Calling the Irish in Helsinki

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Mark_2me

Post by Mark_2me » Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:45 am

Hi
Im Irish moving Helsinki in March and would be greatful if someone could give me some sound advice like where to get the best pint of Guinness and other minor things like finding a flat etc... !.

Thanks a million
Mark

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:42 am

Hi, and welcome.

Ah, one more green rugby shirt trying in vain to find a place they show it.

All Guinness is the same - better asking *cheapest* pint of Guinness...

Flat... http://www.oikotie.fi or then get a realtor to find one for you like http://www.huoneistokeskus.fi - are you coming to work? Then I'd say get the company to make the footwork as you can see all them sites are in Finnish and you can't make heads or tails what even a "rental" is there so no use eh?
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

tjawatts

Post by tjawatts » Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:59 am

I think the the problem with guiness here (and most places except Ireland) is that it sits in the open barrel for so long. So you have to find the pub which goes through the guiness quickest so it stays fresh (unless you drink a barrel a day yourself ;-))

What is your reason for moving over?

Tony

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:13 pm

I can make a guess. :lol:

..ok , if its not a blonde then the reason is he wants to change eternal rain to eternal snow.
Cheers, Hank W.

Mark_2me

Post by Mark_2me » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:55 pm

Well Im coming over for a few reason`s, mainly work and yes of course there is a blonde involved ! ( female that is ! ). Ive been before but only for a few days. Im currently living in Prague and yes I know all the great things I will be giving up but after 3 years here I can live with that ! ( I think ). Im also used to sub zero temps and snow, and rain of course ( Im Irish remember ! ).
I will be starting a consulting business with a finnish friend of mine so I will be on a shoe string budget for the first 6 months. I dont really fancy splashing out on a rental agency and I guess I will have to share with someone. What do you guys reckon 400 - 500 Euro would get me there, or how far out would I have to go to get something half decent ?.

Cheers
Mark

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:59 pm

You can get a share, even a decent one near the centre for 400-500.

10 m2 + parvi 4 m2. 380,-

Kuusitie 13 A , 00270 , Helsinki 16,0 m² 400,-
Viipurinkatu 14 , 00510 , Helsinki, 17m2 437,-
Cheers, Hank W.

Mark_2me

Post by Mark_2me » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:08 pm

Cheers Hank. Where did you see those places you mentioned ?

dw

Post by dw » Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:35 pm

i'm irish aswell, i have been living here for about 16months. finding it pretty tough going, but at the same time not regretting the move.

the language is still the biggest thing for me, it affects everything i do and want to do. but as time goes on the language is improving more and more. so by, erm, 2007 i should be sufficent.

i know there is several irish pubs in town, but ive avoided them all. ive never been a fan of the "irish" pubs outside of ireland.

there are many other really cool bars in helsinki like kola, errotaja, sauna bar, alahuone, kipsari, bar 9, tori and many others. not sure about the quality of guinness in them though.

for flats: sundays helsinki sanomat is full of listings. we got an apartment through hoas (the student accomadation people here) as my girlfriend is a student.

dw

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:53 pm

Can I call the Irish in Helsinki then! Wow! :?:

You are all a dozy bunch of *&^% $%^£ *&^$!

Now I feel better! :P

Niall Shaky

Post by Niall Shaky » Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:44 pm

:roll:

Obviously dusty's time of the month....

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Sat Jan 17, 2004 6:08 pm

Maybe I should make it go away.
I just saw the title of the thread and thought...
Well, why not!

I do not dislike the Irish at all, it was just the words! :lol:

dw

Post by dw » Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:27 pm

dusty_bin wrote:Can I call the Irish in Helsinki then! Wow! :?:

You are all a dozy bunch of *&^% $%^£ *&^$!

Now I feel better! :P
try to keep that rage bottled! :)

dw

jcooper

Post by jcooper » Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:11 pm

Poor old dusty! :P

Hi Mark, I've been here about 5 months now and enjoying every second. As Dw mentioned the language situation is a little bit of an issue, but that said some blood sweat and tears do help. Plus it seems the over 35s are a bracket that missed the language revolution, so pigeon Finnish helps there.

Bars wise, there are actually plenty of Irish bars, but personally I've never been too fond of Irish bars when I'm abroad. Molly Malones is probably the best though they have the thickest idiots as security on the door. I mean, it baffles me the logic they apply. Anyways, the pints there are ok, then again after a few years abroad you forget whats good and whats average, but you never forget whats bad. Theres a raft of other Irish bars after opening, but all lack coverage of rugby, hurling or football. Oh and thats real football not soccer! So instead I generally go anywhere there are not thick doormen creating queues and have a good selection of beers. The best thing is with the hyper inflation Irish economy you'll be amazed that beers are pretty much the same price unless you go for the Belgian beer sort and hospitals and public transport here work. Ooops I'm starting to rant.......

Anyways, welcome on board, drop me a PM when you get in town.

ttys
Who is this dog Franks?

Mark_2me

Post by Mark_2me » Mon Jan 19, 2004 10:29 am

Cheers Guys for the tips, Im not a major fan of Irish bars abroad either, but they are usually a good place to start when moving to a new country. Ive been living in Prague for the last 3 years so quite used to not having a clue whats going on around you most of the time ( language wise ! ). The big shocker for me will be the cost, when here a beer will cost you less than a Euro and my apartment is 100 sqm and cost 500 Euro a month including bills !!!!.... I think I`ll be lucky to get a furnished box for that in Finland !. I should land there end of April / start of May so if any of you hear of any decent place or of someone looking to share please keep me in mind. Thanks a million
Mark

mof

Post by mof » Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:30 pm

The only bar I have been to which reminds me of an irish pub would be the '1 pint pub' in Ruoholahti.

but others would be O'Malley's (attached to Hotel Torni) and as mentioned before Molley Malones...