live and travel around Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
rockinthefreeworld

Post by rockinthefreeworld » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:49 pm

I finished studying university and I'm taking a "free" year to travel and get to know other cultures and people... I love traveling... I'm staying with a family in finland (they are old friends of my parents) their son went to study to Germany so they kind of "adopted" me while he's not here so I don't have to worry about food or a place to stay and I saved a lot of money to travel around so I don't need to work and don't want to work or study because I still have to finish my thesis to graduate and I don't wanna be going to a school or something so I'm able to travel. Friends told me that I shouldn't worry about a visa because I was traveling and getting my passport stamped many times, but now I realize this is not true!! that I had to be 6 months out of Finland (and I don't know if also out of the EU) so the most important question is: Is there some kind of resident permit I could apply for? (not studying, not working, no finnish relatives and not refugee, I found out there was something like "another reason" permit but they say that turism is not a valid reason)
2.- what happens if I travel to another country of the EU and they check my passport and find out I've been more than 3 months in finland? would I get deported from that other country? would they notify to migration office in Finland?
3.- when I'm going back home do I get something like "not allow to go back to Finland again or to all EU? ticket?
hope somebody can help I know it was bad desicion to come just like that but I have some friends that years ago traveled around europe for more than 1 year without any problems and without visa or permit and I thought it was allowed when you get the stamps from different countries but now I've been reading and realized this is not legal :S
help!!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rip

Re: live and travel around Finland

Post by Rip » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:49 pm

rockinthefreeworld wrote: Is there some kind of resident permit I could apply for? (not studying, not working, no finnish relatives and not refugee, I found out there was something like "another reason" permit but they say that turism is not a valid reason)
No, no and no. There is no tourist permit, even most of the other permits you are not supposed to apply while you're already here, and you would not want to in violation of the law already at the date of you apply.
2.- what happens if I travel to another country of the EU and they check my passport and find out I've been more than 3 months in finland? would I get deported from that other country? would they notify to migration office in Finland?
If they not that you have overstayed I would expect them to send you back home. It would make no sense to let you go back to Finland. The Schengen area has one outer border and time limit for stays without a residence permit.
3.- when I'm going back home do I get something like "not allow to go back to Finland again or to all EU? ticket?
Both are possible. Implementation seems to vary. I think we are more gentle than Americans, so that any no-rentry notice on your file would not last the rest of your life.

Bit of news from mid January this year. They had picked during first two weeks of the year eleven persons at the Helsinki Airport who were leaving (the Schengen area) and were noted to have over stayed their 90 days. Some of them we given re-entry ban, the longest for five year period for who had stayed in Schengen area for six years: http://yle.fi/uutiset/kotimaa/2011/01/h ... 85221.html

Probably the possible penalty is smaller if you leave yourself and don't continue your overstay for much longer.

rinso

Post by rinso » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:33 am

In your situation I only see one option:
- come for 3 months, then leave the Schengen area for 3 months, then come back for 3 months.
Overstaying your 90 day period will lead to deportation and an entry ban (when they find out).
The duration of your ban depends on the lengths of your overstaying, but it will at least ruin your chance to come back during your sabbatical.

Anne.Curtiz

Post by Anne.Curtiz » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:24 am

The longest in the Schengen area illegally had been here nearly six years, ie 2 411 days.
Be sent back said prescribed has done work for Schengen area since 2004. He has now prescribed a five-year entry.
Normally, a visa may be in need of the Schengen area for up to 90 days within six months.