Foreign studying finnish (Financial support)

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
elibrazilian

Post by elibrazilian » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:20 am

Hello everybody! I am brazilian moving to Finland in may this year to marry my finnish boyfriend! Since i made my decision abt move to Finland to live with him, i´ve been trying to get as much information as i can about living, studying and working...

I would like to have some information about the process t get into a Finnish language course for Foreingners and how to get financial support while i'm studying??? Anyone has some advice or experience to tell???

I really need that information coz i am 100% i won´t get a job easily in Finland if i don´t know at least basics of finnish, i´m psychologist in Brazil i'm also sure i won´t find anything in my area. So in my situation what i want to to do is dedicate myself to learn finnish and get any kind of job that can pay bills as soon as i can. Don´t wanna b home doing nothing and complaing in web sites how finland is hard place to live, how hard is to learn the language and get a job :) !

And if i can get that financial help at least for somemonths while i study the languange to get a job would be helpful...

Thanks!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Pursuivant

Re: Foreign studying finnish (Financial support)

Post by Pursuivant » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:34 am

once you get married you march into the job centre and cook up an integration plan... they give you some pocket money, but you have to do what they say and not what you want or might be sensible... some of the courses are good, some bad... for the psychology you'd need to get your certificates recognized etc. and as non-EU they're a bit difficult.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

elibrazilian

Post by elibrazilian » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:58 am

Pursuivant wrote:some of the courses are good, some bad... for the psychology you'd need to get your certificates recognized etc. and as non-EU they're a bit difficult.
U mean they can indicate a bad course??? How bad it can be??? I will live in Turku, hope i can find a good course...

What i want is a course where i can have classes 5 days a week at least 4 hours a day! Do u think is possible get something like this? If i get one like this even if is a bad course i can try harder dedicating myself more.

About psychology i think is not just a bit harder is very hard :) But as now i am focus in my goal of learning finnish i will think about that later...

Thanks for ur reply!

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:10 am

well people have been complaining about these courses being too grammar-heavy and straining. of course when they put you on a course there might be people there who cannot read and people babbling in some language all the time and people there with little motivation just so they can stay on the benefits and on top you might get a teacher that cannot explain the things... so it all depends... its like any other course. only problem is you cannot choose - if you quit you also quit your money.

elibrazilian

Post by elibrazilian » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:31 am

Ok...Now i got it what u said! The worst part is not so good teacher...People with litlle motivation is bad too, maybe is better to ignore then and focus on me...I´ve heard about people that hav been studing and living in Finland for long time but don´t really dedicate to learn the language and can´t communicate in finnish. Then they start to complain about Finland, I really don´t wanna be part of the group!

I am not expecting easy life in Finland, i will hav to study as much as i can and try adaptacion in Finnish way of life, that is very different of Brazil! But if i made decision i need to deal with good side and bad side of that!

Thanks again for ur replies!

elibrazilian

Post by elibrazilian » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:08 pm

Does anyone has more advices???

Thanks!

Rabs

Post by Rabs » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:22 pm

elibrazilian wrote:Does anyone has more advices???

Thanks!
about finnish language, it really depends on how seriously you want it and put effort to. in my case, though i know it's important and have spent 100s of hours in trying to learn it, somewhere back in my mind always tells me what's the freaking use of this freaking language anyway!! once you are out of this country, it's as good as dead. perhaps, you have decided to settle here permanently... anyway, my point is unless you are determined, your initial enthusiasm to learn the new language will wear out slowly and frustratingly

elibrazilian

Post by elibrazilian » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:41 pm

I decide to stay in Finland permanently, my motivation to learn finnish is find a work as soon as i can, for that i must learn finnish... I don´t wanna be a useless person in Finland..i wouldn´t feel good about myself! I Brazil i hav a job and independent life...But in Finland for some months i will need financial support... But also don´t want that for too long!

