Health Insurance EU-movers

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Post Reply
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:27 pm
Location: Helsinki

Health Insurance EU-movers

Post by Nienke » Mon May 03, 2004 1:20 pm

Hello everybody,
I just can't seem to figure out what to do about helath insurance. I am moving to Finland from The Netherlands, and am now insured through my job, which ends at the beginning of June.
I still have to find work in Finland, so how am I going to insure myself? Not only health insurance, but also against car-wrecking, theft etc. I don't think I can still make claims upon my Dutch insurance. Hopefully someone understands my struggle?

Health Insurance EU-movers


Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Posts: 10648
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:07 am

Post by Rosamunda » Mon May 03, 2004 1:57 pm

A similar question was on the board a week ago....

For the health bit, the answer is probably (depending on your personal circumstances) to apply for an E111 before you leave the Netherlands. This will cover your health insurance, it is just a form that you need to fill in and is valid in all EU countries. Check at your local Social Security office. Somebody posted last week that the E111 is (apparently) valid for up to three years after you leave your country - but I would check with the Dutch civil servants if I were you.

As for car etc. If you are bringing your Dutch car to Finland then your insurance company in Holland should cover you for 3 months or so... or longer if you return to Holland with the car on a regular basis. Check with them. If you are planning on importing a car and registering it in Finland then you will need to get Finnish insurance but that shouldn't be a big problem....

I think you need to start by calling your Dutch insurance company and getting something from them in writing that says exactly what your coverage is and for how long.

Post Reply