Moving to Tampere from the UK

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Mobious

Post by Mobious » Sat May 22, 2010 1:16 am

Hi everyone,

I am looking at potentially moving my family from the UK to Tampere and I have a couple of questions which I am hoping I can get some help with.
I would be looking to rent a three bedroom house in Tampere and I have no idea what my expectations should be on cost, and also is there any particular district I should look for or avoid? Also is there an english option on any of the major finish housing sites?

(We do intend to try and learn the language, but it will take a while before we get up to speed!)

The other concern I have is regarding employment for my wife. I am taking up a directors position with a company within Tampere, but my wife will be coming over without a job, are there any temping agencies or recruiters that people would recommend?

I must admit to being a little nervous about uprouting the whole family but I have heard so many positive things about Finland that I am looking forward to it.

Many thanks for your help!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

mdn

Re: Moving to Tampere from the UK

Post by mdn » Sat May 22, 2010 8:35 am

Mobious wrote:I would be looking to rent a three bedroom house in Tampere and I have no idea what my expectations should be on cost, and also is there any particular district I should look for or avoid?
3 bedroom - does it mean 4 rooms or not?
750-1500.
Hervanta is good enough.
Mobious wrote:Also is there an english option on any of the major finish housing sites?
I think you already know that here is just 2 housing sites useful for you, so you already checked them.
Mobious wrote:The other concern I have is regarding employment for my wife. I am taking up a directors position with a company within Tampere, but my wife will be coming over without a job, are there any temping agencies or recruiters that people would recommend?
Who is your wife? There will be minor chance to find a job if she is experienced IT Engineer (of course, not test/localization), more chances if she is related to medicine. Otherwise - do not worry about her job, at least next 3 years she will be unemployed and will study the language.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sat May 22, 2010 9:11 pm

How about renting a flat - preferrably at a good connection to work, and then trying to find a house after you know what a house means (that is what a house means in Finland, and not what you think it means in the UK) - as well as the ins & outs of locations etc. nevermind the kids schools and whatnot. Or then next year you end up sitting like a lemon looking for a gin the city plough has left a frozen meter of snow into your driveway.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

truth

Post by truth » Sat May 22, 2010 10:35 pm

Mobious wrote:Hi everyone,

I am looking at potentially moving my family from the UK to Tampere and I have a couple of questions which I am hoping I can get some help with.

(We do intend to try and learn the language, but it will take a while before we get up to speed!)

The other concern I have is regarding employment for my wife. I am taking up a directors position with a company within Tampere, but my wife will be coming over without a job, are there any temping agencies or recruiters that people would recommend?
Maybe a better idea could be that you come first to Finland and live there for sometime, understand how stuffs work and then call for your family to come over. As someone stated, the job thing for your wife can be a hard nut to crack issue for you guys, due to the language. But still, who knows what might happen?
I must admit to being a little nervous about uprouting the whole family but I have heard so many positive things about Finland that I am looking forward to it.
Its good to look forward to it, but when you are here, try not to look backwards to it.

rinso

Post by rinso » Sun May 23, 2010 9:16 am

Yes, I also would recommend a reconnaissance mission of at least a few months before you let your family come over.

priki

Post by priki » Sun May 23, 2010 2:26 pm

Vuokraovi seems to have an English option:
http://www.vuokraovi.com/vuokraovi/main ... e=theme_en
Usually three bedrooms = four rooms in Finland. Because living room is counted, too, as are study, fireplace room etc., 4 rooms can mean only 2 bedrooms. You need to check the details of the apt. I recommend to rent a flat first, houses are expensive and more rare in rental market, usually people own their houses.
Rents for 4 room flats seem to be 750€-920€ (+ two extremely expensive ones). Single family houses and semi-detached houses are only two available, rents are 1050€ (semi) and 1450€/month. In addition to the rent, you need to pay for electricity, water, home insurance etc.

Mobious

Post by Mobious » Sun May 23, 2010 6:11 pm

Well thank you everyone for your posts. It is very interesting to hear the differences in something as simple bedrooms. For example I have a small house in the UK which consists of three rooms downstairs, (two receptions rooms and a kitchen) and then three rooms upstairs. (two bedrooms and a bathroom).

