i want to settle in finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Nzekwurosh

Post by Nzekwurosh » Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:11 pm

i am a nigerian and i presently resides in nigeria. Now i want to make a move and see how i can grab a visa to finland. I hope to move there with my newly married wife. Pls i need your advice on how to go about the whole thing.
Thank you.[/b]

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:19 pm

It will be of importance to the authorities here to know what your reason is for moving here.

If you're *just* moving here because you think Finland is so nice and dandy, and if you have no ties, political, ethical, economical, whatsoever, with Finland, it might get a bit hard to get a visum.

What is your reason for moving here? May I ask?
Is your wife Finnish?

Nzekwurosh

No.

Post by Nzekwurosh » Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:27 am

Pls, my wife is not finnish neither do i have any political or economic ties with finland but i taught that one may wish to change environment not minding the difficulties in that country or do you think that nigeria is better than finland. Pls i still need a positive idea on how i can come to Finland.

distantspaces

Post by distantspaces » Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:44 am

Hi,

One positive idea would be to apply to some university in Finland for studying. That can help you and your wife get a residence permit.

I don't want to sound too discouraging, but coming to Finland without a strong valid reason is next to impossible - even more so if you are from a poorer country.

Best of luck in your efforts!

Ace

Post by Ace » Sun Mar 21, 2004 11:47 am

One of my friends is a Nigerian, he's been here 12 years. PM me and I'll see if I can hook you up with some advice from him :thumbsup:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Mar 21, 2004 12:48 pm

Ok. the question will be: Why to Finland? Did you just pick it up from the map? Nex question: What in Finland? Like what are you going to do? Sitting in the snow for six months is not an answer. To immigrate you need a valid reason, unless you have a valid job offer etc. there is very little chance of work. The standard of living and salaries may seem high, but so are the taxes and costs. You cannot just land here and hope to make a new life. Maybe someone will give you such promises, but you'll end up in conditions like slavery, especially without knowing the language. Big chance is you'll be promised a job and you will find yourself in jail for "delivering a package". Unless you have a plan and the resources to do it, moving to Finland is very improbable. One course of action is to come to study, but getting admission let alone a student visa is hard; and very unlikely you could show means to support your wife so she would not be able to come over necessarily at first.

There is no 'patent answer' to your question. You need to be resourceful that is for sure; but don't believe in dodgy offerings - the officials here do not buy into nice stories. There are some people from Nigeria and other places in West Africa that have successful business ventures here, so I am not saying it is impossible. Just very hard.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Denisa84

lmao

Post by Denisa84 » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:50 pm

HANK W:

Why to Finland? Did you just pick it up from the map?

Well....yeah! Thats what I sort of did!

R u kidding? they wont let an australian in to finland??

Anyone wanna get married?
lmao

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Mar 28, 2004 1:38 pm

Australian - if you are under... err... 30 or something Finland & Oz just signed last year this working-visitor thing (like you guys had with UK and a few places before).

Otherwise - about as easy as me trying to get immigrated to Australia.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Denisa84

um...

Post by Denisa84 » Sun Mar 28, 2004 2:08 pm

hank! what does that mean? explain it to me like im a 4 yr old..

!!! it didnt make much sense