working in tampere?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
perhonen

working in tampere?

Post by perhonen » Tue May 27, 2003 11:00 am

Hello guys!

I have been with this forum for 6 months, but I post very seldom. Its very important for me to know that you are all there and you have the same problems and experiences here in Finland like me.

I am here for 4 years already and when I started to apply for all these stuff and a new job I felt very lonely before I came across this forum

I really wanted to change my work for almost 8 months now and I also just went through a long frustrating job hunt.

Now I got a quite nice offer, but the problem: its in tampere and I of course live in the hard of Helsinki.
Is anyboday here from tampere? How is it to live there and do you have a piece of good advice for me?

Thank you for listening!

working in tampere?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue May 27, 2003 11:11 am

"Tanpere" is pretty nice. The center is very compact and as it is between two lakes it has water and greens. And "real Finland" is just a stones throw away... The housing prices in Tampere are quite reasonable. The public buses reportedly suck as everywhere, and I have a beef with the parking attendants making their own legislation where a street is a street and requires a new traffic sign for no parking, but that I guess the Helsinki attendants give back tenfold to out-of towners. I'd hit it. The train to civilization is only 2 hours :mrgreen:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

perhonen

Post by perhonen » Tue May 27, 2003 11:27 am

I wish I would find a place in the centre in case I move there and then I will have to take those !"#¤% buses daily, cause the workplace is of course outside Tampere....

thanks Hank for the quick reply!

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Tue May 27, 2003 11:45 am

Tampere is one of my favorite towns/cities in Finland.
Go and visit for week end and have look.
You can get cheap week end breaks at Sokos hotels.
There are three in Tampere.
But there are also cheaper place:

http://www.tampere.fi/english/index.htm

There are good shops restaurants and pubs..Plevna is my favorite pub they have their own brewery where you can also sample the local famous Musta Makara red current jelly.
Marjo loves it for shopping and in the summer you can take lake cruises..one nice one is south to Hammenlinnä and and then back by bus or train or vice versa.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue May 27, 2003 11:47 am

Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

perhonen

Post by perhonen » Tue May 27, 2003 2:59 pm

I will go and visit Tampere this weekend. I sent there a weekend last year and liked it. Have to to find a good nightlife since I a really need music and concerts around me!

ajdias

Post by ajdias » Tue May 27, 2003 6:46 pm

This site is a netportal for foreigners living in Tampere, quite a nice site:

http://www.itampere.info/

perhonen

Post by perhonen » Wed May 28, 2003 10:34 am

Thank you antónio for this link!