My wife getting a job is indeed going to be a tough nut to crack. I am looking to see if there is a role I can get her in my new place.

In the UK we are use to having our own house and that would still probably by my first choice as I am not a big fan of apartments. (That is not meant as a slight against anyone who lives in one, it is just a personal preference).

With this kind of move it is really all or nothing as I can't afford to move across accept and job and then decide it is not for me, as I will have sold my house etc.

Well I am just waiting to get my ticket so I can come across and visit.

Thanks again for all of your comments.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Sun May 23, 2010 8:42 pm

Mobious wrote:In the UK we are use to having our own house and that would still probably by my first choice as I am not a big fan of apartments. (That is not meant as a slight against anyone who lives in one, it is just a personal preference).
I rather bitch and moan and get someone to remove snow than do it myself. Some people like to push snow around and as house owner you like and do it or you cry and do it, and when county's snowploughs push a new wall for you to get rid of... you say thank you, can I have some more.
http://www.aamulehti.fi/uutiset/pirkanmaa/172263.shtml
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Sun May 23, 2010 8:59 pm

Mobious wrote:Well thank you everyone for your posts. It is very interesting to hear the differences in something as simple bedrooms. For example I have a small house in the UK which consists of three rooms downstairs, (two receptions rooms and a kitchen) and then three rooms upstairs. (two bedrooms and a bathroom).
Real estate listings and rental ads usually first indicate the number of rooms intended for “living” (bedrooms, living room, perhaps other generic-purpose rooms where you could possibly place a bed or at least a sofa bed), then go on and mention the other, more “utilitarian” rooms (such as kitchen, washroom, sauna) separately. This is often done in “code”. For example, “2H + K” means “2 huonetta + keittiö” or “two generic-purpose rooms (one of them usually designed to be used as a living room) + kitchen”.

It is generally best to check out the floor plan to get an idea of what is in the offer. Here are some typical shorthand markings used in ads and especially in floor plans:

TK = tuulikaappi, vestibule
ET = eteinen, entryway, hall

H = huone, a generic room that possibly could be used as a living room or a bedroom or a study or whatever
MH = makuuhuone, bedroom (or just a generic room that could be used as a bedroom)
OH = olohuone, living room
TH = takkahuone or työhuone, fireplace room or study
TH, TKH = takkahuone, fireplace room
ALK = alkovi, alcove

K = keittiö, kitchen
KK = keittokomero, kitchenette; small closet-like kitchen or open cooking area on the side of a room primarily used for some other purpose
RT = ruokailutila, dining room / space for dining table

KH = kylpyhuone, bathroom (a room with a shower or a bathtub, possibly with a toilet seat too)
KPH = kylpy- ja pesuhuone, bathroom and washing room
PH = pesuhuone, washing room (usually with a shower)
PHK = pukuhuone, changing room
WC = vessa, “bathroom” (room with a toilet seat)

LH = löylyhuone, “steam room” – another name for a sauna (used in floor plans mostly)
S = sauna

KHH = kodinhoitohuone, laundry room, utility room
VAR = varasto, storage room
VH = vaatehuone, walk-in wardrobe/cupboard/storage room
SIIV = siivouskomero, cleaning cupboard
TEKN, TT = tekninen tila

P = parveke, balcony
AT = autotalli, garage
AK = autokatos, parking space with a roof
AP = autopaikka, parking space

As for types of housing, it’s usually...
UK-style terraced houses or townhouses – the kind of which would directly line the city streets and have front doors facing the street with no front yard to speak of – is a housing concept that does not really exist in Finland, at least not in any significant numbers. There are two-story rowhouses, some of which have the individual units arranged in two stories as well – instead of one unit above the other – but these still typically have a yard arrangement which is different from the UK townhouse idea.

