Hello

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
User avatar
SeanK
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 3:31 pm
Location: Phoenix Arizona

Hello

Post by SeanK » Tue May 11, 2004 3:42 pm

Hi,

My name is Sean. I live in Phoenix, AZ. My wife is from Tampere (family in Virrat). I will be looking at moving to Finland in a few years. In the meantime, I am looking at attempting to balance family, all of my scholastic studies, work, and learning the Finnish language. I have been somewhat learning it for four years now (and haven't gotten very far).

I have been to Finland three times. The first time was when I got married in 1999. We had a beautiful summer wedding. My wife, two children, and I are going to be coming out to Finland this Christmas to show off our infant to the family. This will be my first winter experience there.

Anyway... I look forward to talking with you all and learning of your experiences living in Finland. I am particularly interested in how an "English only" native speaker can find work in Finland. I joke with my wife that I will just sit around playing video games with the kids while she works. It is of course just a sorry attempt at humor, but I do have considerable apprehensions and concerns because I am used to an American English environment with all of our rules and laws. Moving to Finland is a little bit scary...


I am new here.

Hello

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic
 

User avatar
Hank W.
The Motorhead
Posts: 29987
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2002 10:00 pm
Location: Mushroom Mountain
Contact:

Re: Hello

Post by Hank W. » Tue May 11, 2004 3:58 pm

Hi Sean and welcome to the group!
SeanK wrote:I am looking at attempting to balance family, all of my scholastic studies, work, and learning the Finnish language.
Well, that is quite a task - adding moving to a different country will make a difference. If you read through the site you will find a lot of Q&A regarding stuff. If you have specific questions I am sure we can find an answer.

Some stuff needs to be premeditated though, so just for reference, whats the scholastic/work scenario. Some professions, like swimming pool repairmen are... whats a swimming pool?
SeanK wrote:I am used to an American English environment with all of our rules and laws.
Well, there are some similarities and differences between Finland and Arizona.

1. Hunting camels is not prohibited in Finland. (There are no camels though.)

2. Any misdemeanor committed while wearing a red mask is not considered a felony in Finland - yet. This might change though.

3. It is not possible to get 25 years in prison for cutting down a cactus in Finland. (You can spend 25 years trying to find a cactus...)

4. In Finland donkeys can sleep in bathtubs.

5. When being attacked by a criminal or burglar, you may only protect yourself by running away in Finland.

6. And in Finland you may have more than two dildos in a house.

7. Especially in a house where more than six girls live.

8. There is no ordinance prohibiting the wearing of suspenders, but there has been talk of banning white tennis socks.

9. It is quite legal for men and women over the age of 18 to have less than one missing tooth visible when smiling. (That is if you find anyone smiling with their teeth showing)

10. And in Finland, women wear the pants.

:mrgreen:
Last edited by Hank W. on Tue May 11, 2004 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.


User avatar
mrjimsfc
Posts: 1903
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:18 pm
Location: Western USA

Re: Hello

Post by mrjimsfc » Tue May 11, 2004 4:55 pm

Hank W. wrote:5. When being attacked by a criminal or burglar, you may only protect yourself by running away in Finland.
And if you can't run fast enough and you die, your killer gets out of jail free on certain holidays.

(I'm still upset about that one :evil: )


Rosamunda
Posts: 10640
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:07 am

Re: Hello

Post by Rosamunda » Tue May 11, 2004 8:23 pm

Hank W. wrote: 8. There is no ordinance prohibiting the wearing of suspenders, but there has been talk of banning white tennis socks.


:mrgreen:
and grey shoes :roll:


sunny
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:06 pm

Re: Hello

Post by sunny » Tue May 11, 2004 10:03 pm

That was pretty good Hank! :D

Spitting on the street is considered social activity and required to acquire full integrity. :)
Last edited by sunny on Tue May 11, 2004 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.


User avatar
SeanK
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 3:31 pm
Location: Phoenix Arizona

Post by SeanK » Tue May 11, 2004 10:31 pm

I tried to reply, but got a database error. I will rewrite everything soon... but would like to say thank you for the warm welcome. I am looking forward to being part of this group for a while.

Maybe someday I will be on the other side helping a person such as myself. :)
I am new here.


Juha H.
Posts: 438
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2003 8:32 pm
Location: Palokka, Finland

Post by Juha H. » Tue May 11, 2004 11:21 pm

Hi, Sean, and welcome to live in Finland. Most of the members here seem to be from the capital area, but there might be some in your area as well. Virrat is fairly close to the Jyväskylä area, where I live. Might meet you one day!


User avatar
SeanK
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 3:31 pm
Location: Phoenix Arizona

Post by SeanK » Wed May 12, 2004 6:39 am

Juha,

That sounds great... I'll buy you a Karjala, Lapin Kulta, Karhu or other beer of your choice! (that is of course if I have a job :wink: )
I am new here.


Caroline
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2003 8:38 pm

Post by Caroline » Wed May 12, 2004 12:24 pm

Hi Sean, welcome to ., and good luck as you make your plans for the future.

I'm American too, from Massachusetts, and have lived in Oulu since 2001, and my husband is Finnish. We've never lived in the USA together though, so I can't offer any advice on what it's like to move back to the spouse's country. But there are some members here who have had that experience, so I'd recommend getting in touch with them for advice and perspectives. From what I've heard, a move overseas does change the relationship, no matter how well prepared a family is.

