Residence permit after few problems?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Locke

Post by Locke » Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:52 am

Me and my fiance are having a bunch of questions.....

I am sure some of this stuff has been answered here in some other posts, but as we have so many questions, and I'm not familiar with the terms etc... I know I'd miss crucial information with just browsing... and we *need* help:( Just telling what posts to check out would be appreciated also:)

I'm a Finn, and he's American, and when he tried applying residence permit from Finland, they told him to go back and apply from America. They never even looked at the papers. Embassy told that this would be possible, but here, he was told after 3 months just go back to US and apply there.

So, he is now back in US, and he is now trying to apply from there (after already paying almost 2 grand extra thanks to the incompetence of officials...) But, having heard so much about how hard it is to get the permit to Finland, we need to ask some info... as we cannot afford any more of 'mistakes'.

He would be coming here for about 3-4 years, till I've finished my studies. Would it be better (easier) to get a residence permit for one year at a time, or apply undetermined duration? Which would be better in the long run& more easily accepted?

We are both registered on the same appartment, as subrentals. I'm actually paying the rent, as he (obviously) doesn't have a job here yet... He doesn't either have any reliable source of income right now, nor here in Finland. What should we put in the 'income' question? if the answer is 'no income', will they reject the permit because of that?

We haven't registered our relationship anywhere. Is enough for the residence permit paper to put 'fiance' or do they require documents? Is it easier to get the residence permit with just that paper, or should we also fill the 'ACCOUNT OF THE APPLICANTS FAMILY LIFE AND LIVELIHOOD' paper.... one family I know was denied the permit as they didn't have a marriage date to put on it - same as us, we don't know yet.

So, the main problems are him not having a work here, and us not having registered our relationship. What are our chances to get the permit anyway, and how most easily would that happen?

I know that is awfull lot of questions, but we have been together for 1,5 years now, and been able to see each other for maybe 4 months..... We are running out of money for this, and it's already taken practically all the money we've had... my savings are gone, thanks to the 'procedure'..... I'm unemployed student, and he doesn't have a college degree, tho a profession as a blacksmith.

Please, if you can help.... we have tried our best with officials, and they have done their best of preventing us for getting together.

Oh, and how long does it usually take to get the permit? they said 3 months, but before that it's been 2 months most, etc.... so what is the truth?

Thank you of any help you can give us.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Sara

Post by Sara » Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:11 am

Well the main problem here is that you need to prove you can support him being here. I could be wrong but the fact your a student and wont have much income doesnt look very hopeful. I think this is the main hurddle you have and you need to work round this.

Does your partner have any savings?

You have to write that youre willing to support him and have enough income to do this. Perhaps you could also write that you also have parental contributions on top of the grant and loans.

I hope you get this sorted out soon :)

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:29 am

Grant & loans are not "income".

Best way would have to been get married when he was here. Stupid questions by the bureaucrats are far less then; even though being married isn't any automat to get a residence permit.

"no income" is a dead no-no and the "family life etc. " paper is on the "of course" list.

What the officials want for an 'avoliitto' is a paper stating you have been living together for 2 years in the same apartment... 3 months is a bit too little.

Can't really say what the chances are, but you could always test the easiness of the US system, get a fiancee visa to there, get married and then do the residence permit rumba again.

the documents are at http://www.uvi.fi/englanti/doc/oleskel2 ... nformation sheets
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

eashton

Re: Residence permit after few problems?

Post by eashton » Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:52 pm

Locke wrote:He would be coming here for about 3-4 years, till I've finished my studies. Would it be better (easier) to get a residence permit for one year at a time, or apply undetermined duration? Which would be better in the long run& more easily accepted?

We are both registered on the same appartment, as subrentals. I'm actually paying the rent, as he (obviously) doesn't have a job here yet... He doesn't either have any reliable source of income right now, nor here in Finland. What should we put in the 'income' question? if the answer is 'no income', will they reject the permit because of that?

