facts on Oulu.....

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Hank W.
The Motorhead

Re: facts on Oulu.....

Post by Hank W. » Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:23 am

Peter Floyd wrote:..There is a saying in Finland:
1. Learn to know the poisonous mushrooms.
2. Eat only the mushrooms you know.

:mrgreen:

And believe me, they sell false morels in stores (poisoned mushrooms) and stupid people (or ignorant foreigners) get poisoned every spring, because they don't know how to use them. Believe me, I won't eat anyone elses mushrooms than my own.

Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Re: Thanks

Post by Hank W. » Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:37 am

The Wolverine wrote: I read somewhere that most of the fins know a bit of english but they never speak.
Don't ask "Do you speak english" they'll say "no " and continue. Ask your question straight. Asking "Do you speak English" is about the same as "Do you breathe?" and as Finns have "bad breath" so to speak, or are very shy because they think they do not speak English grammatically correct and eveyone will laugh as in school and the teacher gives them minus points so they say "no" and continue to avoid this embarrasment. A bit like in parts of Asia everyone says "yes yes" and smiles stupidly whether they understand or not. Here everyone is "no, no" but they understand perfectly. Helsinki Railroad station is full of goons then. They'll steal your ass off. Not wanting to say anything about ethnic or lifestyle minorities there, but ask people who seem to be on legitimate business. (You are a city boy I hope?) Also if you ask anything from the Hare Krishnas they'll sell you a book before the train leaves.

If and when you are coming give me a PM if the dates fit I might be able to give you a small tour around in Helsinki. If you fly to Helsinki and there is nobody to get you, there is a regular city bus 615 that comes straight down to the railroad station with 3 euros. Taxi or airport bus cost you 20.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:52 am

Hank W. wrote:
Peter Floyd wrote:..
. Eat only the mushrooms you know.

Maippi's grandmother (98 years old) lives in the forest and is a mushroom expert...we usualy visit her in October to stock up but there is one of her favorites I will not even touch...In all of the books it has the four dagger mark meaning fatal if eaten it looks like a deformed black ear which should be enough to put of most people.. but she says .."on varma tosi myrkyllinen mutta mummi tiedä kuinka tehdä riskitön.. maistu!"
:roll:
Ei kiitos ....

The Wolverine

a finnish meal....and ....?

Post by The Wolverine » Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:50 am

Hi....all,

Thanks for all ur suggestions ..they're really helpful to get an picture. anyways, can u tell me about the finnish meals...... i mean, the typical finnish meal....and are there any McDonald's restuarent's there(in Oulu).

Also I have a very important question.... I dont drink..and neither I want to in future. I come from a good christain family. I've read in many sites that in finland almost everyone drinks, and especially the student community, I'm afraid I might be considered as a sissy and be left out of the crowd.

But these are my assuptions, casue I dont know anything in real. I dont how much to belive those articles in those sites. But still... I'd very happy to know first hand information from you.

sam.
"Whatjou doin'?"
"Thinkin'."
"Well, that's never a good sign, is it?"

The Wolverine

yea yea...

Post by The Wolverine » Sat Jul 05, 2003 2:00 am

A bit like in parts of Asia everyone says "yes yes" and smiles stupidly whether they understand or not
your're right,

when I was in malaysia and I was asking a local to tell me what was written on the shop....he was sayign "ya'k", "ya'k" (his version of OK)....I was asking he repeatedly and he was just saying "ya'k" "ya'k" and smiling at me..... it was so funny now.....but at that moment I was irritated. :? :evil: and of course we indians are no excpetion :lol: :wink: ....

~sam
"Whatjou doin'?"
"Thinkin'."

Tom and Jerry

Post by Tom and Jerry » Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:37 am

Peter Floyd wrote:
Maippi's grandmother (98 years old) lives in the forest and is a mushroom expert...we usualy visit her in October to stock up but there is one of her favorites I will not even touch...In all of the books it has the four dagger mark meaning fatal if eaten it looks like a deformed black ear which should be enough to put of most people.. but she says .."on varma tosi myrkyllinen mutta mummi tiedä kuinka tehdä riskitön.. maistu!"
:roll:
Ei kiitos ....
korvasieni is the name:

That one isn't so dangerous after propperly cooking.

However this one is:

In previous times used for ending unhappy marriages.
:mrgreen:

Tom and Jerry

Post by Tom and Jerry » Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:43 am

That one isn't so dangerous after propperly cooking.

However this one is:

valkokärpässieni

In previous times used for ending unhappy marriages. :mrgreen:

Today, not used anymore.

Tom and Jerry

Re: a finnish meal....and ....?