I think it's healthy to be scared of such a move, because if you feel too confident, it's a sign that you have unrealistic expectations. Basically, it's impossible to know what it's like to live in another country without actually living there, so it's the kind of thing where you just have to take the plunge. Visiting somewhere is veerrrry different from living there.

In all honesty, the job market is lousy for non-Finnish speakers (and lousy even for Finnish speakers too :? ) unless one is in IT, teaching, or international daycare work. It also helps if you know someone who can pull some strings for you, especially if you don't have a Finnish education.

Have you thought about the adjustment to the climate here? The charming winters get old quickly, and that's coming from a die-hard New Englander :wink:
Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.

Remembah whea ya pahked ya cah!


User avatar
SeanK
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 3:31 pm
Location: Phoenix Arizona

Post by SeanK » Wed May 12, 2004 3:44 pm

Well... I said I would retype my summary...
Some stuff needs to be premeditated though, so just for reference, whats the scholastic/work scenario
I was trained in electronics and electronic engineering in the Navy through their own schooling which pretty much equates to a two year vocational degree. I worked on security systems, RF communications, and computers. While I was working in the military, I also got an associates in computer science focusing on C++ and Assembly programming as well as networking. I am now in school with 9 months remaining toward my BS in Information Technology. (current class Java Programming 2) I will then be getting my Masters Degree of Business in Techology Management (MBA/TM). Then we move to Finland after we sell our home.

I currently work as a Project Engineer (Engineer III). I design, build, manage, etc the installation of technology components in enhanced 911 dispatch centers on US Fed contracts. Right now I am running the show on a >$5mil installation of computers, RF Coms, Telephone, Alarm Systems, CCTV Systems, etc in an undisclosed location. I don't know if there is any equivelant of this type of work in Finland, but I am sure there are bits and pieces of my experience that could prove beneficial.
I am new here.


User avatar
Hank W.
The Motorhead
Posts: 29987
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2002 10:00 pm
Location: Mushroom Mountain
Contact:

Post by Hank W. » Wed May 12, 2004 3:48 pm

If you'd be a Finnish citizen, I'd try to get scalp money off you from my department, but Government Services in Finland are somewhat of a national security issue... :wink:

However with your background, I'd say your "marketability" is quite high. That is, unless you insist on moving to boondoxville 'because its so nice' and 'houses are so cheap' (because everyone has moved away for some odd reason like no jobs...)
Last edited by Hank W. on Wed May 12, 2004 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.


User avatar
SeanK
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 3:31 pm
Location: Phoenix Arizona

Post by SeanK » Wed May 12, 2004 3:51 pm

Have you thought about the adjustment to the climate here? The charming winters get old quickly, and that's coming from a die-hard New Englander
Hi Caroline. Thank you for the warm welcome.

I am not too fond of cold weather, but who is? :lol: In any case, I can get by for my wife and family. It is important to me that my children get to live in Finland. (It is 50% of their heritage...)
In all honesty, the job market is lousy for non-Finnish speakers (and lousy even for Finnish speakers too ) unless one is in IT, teaching, or international daycare work. It also helps if you know someone who can pull some strings for you, especially if you don't have a Finnish education.
It is kind of funny that you say that. I am in IT and my wife has done mostly daycare work here in the states. (She has a Masters Degree in English Literature... not a lot of jobs for that degree here in the states, other than teacher.)

I think that even if I was the FIRST person to try to migrate into Finland from a foreign country with a near impossible chance of getting a job, I would still do it. The reality is that people have done it, and many of you are living proof. That is comforting to a degree, and I am really glad that I have stumbled across this site... and even more happy that all of you exist and are willing to help out others.
Last edited by SeanK on Wed May 12, 2004 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am new here.


User avatar
Hank W.
The Motorhead
Posts: 29987
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2002 10:00 pm
Location: Mushroom Mountain
Contact:

Post by Hank W. » Wed May 12, 2004 3:54 pm

Caroline wrote:Have you thought about the adjustment to the climate here?
And whole new concepts that now seem bizarre, like taking the city bus in -20 morning "because its faster and more convenient" :wink:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.


User avatar
SeanK
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 3:31 pm
Location: Phoenix Arizona

Post by SeanK » Wed May 12, 2004 3:55 pm

Hank W. wrote:If you'd be a Finnish citizen, I'd try to get scalp money off you from my department, but Government Services in Finland are somewhat of a national security issue... :wink:

However with your background, I'd say your "marketability" is quite high. That is, unless you insist on moving to boondoxville 'because its so nice' and 'houses are so cheap' (because everyone has moved away for some odd reason like no jobs...)

No boondox... My wife lived most of her college years in Tampere being that she got her degree there. She likes Tampere quite a bit, but for me the job dictates the location. Living in Helsinki is a LOT closer to her family than living in Arizona, USA... so I think that she would be happy with that.
I am new here.


User avatar
SeanK
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 3:31 pm
Location: Phoenix Arizona

Post by SeanK » Wed May 12, 2004 4:00 pm

Hank W. wrote:
Caroline wrote:Have you thought about the adjustment to the climate here?
And whole new concepts that now seem bizarre, like taking the city bus in -20 morning "because its faster and more convenient" :wink:
LOL... as long as the busses are heated! :shock:

I won't let myself think that it will be TOOOOO bad. I lived in Chicago without a car when I was younger. I remember walking a short distance to work in -20 with a -10 windchill (sometimes better, sometimes worse) every day. I took busses and trains everywhere.

My wife claims that it is easy to live in cities like Tampere without a car. I guess we shall see.... :wink:
I am new here.


Post Reply