That´s why i asked about Courses and financial support to get informations before arrive in Finalnd and be prepered, know what directions i should take after marriage!

desert nomad

Post by desert nomad » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:48 pm

You need to bear in mind that it's not always possible to get into the courses right away, there is a lot of demand on these courses and many queue for them for a quite a long time whether it was the first course or a continuation and during the waiting time i dont think you would receive any support if your spouse is working. Support is provided once you have yourself in a course.

elibrazilian

Post by elibrazilian » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:50 am

desert nomad wrote:You need to bear in mind that it's not always possible to get into the courses right away, there is a lot of demand on these courses and many queue for them for a quite a long time whether it was the first course or a continuation and during the waiting time i dont think you would receive any support if your spouse is working. Support is provided once you have yourself in a course.
Thanks for the advice :) I hope i don´t hav to wait too long but since there is a possibility of long wait until i get a course...I hav to start think in a Plann B, think what i should do if that happens...I can´t get any job (that´s what i heard), but there is possible i can pay for a languange course while wait for the other one with financial support??? I could invest the few euros i will hav in a course just for don´t be at home waiting and waiting. I would be bored!

biscayne

Post by biscayne » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:04 pm

Hello!

First, I assume you have all your paperwork in order, in other words, has Finland accepted that your marriage will be genuine and have they issued you a resident permit? My understanding is that it is difficult to apply in Finland. Secondly, if you wish to ever work in psychology in Finland, you must go through the process of Nostrification, which means that the appropriate university in Finland must accept your Brazilian education, and then when this is done you must get your professional accreditation (licence) from the appropriate professional body, Board of Psychologists or something like that. This could take a long time, you should start now. Thirdly, Finnish will take you a long time to learn, count on 2 years, at least. About taking a course and expecting financial support, I do not wish to be rude, but this is the kind of thing which really gets on Finns nerves and annoys them. Can a Finn go to Brazil and get a free language course and financial support? Doubt it. If you and your partner have made the choice for you to move, can he or both of you not pay for a language course in the University of Turku, and as a couple, having made the decision for you to be the one to move, is it not his responsibility to support you, as in a normal husband wife relationship until you get a job? Again, I don't mean to be rude, and I am sure you are a great person, and that you want to work as soon as possible, but I just don't understand why you feel that it is Finlands responsibility to provide for you until you can speak the language and work. It was your choice to move, why do Finnish taxpayers have to support that move? Surely it would be your responsibility to have saved enough money to cover a couple of years in Finland until you can earn? Harsh, but you will come up against this stuff all the time in Finland. Believe me.

elibrazilian

Post by elibrazilian » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:46 pm

biscayne wrote:Hello!

First, I assume you have all your paperwork in order, in other words, has Finland accepted that your marriage will be genuine and have they issued you a resident permit? My understanding is that it is difficult to apply in Finland. Secondly, if you wish to ever work in psychology in Finland, you must go through the process of Nostrification, which means that the appropriate university in Finland must accept your Brazilian education, and then when this is done you must get your professional accreditation (licence) from the appropriate professional body, Board of Psychologists or something like that. This could take a long time, you should start now. Thirdly, Finnish will take you a long time to learn, count on 2 years, at least. About taking a course and expecting financial support, I do not wish to be rude, but this is the kind of thing which really gets on Finns nerves and annoys them. Can a Finn go to Brazil and get a free language course and financial support? Doubt it. If you and your partner have made the choice for you to move, can he or both of you not pay for a language course in the University of Turku, and as a couple, having made the decision for you to be the one to move, is it not his responsibility to support you, as in a normal husband wife relationship until you get a job? Again, I don't mean to be rude, and I am sure you are a great person, and that you want to work as soon as possible, but I just don't understand why you feel that it is Finlands responsibility to provide for you until you can speak the language and work. It was your choice to move, why do Finnish taxpayers have to support that move? Surely it would be your responsibility to have saved enough money to cover a couple of years in Finland until you can earn? Harsh, but you will come up against this stuff all the time in Finland. Believe me.
Thanks for not being rude! :D I am glad with all replies i can have...And every opinion is welcome and important! There are many points i would like to reply, too bad i don´t hav much time now (break from work) But..Few things i would like to say...

1: I am going to marry in may hav all necessary paper to that, i´ve contact the Finnish embassy in Brazil. We are in a 2 years relationship, and we can proove that, so i see no big problem in get my residence permit, maybe it will take a bit long but isn´t impossible.
2:I am not thinking in working as psychologist in Finland, at least i m not thinking about that now, my first goal is learn finnish.

3: About "Finns nerves" and "Can a Finn go to Brazil and get a free language course and financial support?", well Finland and Brazil can´t be compered, very different countries! Brazil is poor country, and we (brazilians) must care about brazilians that don´t even know read and write portugueses( lot of people, and i guess u hav no idea about how much) ... I guess that kind of problem do not exist in Finland.. where is well know for be one of best education in the world. And in my oppinion , if they offer finalcial support for people study language, why it get on their nerves??? Or that´s some foreign idea???

