Black People in Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Rob A.

Re: Black People in Finland

Post by Rob A. » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:10 pm

Last edited by Rob A. on Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

EP

Post by EP » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:43 pm

I've read a bit about Eugene Holman....I would say he is an unusually bright and motivated person....probably not to be held up as the norm for black people, or any one else, trying to learn Finnish....
I met him almost daily in early 1970´s at the university. I considered him fluent in Finnish already back then. That, and of course his intellect and character, and his way of thinking of this "race issue" are perhaps the reasons he integrated so fast and well. He does not really count himself as "black", or a representative of an African American. I don´t remember it so well but I think he said that he cannot really consider himself "black" since he has just as much white in him. And Jewish and Native American. So he was (is?) sort of "raceless". Is Eugene still in "elävien kirjoissa"?

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:13 pm

Looks alive to me... :wink:
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

raamv

Post by raamv » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:44 am

Interesting thread..
I am not white..and neither are some of my friends ..and some are...But at the end of the day..
its the perception of people who think that they are being different by perceiving themselves to be different..
A lot of people stare at me..But I just stare back at them until They feel uncomfortable..
When I lived in the US, I've been through direct racial insults...for many years..
But then when you enter a setting of "civilized" or "politically-correct" environment, it was ok!!
Here, when People meet me, at first are skeptical..but then very soon..Its like I am their helper!! :wink:
Kinda funny but its true!

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:48 am

raamv wrote:but then very soon..Its like I am their helper!! :wink:
... you missed a spot there. :lol:

Vesper

Post by Vesper » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:49 am

[quote="soyyo]I think it's rare for any immigrant to be seen as Finnish, ever. It doesn't bother me much, but it bothers some people.[/quote]

I have been mistaken for being Finnish by Finns, but that's due to my super fair skin and blonde locks. Some Finns spoke to me in Finnish than I had to say 'Anteeksi, en ymärrä....' After that they knew I wasn't Finnish, totta kai! Though there is a down side to having fair skin. I never wear shorts, because I don't want to hear some American complain how my legs are too white for their eyes. And that I need to get a tan asap! I'm glad there are other cultures where it's the exact opposite. It's quite nice, really.

switchblade327

Post by switchblade327 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:41 am

Vesper wrote:[quote="soyyo]I think it's rare for any immigrant to be seen as Finnish, ever. It doesn't bother me much, but it bothers some people.
I have been mistaken for being Finnish by Finns, but that's due to my super fair skin and blonde locks. Some Finns spoke to me in Finnish than I had to say 'Anteeksi, en ymärrä....' After that they knew I wasn't Finnish, totta kai! Though there is a down side to having fair skin. I never wear shorts, because I don't want to hear some American complain how my legs are too white for their eyes. And that I need to get a tan asap! I'm glad there are other cultures where it's the exact opposite. It's quite nice, really.[/quote][/quote]

Americans in Finland complaining about your pasty legs is a common occurance?

soyyo

Post by soyyo » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:14 am

Vesper wrote:[quote="soyyo]I think it's rare for any immigrant to be seen as Finnish, ever. It doesn't bother me much, but it bothers some people.
I have been mistaken for being Finnish by Finns, but that's due to my super fair skin and blonde locks. Some Finns spoke to me in Finnish than I had to say 'Anteeksi, en ymärrä....' After that they knew I wasn't Finnish, totta kai! Though there is a down side to having fair skin. I never wear shorts, because I don't want to hear some American complain how my legs are too white for their eyes. And that I need to get a tan asap! I'm glad there are other cultures where it's the exact opposite. It's quite nice, really.[/quote][/quote]

I didn't mean thinking so upon seeing you, I get that too. I meant people who know who you are, etc. No matter how long you are here or how well you learn Finnish, whether you get citizenship, they may never think of you as Finnish.
Don't worry, it only feels kinky the first time....

skandagupta

Post by skandagupta » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:28 pm

soyyo wrote:
I have been mistaken for being Finnish by Finns, but that's due to my super fair skin and blonde locks. Some Finns spoke to me in Finnish than I had to say 'Anteeksi, en ymärrä....' After that they knew I wasn't Finnish, totta kai! Though there is a down side to having fair skin. I never wear shorts, because I don't want to hear some American complain how my legs are too white for their eyes. And that I need to get a tan asap! I'm glad there are other cultures where it's the exact opposite. It's quite nice, really.
[/quote]

I didn't mean thinking so upon seeing you, I get that too. I meant people who know who you are, etc. No matter how long you are here or how well you learn Finnish, whether you get citizenship, they may never think of you as Finnish.[/quote]

they may never think of you as Finnish.[/quote][/quote][/quote] True,"they"may or may not;one cannot know tell what others are thinking
and deeming. So no point worrying about it. After all "yksin olet sinä ihminen,kaiken keskellä yksin.."

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:05 pm

And to Pursivant: by Black I mean a person of primarily African descent.
So Moroccan Berbers, and South African Boers also count? Or do I calculate all homo sapiens sapiens from Olduvai?

switchblade327

Post by switchblade327 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:14 pm

Pursuivant wrote:
And to Pursivant: by Black I mean a person of primarily African descent.
So Moroccan Berbers, and South African Boers also count? Or do I calculate all homo sapiens sapiens from Olduvai?
It's like when people say "Asian"; they (at least in North American English) mean the ethnic traits of China, Japan, Korea, Vietnam, etc. You wouldn't go to an "Asian" club and find it full of Indians or Russians. It may not be technically accurate but it's the way the words are used for lack of a better one, at least in North American English.

In England and elsewhere they might say "Oriental" which is more accurate but for whatever reason, that's racist in North America. I guess "Negro" would be the equivalent, in being the historical term that is both more specific and currently perceived as racist.

forest_girl

Post by forest_girl » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:32 pm

This may be an old question, but I myself, going to the workplace via center (means Rautatientori metro station), see around 10-15 black people a day. Maybe more, but not less :) Hope this helped.

Bubba Elvis XIV

Post by Bubba Elvis XIV » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:39 pm

switchblade327 wrote: In England and elsewhere they might say "Oriental" which is more accurate but for whatever reason, that's racist in North America. I guess "Negro" would be the equivalent, in being the historical term that is both more specific and currently perceived as racist.
Might say....but you might not. It has become a bit un-PC in the UK to use the expression Oriental.

Personally Asian means jack...I don't get what an Asian person is, Indian? Chinese? Or are they all the same?

Anyone got any ideas for a new word?
Black Flag kills ants on contact

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:46 pm

OK, so I'm all ready to embark on my scientific data collection week. Not so many open questions... what if I see an Michael Jackson impersonator?

onkko

Post by onkko » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:52 pm

Bubba Elvis XIV wrote:
switchblade327 wrote: In England and elsewhere they might say "Oriental" which is more accurate but for whatever reason, that's racist in North America. I guess "Negro" would be the equivalent, in being the historical term that is both more specific and currently perceived as racist.
Might say....but you might not. It has become a bit un-PC in the UK to use the expression Oriental.

Personally Asian means jack...I don't get what an Asian person is, Indian? Chinese? Or are they all the same?

Anyone got any ideas for a new word?
Bent eye 8)
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum