How long should I wait for Finnish citizenship?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
*Kristina*

Post by *Kristina* » Fri May 06, 2005 5:35 pm

thanx :D

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Andulka

Post by Andulka » Mon May 16, 2005 10:26 am

Hi,

Going back to the language issue, I'd like to ask if anyone has been able to get the citizenship without passing the test? The law says:

Poikkeukset asumisajasta ja kielitaitoedellytyksestä
Ulkomaalaiselle voidaan myöntää Suomen kansalaisuus 13 §:n 1 momentin 2 ja 6 kohdan estämättä, jos:
1) hänellä on lailliseen ja pitkäaikaiseen Suomessa oleskeluun taikka muuhun tähän verrattavaan syyhyn perustuen kiinteät siteet Suomeen; sekä
2) hänen varsinainen asuntonsa ja kotinsa on ja on viimeksi kuluneet kaksi vuotta ollut keskeytyksettä Suomessa ja jos:
d) muutoin on olemassa painava a?c alakohdassa mainittuun verrattavissa oleva erityinen syy.

So basically, as far as I understand, it is not absolutely necessary to be able to speak Finnish/Swedish in order to get citizenship.
In our case my husband has been living in Finland for 7 years and while he does speak some Finnish, he'll never be able to pass any written test (in any language) due to very bad dyslexia. For the same reason it is difficult and slow for him to learn foreign languages in general. The problem is we are told it is very difficult to prove someone has dyslexia even when it is a question of one's native language, let alone a foreign one. I shall of course get in touch with UVI and ask them, but just wondered if anyone here might have any similar experiences.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon May 16, 2005 10:36 am

You can get a "break" for dyslexia for the Finnish matriculation examination, so its not unherd of in Finland. I'd expect one to get a doctors certificate, and maybe they'll waive it for say an oral interview.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Andulka

Post by Andulka » Thu May 19, 2005 1:41 am

Hank W. wrote:You can get a "break" for dyslexia for the Finnish matriculation examination, so its not unherd of in Finland. I'd expect one to get a doctors certificate, and maybe they'll waive it for say an oral interview.
Problem is so far we've been told it's not possible to get such a certificate. Since he is not a native Finnish speaker & he's a grown up he cannot be evaluated for dyslexia, or so they say.
Ah well, I guess it's a Catch 22 of sorts...

RA

Post by RA » Thu May 19, 2005 7:32 am

Andulka wrote:
Problem is so far we've been told it's not possible to get such a certificate. Since he is not a native Finnish speaker & he's a grown up he cannot be evaluated for dyslexia, or so they say.
Ah well, I guess it's a Catch 22 of sorts...
You can get an evaluation done and a certificate even if you're a grown-up. At the terveyskeskus they may perhaps not do evaluations on grown-ups, but you'll probably get someone to do it in the private sector. The language might pose a problem... dyslexia evaluation in Finland in a language other than Finnish or Swedish :?

Try contacting an organization for dyslexics and they'll help you with a list of places/doctors that can evaluate and write certificates. Helsingin seudun erilaisoppijat might help http://www.lukihero.fi
saving chimpanzees is a big hairy deal

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu May 19, 2005 8:57 am

As a sidenote - original question was "how long". There was a short piece of news that the citizenship applications are backlogged so they have 3-4 years' worth of applications there, oldest ones from 1999 waiting. They stated that they should have clearde it by 2007?
Cheers, Hank W.