We haven't registered our relationship anywhere. Is enough for the residence permit paper to put 'fiance' or do they require documents? Is it easier to get the residence permit with just that paper, or should we also fill the 'ACCOUNT OF THE APPLICANTS FAMILY LIFE AND LIVELIHOOD' paper.... one family I know was denied the permit as they didn't have a marriage date to put on it - same as us, we don't know yet.

So, the main problems are him not having a work here, and us not having registered our relationship. What are our chances to get the permit anyway, and how most easily would that happen?

I know that is awfull lot of questions, but we have been together for 1,5 years now, and been able to see each other for maybe 4 months..... We are running out of money for this, and it's already taken practically all the money we've had... my savings are gone, thanks to the 'procedure'..... I'm unemployed student, and he doesn't have a college degree, tho a profession as a blacksmith.

Please, if you can help.... we have tried our best with officials, and they have done their best of preventing us for getting together.

Oh, and how long does it usually take to get the permit? they said 3 months, but before that it's been 2 months most, etc.... so what is the truth?

Thank you of any help you can give us.
Given that he's a yank, the residence permit is only granted in 1 year increments for the first 2 years and on the 3rd year he can apply for a perm permit. Be warned that, at least in Helsinki, the waiting queue is 5-6 months....at least, I'm going into the 4th month of waiting for my renewal and it went from 5 to 6 months at some point between calls to check on the status.

Without trying to rain on your parade, the lack of income for either of you may prove to be a real issue as it's really unilkely he will find one anytime soon after moving here if he doesn't know Finnish well enough to get by or have any kind of University education to help him get a decently paying job. He may get lucky but immigration people are generally not interested in luck.

On the form, you will have to vouch for his support and, as an unemployed student, that's going to be hard to do.

Have you considered an American university?

Locke

Post by Locke » Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:35 pm

so, basically, if we can prove that we have enough money to support ourselves - no matter which of us has the income (?), they don't really care much of else? The thing is, how much do they expect us to have to do that?

We've been able to survive with less than 500 per month (well, after the rent, that left us 200 for living), but as I know that is under any living standards..... I'm looking for a job, and hopefully will have the wapping income of 900 starting next february.... would that do?

He has some income from occasional works (bladesmithing, etc), should those be then marked 'per month'? As he can sell those in the internet, and we already know a place where he make the blades here..... that would be an income, but not a stable one. And obviously, it cannot be proved.

And 'no' to savings: we *used* to have savings. Which have been now used to pointless running around, thanks to one lying embassy.... By the time the papers get back (with yes or no) we will have savings.... after all, I'm looking for a job, the papers take time, and everything we get and don't need for basic living, is saved.

-and the American university: First year student (second year of that.... don't ask...), so no exhange program of my study accept me.... been trying tho, and will try again for the following year. Also, there is very few programs that accept me without the 'guarantee' which is for my uni, 2500 before I leave. That cuts down my options pretty well.

nehia_qom

Post by nehia_qom » Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:49 pm

I was in nearly the same situation. I do recomend that you fill out the familyhood form and say that you are willing to support him. That is what we did and I got the permit no problem however I did prove that I have $5,000 in my bank account which I think is a requirment.

On a side note I would really incourage you guys to wait. I know it SUCKS being apart from the one you love, but have you thought about how much it will suck for him having no money, know few people and watching you go off to school everyday and knowing that he has nothing to do. Jobs are really hard to come by here if you don't speak the language and without an education. I went through that for 4 months and now I am back in the same situation and it put a huge strain on out relationship.

I hope I wasn't too discouraging and if you have questions about the process please feel free to PM me.

Jessica

When choosing between two evils, always choose the one you haven't tried yet.
- Mae West

Locke

Post by Locke » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:08 pm

and asking again:P.....

