From Thailand to Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
ArtZi

From Thailand to Finland

Post by ArtZi » Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:47 pm

Hi!

I'm Finnish. My girlfriend is Thai. We are thinkin either her moving to Finland or me moving to Thailand. How easy it is to move in Finland? What is the first thing she'd have to do? Thank you. :)

From Thailand to Finland

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Mon Feb 23, 2004 3:59 pm

Permanent move for your GF...means getting her a visa then residence permit..you/she can get info on how to do that from the Thai Embassy here or the police imigration dept or Finnish embassy in Bangkok. The short answer is, it is easy if you are married and not so easy if you have only known each other a few months and dont yet live together.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:07 pm

Now where do we have Poupe when we need her. She's a Thai girl and been battling this residence permit question. I think she might also be able to say something about how easy/hard moving to Thailand is.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

shazman

Post by shazman » Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:34 pm

Enjoy the sun for a while longer - and plan things.

Dont rush into coming here until you have some idea of what you plan to do.... and good luck!
Image Image Anteeksi, olen ulkomalainen!

ArtZi

Post by ArtZi » Mon Feb 23, 2004 4:48 pm

Well.. she is my fiancée actually so we're going to marry someday. And yes, this should be very carefully planned. She hasn't even visited Finland 'yet, I'm just asking the questions to have some idea. :) Anyway, thanks for answering guys.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:56 pm

The thing is the Thai women have some organization here. They meet in Caisa every now and them from what I understood. Maybe you can find it on google?

What I suggest is that you bring her here for winter - if she does not die then you have to go to Thailand for the monsoon. If you don't die then you both can decide which is better/worse.
Cheers, Hank W.

Poupe

Post by Poupe » Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:41 pm

Hi,
I'm Poupe, I'm Thai .Here in Finland has no embassy. There is just a small consulate office in Eerikinkatu but theydo nothing for thai people.Has your gf been here?Can she stand the winter?any idea about studying finnish? If she is interested i could recommened a person to contact and have a finnish evening class in Bangkok. It is good to know a little about the language.

Getting a tourist visa is easy , but to get residence permit here is quite difficult. there is a long que at the embassy cuz they need to send all the applications to UVI ( ulkomaalaisvirasto) in Finland and then to Thailand, once you apply, the process can take up to 7 months..

if you want to move to Thailand. maybe it is easier for her, if you think you can find a job or anything to do there, there are quite big amount of finnish people that has thier business in Thailand, if you can stand the weather, and you think you wont miss Ruisleipää :)

here in Finland we have The Finnish Thai Association,
http://www.finthai.net but we wont assist anyone about the visa or moving to Finland problems. Our Association organize Thai food Festoival, Thai Language classes, Thai cooking , and some events regarding Thai Cultures,. Good Luck !
PouPe S.

ArtZi

Post by ArtZi » Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:45 pm

Hmm... yeah Hank W., I should bring her here for winter. I wonder how she can take the coldness when I almost died myself after getting back to Finland 19th Feb from Thailand. 8)

Thanks Poupe, I'll talk with her and tell her about this. Maybe she'd be interested in the Finnish evening class. Though she thinks Finnish is very difficult, do you think so?

Hehe, I think I would sometimes miss Ruisleipä and salmiac. :P

Poupe

Post by Poupe » Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:47 pm

Hi,
yes finnish language is difficult for me, but i have been studying for 3 years now and i can manage,but most of the time i use english and also with my husband.

The finnish class in Bkk is a private class by a man who works in embassy of Finland in Bkk, now he just got a baby so i dont know if he has time to teach but if you are interested, i can ask for you.

Finnish winter is so cruel to me, i think it is really cold ...though people said you can survive with enough warm clothes but still it is not so pleasant for me..i am used to being in the weather of 30 C with air-conditioning in the house....not -20 C with heating...

the problem when my husband was in Thailand was the dust and the heat, his skin is quite sensitive so he had some allergic problems, He couldnt eat at the restaurant by the street (without air conditioned) cuz it was too hot for him. the heat made him frustrated...and he missed finnish coffee..
people can turn to be a different person when they live in a strange country.... but it seems you enjoy being in Thailand and quite optimistic,
which is good,

good luck again!
PouPe S.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:11 pm

Poupe wrote:Hi,
most of the time i use english and also with my husband.

good luck again!
I dont understand why Poupe's husband and Artzi dont learn Thai language it looks so simple.. :roll: .heeee heee :wink:
http://www.seasite.niu.edu/Thai/default.htm

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:29 pm

Yes, indeed. ...44 consonants... 28 vowels... Like whats the deal with Finnish being hard, we only have 24 letters in *one* tone :wink:
Cheers, Hank W.

aRabbit

Post by aRabbit » Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:57 pm

the problem when my husband was in Thailand was the dust and the heat, his skin is quite sensitive so he had some allergic problems, He couldnt eat at the restaurant by the street (without air conditioned) cuz it was too hot for him. the heat made him frustrated...and he missed finnish coffee..
:lol: I can imagine that
Reality is when you stop believing, it will not vanish.

gavin

Post by gavin » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:17 pm

aRabbit wrote:
...and he missed finnish coffee..
:lol: I can imagine that
Yeah, but if you travel, you always miss something...

I miss pork pies and saussages from the UK
I miss ruisleipä and herring from Finland (when I'm away from home)
I miss Welsh/Irish/Scottish p!$$taking
I miss pancakes and saussages from Canada
I miss Maté and fresh steak from Argentina (not at the same time)
I miss fresh bilesh from Russia
I miss fresh garlic naan from Malaysia
I miss beer from 'real' UK pubs

The upside is, if you are happy with the person you are with, you'll happily miss quite a lot of stuff :wink:

just me

Post by just me » Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:35 am

I like the weather here more then my country, HOT! HOT! HOT! When I went home for holiday I have to take shower at least 5 times a day even more if I go out from the house often :lol: I already start to sweat before I come out from the bathroom. :) But the food the food there are GOOD and cheap to shop...... :wink:

ArtZi

Post by ArtZi » Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:58 pm

What's funny is... I've lived here for all my life and when I came back from Thailand... I had a culture shock :P hehe. I immediately missed Thai food, the climate, the people, the smiling... and of course my girl ;)

I think Thai isn't so difficult actually. At least everyone can say Sawasdee krup/ka :) hehe. And counting to 100 in Thai is easier than in Swedish.