moon

Post by moon » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:06 pm

i have been to school now for about 6 month to learn more finnish
when i went in i was sure this in what i need i foung out later it means nothing to imigration
now days more then ever i think i can basicly stop almost thinkin about it
i met many ppl a taalkd about it
it seem to b extrimily hard to pass this test
i herd of ppl who live here over 20 years! who faild
they been told go learn some more...
basicly instaed of saing we dont want to give nationality they put this test
even teachers in my school sayd that we even been to parlament a the theachers complaind to 1 minister about it(1 teacher sayd to him some ppl live a work in finlAND OVER 10 YEARS AND THEY CANT GET NATIONALITY) it may b 1 day the law will change to give u very little chance
so far things dont look to good
im marrid here i lived here over 6 years
but i dont think i get it
or if i will that will b a big surprice

moon

Post by moon » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:20 pm

he'll never be able to pass any written test (in any language) due to very bad dyslexia. For the same reason it is difficult and slow for him to learn foreign languages in general. The problem is we are told it is very difficult to prove someone has dyslexia

hi i think i have same problem thats what my teacher think
but here come the thing there is nothing yet... in the finnish law about this problem u must get a doctors paper in order to apply with this problem and...it must b after test in his own laungue russion
now im from israel so if i want to do this i must spend almost 1000 e to get this paper...

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:40 pm

Well, things could be worse. You could be in Estonia. They don't allow dual citizenship nor do they grant a citizenship even you're fluent and lived there, if you've come on a work permit.
Cheers, Hank W.

moon

Post by moon » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:46 am

hank...what make m angry here is.....that i did every thing with in the law i went to apply when i was sepose to apply with the old laws then they change the laws applyd the new laws on m thats not fair
when i askd it the law was after 3 years u can ask nationality and there was no level 3 spacial test
then at some point after i already put my papers its has changed
but what is it got to do with m???
the paper i got said i dont live here long inough yet.....
acording to the new 6 years law....

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:13 am

Yes, that is really irritating.
Cheers, Hank W.

sy

Post by sy » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:28 pm

moon wrote:hank...what make m angry here is.....that i did every thing with in the law i went to apply when i was sepose to apply with the old laws then they change the laws applyd the new laws on m thats not fair
when i askd it the law was after 3 years u can ask nationality and there was no level 3 spacial test
then at some point after i already put my papers its has changed
but what is it got to do with m???
the paper i got said i dont live here long inough yet.....
acording to the new 6 years law....
According to the transitional provisions of the new Nationality Act, if you submitted your application before 1 June 2003, if on the date of 1 June 2003 you have fulfilled the requirement of residence period according to the old law, the old law shall be applied. New law can be applied, if it's more favorable to the applicants.

Also for the language proficiency, old rules should be applied. That is, only a certificate from a language teacher would be enough.

Generally speaking, the transitional provisions are quite fair.

PS: It would be appreciated if sentences are written with punctuation marks for the reason of readability. After all, this is not a chat channel.

moon

Post by moon » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:50 pm

i put my papers before the new laws!!
the woman there askd...do you live in finland 3 years ..
do you have langauge paper (i had level 2 it was ok)
i paid and went home
i have never expected to get negetive
i have always wonders if i get it after 2.5 years or a bit longer
and this was the shock of my life
i have totaly lost my trust in the system here in any way what so ever
even my finnish wife when she is talking to ulkomavirhaso get treated
very badly
i personaly begin to plan moving to sweden if i dont get it
they have more respect to forigners over there i know
thats it

sy

Post by sy » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:19 pm

Have you lived in Finland for 3 years and your marriage with a Finnish citizen has lasted 2 years on the date of 1 June 2003? These were the requirement in the old law.

You can appeal the decision to the Administrative Court. I think they gave you the appeal instructions along with the decision. Although I think it would be difficult to win, since even the law says that UVI has full discretion over the decision.

At least you can apply for it again if you fulfill the new requirements.

Yes, UVI is ridiculous. Just read their annual reports to see how they praise themselves although the situation is worse.

moon

Post by moon » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:44 pm

hei...:)
i have been marrid from end of 1996...
soon 10 years
so what more can i say
i could send u my desigion papers i wonder what u make of it.
i have a friend he was my boss long ago he is with the kristian democrats.
he fixd me a lawyer for free from his parti he sayd hmm the new law is stupid but its the law we cant appil agianst it.
im just very bunt out after 7 month about of total headace over this and
sadly i cant see the end of the story.
i got in this forum cose its on my mind and i like to share it and see if any 1 has edvise may be
my english writing is not so good so im sorry about that