Post by Tom and Jerry » Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:49 am

The Wolverine wrote:Hi....all,

I've read in many sites that in finland almost everyone drinks, and especially the student community,

sam.
The new prime minister of Finland, Matti Vanhanen, doesn't drink alcohol at all. Does that suit you?
The alcohol consumption per capita is in Finland one of the lowest in Europe.

PeterF

Re: a finnish meal....and ....?

Post by PeterF » Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:10 am

The Wolverine wrote:Hi....all,

]I dont drink..and neither I want to in future. I come from a good christain family. I've read in many sites that in finland almost everyone drinks, and especially the student community, I'm afraid I might be considered as a sissy and be left out of the crowd.
sam.
!: Being a Christian does not preclude one from taking alko.Dont beat that drum...Why did Jesus turn the water to wine and what was he drinking at the last super?
What do you drink at Communion?
2:Not everyone in Finland drinks..but some drink too much usualy because they are lonely.
3: The student community " in general" do not drink in excess..they cant afford the prices..and until they are 21 they can only buy beer not hard drink and in many places they cannot even get in..the ones I have seen seem to drink mainly coke. (Yes there is a McD and also their competitors)
4: Not drinking will probably clasify you amongst your fellow students as senisible not a sissy.dont worry about it.
5. Food..in Oulu/Finland..there are lots of rice based dishes..curries tend to be vey mild..but many students do own cooking and you can buy most things you need to make Indian food.
:idea: If you can turn out a good curry inviting other students to share it with you could be a good way to break the ice :idea:

The Wolverine

i dont wanna a .....

Post by The Wolverine » Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:53 pm

hello peter,
Being a Christian does not preclude one from taking alko.Dont beat that drum...Why did Jesus turn the water to wine and what was he drinking at the last super?
What do you drink at Communion?
I dont want a debate on this... but here in India drinking is considered as a serious issue......and i was bought up in such an environment .....ok .....so for me drinking is a big thing. so understand..I dont mean to degrade anyone...ok anyways thanks for all the info...

sam
"Whatjou doin'?"
"Thinkin'."

Sara

Post by Sara » Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:59 pm

Sam, I understand that you have a different background to many of the people you are going to meet here. But at the end of the day, people are very open here and if you choose to drink or not no one is going to question you on it. Everything here is your choice :D

I was a student here before moving and very rarely did we go out for drinks because we were all watching our money. When we did go out some drank and some didnt, it was never even a issue.

The Wolverine

I asked about the meals

Post by The Wolverine » Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:36 pm

hi,

thanks sara. :)

and i've asked about the finnish meal, no one has replied about it. I want to eat the local food. So plz tell me what is a typcial finnish meal...and I alos asked about Mcdonalds, Are there any McDonald restuatrents in Oulu? I visited the site but its all in finnish. anyways lemme know about these things. and by the way... is mushroom a fav. dish for the finns? I've eaten mushrooms once or twice in my whole life time. Are they sooooooo tatsty????

sam.
"Whatjou doin'?"
"Thinkin'."

Sara

Post by Sara » Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:20 pm

Im sure there are plenty of Mcdonalds in Oulu!

http://www.mcdonalds.fi/ravintolat/index.php

thats a list of the McDonalds and there 2 places in Oulu.

Finnish food is nice, you will be able to try it best at university or college quite cheaply. Pizza, kebabs and burgers are very popular as fast food.

A proper meal usually consists of some main meat like chicken legs, meatloaf, some vegetable dish, plus potatoes/pasta or rice, salad and bread. Eating at your place of study or work is usually the best option, its cheap, generally healthy and has a good selection.

PeterF

Re: i dont wanna a .....

Post by PeterF » Sun Jul 06, 2003 8:54 am

The Wolverine wrote:here in India drinking is considered as a serious issue......and i was bought up in such an environment sam
Yep drinking water is quite dangerous in India :wink: ..that is one thing you do not need to worry about here in Finland the water in many lakes and rivers especialy in North Finland is as safe to drink as that you buy in a bottle.
By the way if you re-read my posting I did answer your question about food and McDs in Oulu.
Sorry If I was a bit sharp I am never in my best frame of mind early Saturday morning when I have been woken up by returning rowdy party goers at 4AM.

The Wolverine

oops...sorry

Post by The Wolverine » Sun Jul 06, 2003 10:23 am

Sorry peter,

I forgot to read the 3rd point. I was a bit more eager to see what you said about drinking rather than the food. Sorry again.

and what i meant to say by
here in India drinking is considered as a serious issue......and i was bought up in such an environment sam
was that drinking alko is regraded as the most serious issue. and I was bought up under such enviroment...

I'm going to delhi to apply for residence permit....tommorow so guys wish me luck 8)
sam
"Whatjou doin'?"
"Thinkin'."