Hank W. wrote that for common-law spouse to get here, one'd need two years of continuous living together: is that the same for married couple? That's what I've understood anyway from papers? - and btw, how on earth could that even be possible? 'wont get permit *before* you've lived together for 2 years - but oops, ya can't as we won't give the permit' <maniac laughter and the official disappears in a puff of smoke>

no, serious, went throught the papers again, and unless I misunderstood - or they've changed it, it's not possible to apply from here even if we were married?

ronrubies

Spouse Residence Permit

Post by ronrubies » Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:58 pm

My background is that I am an American, have been married to a Finn for over 4 years, living in the US for all this time, registered the marriage and 2 children in Finland and just applied for a residence permit. To get the permit I either had to give the Finland Consulate my passport so that I could not travel to Finland before the permit is granted, OR sign a promise not to travel to the EU for more than 90 days (i.e as a tourist) in a 6 month period, and that I would have to return to the US at my cost to pick up the Residence Permit. While marriage makes the process smoother and granting the permit much more likely, the applicant still has to leave Finland to get the permit.

I hope this information clarifies your concerns. Please PM me if you want even more detail. Best of luck to you.
Ron

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:43 pm

Locke wrote:and asking again:P.....

Hank W. wrote that for common-law spouse to get here, one'd need two years of continuous living together: is that the same for married couple? That's what I've understood anyway from papers?

No, it is not the same for legally married couples. We lived together for a total of nearly 6 months in Finland before getting married, and I got my residency papers "no problem" (although we waited for 3 months for the approval and I was back in the USA during that time).

I think the only reason for the 2-year minimum for unmarried cohabitating couples is because there has to be some time frame after which the union is considered "official and permanent".
Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.

zedkoman

Post by zedkoman » Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:24 am

Last edited by zedkoman on Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:02 am

Well, 5000 euros is 6,358.00 dollars at today's rate. I suppose the inflation strikes the requirements. Whatever the embassy states officially I guess you need to go with that.
Cheers, Hank W.

Nathan Lillie

Post by Nathan Lillie » Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:45 pm

I think the "cohabitating" probably doesn't count for much.

It took 5 1/2 months for them to grant me my permit, and we had proof of living together for 5 years, passport stamps showing long vacations together, bank statements showing enough money in US and Finnish accounts, and proof that we both had employers willing to pay us while living in Finland, mine a US employer and Riitta's from Finland - and either of us could have supported both of us (it wouldn't be pretty, but it would be possible).

But when I called them in the middle of month 4 (with the clock ticking on my tourist visa) to ask what the hold up was, they asked for a marriage certificate (which we had at that point). I sent it in and 2 weeks and a quick flight to the finnish consulate in NYC later and I had the 1 year permit.

So it seems to me like the piece of paper is what they really look for, and the rest is just boxes on the form to keep the bureaucrats busy.

I never had to sign anything saying I would not travel to the EU or Finland. Actually we got married in Finland, and had a wedding here and all that, so it would really have put a kink in our plans if I weren't able to attend.

Furthermore, for my work I had to travel in the EU, and wouldn't have been able to guarentee it would be for less than 90 days. I told the Finnish consulate that, and they sent my passport back to me when I applied for the visa.

Locke

Post by Locke » Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:53 pm

well, this is a very long time since the last post...

We are *finally* applying..... The problem seems to be, still, the money. I've gotten a job, which will pay us rather nicely (income of around 1000-1200/month), we're both signed to the appartment as renters, and I have savings of about 2000e, and he has of about 1000e.

But, as we havent lived together for the 2 years (gotta love that law btw... ya cant live together that long unless ya have a permit for it, which you wont get before living together...), will they actually note my income at all? I got all the papers from my bank, including one that gruarantees another 1500 loan to be lifted when needed, and I wrote a note to go with the permit, where I say that I'm both willing and able to support us till he gets a job... But will they actually care of those, except of his savings?

I'd hate to have the permits jump back, after all this waiting... And couldnt find a 5K requirement for residence permit from anywhere?

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:59 pm

The 5K is when you apply for a student permit.
Cheers, Hank W.