flights.

...hmm, I'm just wondering if there's somehow you can double check this with RyanAir. I know I asked at the Info booth at the Tampere train station, but you're not there, so makes it a bit hard! ;) *giggle*

um... well, I am a reliable source because I did this myself, but it's always nice to get backup!!

Freckles.
It is good to have an end to journey towards, but it is the journey that matters, in the end.
Ursula Le Guin
ImageImage

michellebarrett

Post by michellebarrett » Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:23 pm

Oooo!! :lol: Thank you!! I didn't check when I booked my tickets. I'll have a look this afternoon and will email/phone them if I have no luck on the website.

Thank you so much. :)

Michelle

kultary

Post by kultary » Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:56 pm

dusty_bin wrote:If it is any help, two of your replies came from Helsinki (well close suburbs.) You probably got the best information that you are going to get other than actually getting in the taxi and paying!
Is the information from Helsinki somehow better than the information from Tampere? Or is Tampere now a suburb of Helsinki?

:wink:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:57 pm

As long as it didn'a come from Turku?
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Wed Nov 12, 2003 8:52 pm

[quote="kultary
Is the information from Helsinki somehow better than the information from Tampere? Or is Tampere now a suburb of Helsinki?

:wink:[/quote]

I guess that everyone has stopped reading today (heavy irony tinged with sarcasm...)

The post was made because Michelle, having had accurate information in respect of taxi prices said that she was going to confirm the information with a friend in Helsinki. Now, if I had gone to the trouble of replying to Michelle's post, having taken the time to research the answer for her, only to be told that she was going to check with a friend in Helsinki; I would be a touch miffed. It makes it seem that she does not give credence to the replies given, in which case the guys wasted their time.

My post was intended to highlight that people in Tampere and Helsinki had already given good information and possibly, but unlikely, make her think...

See what I mean?

michellebarrett

Post by michellebarrett » Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:29 am

I'm sorry if anyone has been offended. :(

I had been in contact with my friend before I had discovered this website. I've had more information that I've been able to look at from those who did reply to me. Thanks to Freckles, I'll be getting the Ryanair bus that I didn't know would be there.

Sorry.

Freckles

Post by Freckles » Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:10 am

You're welcome. :) It's nice to give back some help after receiving so much myself from others on this forum.

So did you get confirmation on the RyanAir bus details?

Safe travelling!!

:D Freckles.
Ursula Le Guin
ImageImage