Queries related to applying for a Resident permit

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Post Reply
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:42 pm

Queries related to applying for a Resident permit

Post by Sarita » Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:33 pm

I'm Sarita and wish to joing my hubby in Finland at the earliest. He works for an MNC there and has a A2 resident status. I am a computer professional myself working in UK for a telecom company, but on my holidays in India, my home country. I intend to do my masters while in Finland and my hubby is willing to support me. Could you help me out with the following questions I have?

1) Can my hubby apply for my resident permit in Finland?
2) How long does this process normally take?
3) What are the documents that I will require when I apply?
4) We are recently married (3 weeks ago) and is it possible that I come to Finland by visitors visa and later get my resident status?

Expecting an answer...

Queries related to applying for a Resident permit


Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

User avatar
Hank W.
The Motorhead
Posts: 29987
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2002 10:00 pm
Location: Mushroom Mountain

Post by Hank W. » Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:05 pm

OK, there is a set of documets at the 'Directorate of Immigration' at http//:www.uvi.fi regarding residence permits. Now you are applying, it seems, "on basis of family ties" http://www.uvi.fi/pdf/olelupaperheside_eng.pdf

- but you should check the other ones too.

The requirements for documents are in the residence application you have to get from the embassy (no online forms).

As a hunch, I wouldn't give up my day job before you have the permit in hand. It may take time.

And the thing is if you are now resident in the UK, if you apply in UK they send the papaers to UK, if in India in India...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

User avatar
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:58 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Post by kwallette » Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:59 am

When I was obtaining information about this same subject, I called the Finnish Consulate. They indicated that you have to physically be in your home country when applying and when you obtain your residency documents. When I sent my passport to the Consulate, they indicated that I can request it back and travel, however, I would have to appear in person with my passport in the home country to obtain all of the necessary documents. In other words, when obtaining residency permits, the last stamp in your passport must be you entering your home country. The pain is not knowing when (and heaven for bid "if") you're approved.

Post Reply