Some questions about residence, help please.

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Tadash27

Post by Tadash27 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:01 pm

Hi, am an italian citizen and I will move to Helsinki to work in a little more than a week. I have tried to find some easy-to-follow instructions on what I will have to do in terms of making my position in Finland regularly. For what I understood I will have to go first to the Maistratti (btw, is there a central office or different ones depending where you will live? I will be in Vuosaari) where I will be issued with an ID number, after that the tax office, where I will be given a tax card and give it to my employer. Finally to the police to register my presence in Finland. But do I have to go to the Police only when I have a work contract in my hand? Also, for example, the travelcard for transport: I can see that there are different prices for residents and non residents (almost double). If I am buying the Travelcard showing the ID number obtained at the Maistratti, will I qualify as resident?

Sorry for all the questions that they may seems stupid....any help will be appreciated!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Pursuivant

Re: Some questions about residence, help please.

Post by Pursuivant » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:23 pm

You need to have your work contract in hand first, then you can get the ID number, Helsinki Maistraatti is on Albertinkatu in the corner with Bulevardi. You need to be "domiciled" to be entitled to benefits (like cheaper tickets) so you get that done with the police registration paper. The first they mark you as being in temporarily as you need the ID to get paid and a bank acct and the police registration you need to do within 3 months. But first is you get a work contract/job offer from the employer so you get the ball rolling.
Last edited by Pursuivant on Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Tadash27

Post by Tadash27 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:27 pm

Thanks for the reply. Someone told me that I don;t need a work contract to go to Maistratti, do I have to have it with me? If yes I guess I will ask already to my employer to prepare it.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:34 pm

Tadash27 wrote:Thanks for the reply. Someone told me that I don;t need a work contract to go to Maistratti, do I have to have it with me? If yes I guess I will ask already to my employer to prepare it.
I wouldn't work without contract...
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Tadash27

Post by Tadash27 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:37 pm

Me neither, I didn't know that was a basic condition to get the ID number :D Also the police....any police station will do? Or it has to be the one where I live? Also (being Finland) what kind of fee am expected to pay?

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:37 pm

Tadash27 wrote:Thanks for the reply. Someone told me that I don;t need a work contract to go to Maistratti,
Yes well why would the give a tourist an ID number? You come here to work - OK so little children believe in santaclaus, bureaucrats want ALL THE PAPERS :wink: . Police station for aliens is Malmi. EU registration IIRC is 40 euros or so, maistraatti and tax office are free... tax office collects otherwise ;).
Last edited by Pursuivant on Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tadash27

Post by Tadash27 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:44 pm

Pursuivant wrote:
Tadash27 wrote:Thanks for the reply. Someone told me that I don;t need a work contract to go to Maistratti,
Yes well why would the give a tourist an ID number? Police station for aliens is Malmi. EU registration IIRC is 40 euros or something.
Thanks Pursuivant, I know I have time to do this (90 days) but the sooner I will do the better it will be. It will be stupid for me to spend 75 Euro for a travelcard when with all the papers I can spend 43.....

Thanks again for the reply

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:48 pm

Yes well you can't get paid - or you can but they dock 60% tax, without ID number and tax card...

Tadash27

Post by Tadash27 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:00 pm

Pursuivant wrote:Yes well you can't get paid - or you can but they dock 60% tax, without ID number and tax card...
:o will they suck my blood too?? OK, now my to-do list is organized...thanks again.

MovingToFinland

Post by MovingToFinland » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:33 pm

You can get a tax card and apply Finnish social security in one place. Visit www.intofinland.fi there is also check list for those moving to Finland.

Tadash27

Post by Tadash27 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:52 pm

Thanks, but the Social Security number they will issued right away? Because after this place I will have to go to the Police. Thanks

interleukin

Post by interleukin » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:22 pm

you will get the number in a few days

Tadash27

Post by Tadash27 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:26 pm

so is better to go to Maistratti, they will give it right away there (even a temporary one)....

interleukin

Post by interleukin » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:02 pm

uhh... ? Maistratti is the only place that can give you the ID number. You apply for it there and you get it in a few days.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:20 pm

Ah, they ,made a new system, you can get "stuff done" at the VERo office, and they rotate the paperwork via maistraatti - as we have this huge demand for workers and such...