Registration Plates for a trailer

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
lotta

Post by lotta » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:06 pm

Hi, Have seen plenty of threads on here about getting a car registered, but how do I go about getting a trailer registered?
When we came over from the UK we drove over and towed a trailer with a load of our stuff,
Would now like to sell the trailer, so need to get number plates for it. (In the UK it doesn't need to be registered and just uses the same number plate as the car towing it)

Thanks for any help :)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:11 pm

Hey, a new one!

OK, it has to be registered/inspected at the katsastus. You best call them and ask. Theres some rules with brakes/no brakes/rear lights/ no NATO-hooks allowed etc.

If it won't pass and nobody is willing to take it back to the UK, I can always use it at the mökki to haul manure to the roses :wink:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

lotta

Post by lotta » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:18 pm

mrjimsfc

Post by mrjimsfc » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:28 pm

Hank W. wrote: I can always use it at the mökki to haul manure to the roses :wink:
You have a mökki? I thought only rich people had those. What??? You're rich too? How about inviting everone out to a kesä mökki party? Huh? Huh? :P

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:32 pm

The kesämökki is a family heirloom from the 1940's in need of massive repairs. Do I sign you for the logging, yardcleaning, concrete mixing, digging or been-eaten-by-swampflies crew? Mind you the loo is an original from 1948 and the water runs if you run up the hill with a bucket. :mrgreen:
Cheers, Hank W.

mrjimsfc

Post by mrjimsfc » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:41 pm

Oooh...sounds like it's genuine Finnish manufacture. My motto is, "Have chainsaw, will travel". Where is the loo in conjunction with the well? I surely hope they are a fair distance apart. NO ROSES AROUND THE WELL! :lol: Are you out on your own island? If so, how will you use the trailer to haul manuer/mannuare/manure/paska out to the roses?

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:44 pm

If there ever was a lake, it is now a peat bog (hence the swampflies). Along the weeds we find 1 boat, 5 cars and a tractor. Its not a 'kesämökki' - it is Gulag kilometer post 31 ...
Cheers, Hank W.

mrjimsfc

Post by mrjimsfc » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:48 pm

Oh, THAT one, and I had all these visions of some idyllic island location. Way to go Hank! Ruin a perfectly good daydream. :?

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:53 pm

I'll be there the whole of June. I'll come back to work in July to rest...
Cheers, Hank W.

John

Post by John » Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:00 pm

Trailers are easy, there's no import tax to pay just a registration katsastus to pass and insurance to buy.

Finland has its own interpretation of EU law and requires extra lights and reflectors compared with the uk.

They also require the chassis number stamping on the chassis, which can be done at the katsastus station if you talk nicely.

Good luck

John :D

Woops nearly forgot, you require proof of purchase when registering your trailer, something writen on a pc and signed by the ex owner will do.
"Duff beer"...........the cause and solution of most of lifes problems
ANON (H.Simpson)