4:We made a choice that would be better if i move to Finland, and u are rigth, he is responsible for support me, but i hav to confess that is hard in my mind! (But, that mine and only my problem).

5. "I just don't understand why you feel that it is Finlands responsibility to provide for you until you can speak the language and work." Well I think if that´s possible why not??? And i don´t wanna be rude :) If that´s possible to hav Finalcial support for study finnish why is such a "sin" or "wrong" do that???? Now i am the one who don´t understand :)
6: "it would be your responsibility to have saved enough money to cover a couple of years in Finland until you can earn?" 1 Euro is 3,3 Reais (brazilian money), I agree with u that is my responsibility but i would hav to work at least 2 years saving 50% of my salary to cover me up for couple years. Again is my problem if i don´t wanna wait that much!

7. "Harsh, but you will come up against this stuff all the time in Finland. Believe me." Thanks a lot for advice. I´ve been prepering myself for that!

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:13 am

elibrazilian wrote:and we (brazilians) must care about brazilians that don´t even know read and write portugueses( lot of people, and i guess u hav no idea about how much) ... I guess that kind of problem do not exist in Finland..
oh, you go to any school and you might find only a fraction of people who can read and write... portugese :wink:

Rabs

Post by Rabs » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:16 am

Well I think if that´s possible why not??? And i don´t wanna be rude If that´s possible to hav Finalcial support for study finnish why is such a "sin" or "wrong" do that???? Now i am the one who don´t understand
that's called jealousy not sin or wrong, and it does not reason :mrgreen:

elibrazilian

Post by elibrazilian » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:23 pm

tummansininen wrote:
elibrazilian wrote:3: About "Finns nerves" and "Can a Finn go to Brazil and get a free language course and financial support?", well Finland and Brazil can´t be compered, very different countries! Brazil is poor country, and we (brazilians) must care about brazilians that don´t even know read and write portugueses( lot of people, and i guess u hav no idea about how much) ... I guess that kind of problem do not exist in Finland.. where is well know for be one of best education in the world. And in my oppinion , if they offer finalcial support for people study language, why it get on their nerves??? Or that´s some foreign idea???

5. "I just don't understand why you feel that it is Finlands responsibility to provide for you until you can speak the language and work." Well I think if that´s possible why not??? And i don´t wanna be rude :) If that´s possible to hav Finalcial support for study finnish why is such a "sin" or "wrong" do that???? Now i am the one who don´t understand :)
6: "it would be your responsibility to have saved enough money to cover a couple of years in Finland until you can earn?" 1 Euro is 3,3 Reais (brazilian money), I agree with u that is my responsibility but i would hav to work at least 2 years saving 50% of my salary to cover me up for couple years. Again is my problem if i don´t wanna wait that much!
Biscayne gave a lot of helpful information.

What was meant is this - Finns pay high taxes. For this, they get excellent services. And in a society like this, there are many things that EVERYONE has to contribute tax money towards, but only SOME people get to use.

As you can imagine, Finns can get a bit annoyed when a foreigner walks into their country, has never paid a single cent in taxes, but then gets money handed to them. It is like taking money off the person next to you in the street. You can understand why they don't like it, and why many may ask, "Why should I give a Brasilian woman my money?"

Don't worry, I will be one of those people too. I don't believe you were *expecting* Finland to pay for everything, you were just asking if there were free services for language classes. I don't blame you, I'd rather have things for free myself :D As long as you are prepared to pay for it yourself when you can't get something free (and do that with a smile!) people will not be hostile.
Thanks for reply! I never payed taxes in Finland , but my future husband sure had paid. And I see as a investiment if i can get support for study finnish coz only in that way i can find a job and pay my taxes and probraly (as i can see) be more respected in Finnish society. :) I sure don´t wanna have that kind of help for too long, and I assume lot of people are only interested in the money they can get in Finland and stay as long as they can getting that money just as parasites. That´s not my idea. Since i made my decision to move to Finland, i also decide that i should get a job coz i don´t wanna be a housewife, a useless person , that depend of my husband to everything! I can only get that job with study! From Finland i am expecting hav hard times and face some hostile people! But i am very determinated to face that!