Maybe you’d like to take a Google Street View tour around Tampere to see the various residential areas for yourself: click, click, click, click, click... just keep dropping the little yellow man in various random areas on the map and scout around a bit.
znark

Mobious

Post by Mobious » Sun May 23, 2010 11:02 pm

Thank you very much Jukka that was a very helpful post.

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Mon May 24, 2010 12:53 pm

A couple of additional notes:
  • There are two relevant sticky threads at the top of the Housing in Finland forum. You might want to read them if you haven’t already.
  • Even if your work is in Tampere, you may want to extend your search for vacant housing into the nearby town of Nokia (Google Street View) or Ylöjärvi (Google Street View).
  • If you find something of interest, there’s a good chance you might be able to check out the neighborhood in Google Street View – to better assess in what kind of an area the property is. So keep typing those addresses you can find in ads (Somestreet 10, Tampere, Finland; Otherstreet 12, Nokia, Finland) into the Google Maps search box. Then drop the little yellow man into the area and he can possibly do some of the footwork for you.
znark

dave071061

Post by dave071061 » Mon May 24, 2010 1:40 pm

Mobious wrote:In the UK we are use to having our own house and that would still probably by my first choice as I am not a big fan of apartments. (That is not meant as a slight against anyone who lives in one, it is just a personal preference).
As already stated, don´t use your views of housing in the UK when thinking about Finland, Although I have a house there really are some big advantages to living in an apartment with all the services provided for you, especially as neither of you speak Finnish! Think of the added stress of simple things like arranging to get your bins emptied when you can´t speak Finnish! (And know it´s not done automatically by the council, you have to choose a provider and make an arrangment with them) Same applies for oil supplies etc etc,

Maybe a good solution for you would be a rivitalo or partitalo. then you get the advantages of house living but still have the Housing company to deal with some of the day to day issues

kalmisto

Post by kalmisto » Mon May 24, 2010 2:15 pm

Mobious

Stuart McNaughton ( an Englishman, lives in an apartment ) writes about his life in Tampere :
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/2557589.stm

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Mon May 24, 2010 3:06 pm

dave071061 wrote:Maybe a good solution for you would be a rivitalo or partitalo. then you get the advantages of house living but still have the Housing company to deal with some of the day to day issues
omakotitalo = detached house
paritalo = semi-detached house
rivitalo = row house, Finnish-style (click, click, click, click, click, click, click, click)
kerrostalo = apartment building

Some of the more recent development is getting closer to the UK townhouse / terraced house idea, though... but still, you don’t generally see entire inner city streets lined with endless rows of identical-looking two or three-story wall-to-wall houses here. That space is usually reserved for apartment buildings.
znark

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Mon May 24, 2010 4:17 pm

Mobious wrote:Well thank you everyone for your posts. It is very interesting to hear the differences in something as simple bedrooms. For example I have a small house in the UK which consists of three rooms downstairs, (two receptions rooms and a kitchen) and then three rooms upstairs. (two bedrooms and a bathroom).
Jukka gave a lengthy listing of Finnish abbreviations for housing ads, FYI, your current house would be OKT - 4H + K + KH. Though 4H in Finland is usually 3 bedrooms + 1 living room. Separate dining rooms are unusual in modern apartments / houese here, the dining area is more often a section of the living room or part of the kitchen.
A bit odd that you would have a first choice without yet visiting and taking a look. In the UK apartments and city centre living are far from the norm. Here around half of the population live in apartments, the benefits will be come apparent when you move here. There is far more maintenance and upkeep required for detached wooden houses at these latitudes than for brick houses in the UK. There's also far less benefit of having your own garden over here, it'll only be usable mid-May to mid-September.

If you are moving to Finland to take up a director position, then your employer should pay for a professional relocation service, e.g. http://www.finlandrelocation.com/ who will help you with the minutiae.

If you are thinking of bringing a car (crazy not to as cars are quite expensive), make sure you don't buy a new one within the 6 months before moving here, otherwise you'll get hammered for import tax.

After Helsinki and Espoo Tampere's the third largest population centre, so if your wife would have a chance of getting a job anywhere outside of Helsinki / Espoo - it's there.