Red hair in Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
dnaltocs
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:33 am

Red hair in Finland

Post by dnaltocs » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:27 pm

Terve! Can I ask a question...

Are natural redheaded woman seen as attractive in Finland (in general)?

I'd prefer if native Finns (male/female) answer this. :)


:cry:

Red hair in Finland

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic
 

Upphew
Posts: 9963
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:55 pm
Location: Lappeenranta

Re: Red hair in Finland

Post by Upphew » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:01 pm

I prefer brunettes, but I won't spit on redhead nor on blond... so in my opinion it is more about the whole package, not the colour of the hair. As for how the public sees things.. I'd hazard a guess that the colour of the hair won't make anyone more or less attractive (unless we're talking about really deep red, raven black, almost white blond etc.)
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.


Jukka Aho
Posts: 5238
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:46 am
Location: Espoo, Finland

Re: Red hair in Finland

Post by Jukka Aho » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:20 pm

dnaltocs wrote:Are natural redheaded woman seen as attractive in Finland (in general)?

I'd prefer if native Finns (male/female) answer this. :)
I’d fathom a guess Finland is just like any other place where a diverse selection of natural hair colors can be found “in the wild”. Because all natural hair colors, including red, are to some degree “present” at all times in Finland, there’s no big draw to a single “special” hair color, such as the special attention you might get as a natural blonde in some parts of Asia.

Some men, of course, do have an individual preference (or at least a soft spot ;) for certain hair colors, finding them more attractive than the others. But it’s hard to say how big a chunk of this “special attention” redheads get, specifically, when compared to the other hair colors.

So, to answer your question, I’m not aware of any general trend, among Finnish men, towards favoring or disfavoring natural redheads, specifically. But there are sure to be lots of those who do find redheads attractive. (I do!)

Oh, I’m a native, and male.
znark


User avatar
Pursuivant
Posts: 15094
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:51 am
Location: Bath & Wells

Re: Red hair in Finland

Post by Pursuivant » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:01 pm

Ah, theres a lot of red hair around, but you do know how to tell if the girl is a real ginger :D
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."


Rob A.
Posts: 3964
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:51 am

Re: Red hair in Finland

Post by Rob A. » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:34 pm

I'm not a native, but I'll respond anyway...

You're probably English or American...maybe not....

But in England there seems to be some residual "prejudice" against redheads, no doubt due to all those historic "disputes" with the Scots and the Irish....[the country with the world's highest proportion of redheads is Scotland ...according to wikipedia...about 13%...though there is some ancient study that says the Udmurts ....a Finno-Ugric people located in Russia ...have that "honour"...and the country with the highest absolute number of redheads is...not surprisingly, the good, ol' USA.] And, strangely, to me anyway, red hair in Russia and some parts of eastern Europe seems to be associated with Jewishness... :?

I would doubt that Finland has ever had any negative sense of about red hair..... Female mustaches seem to be the thing that turns off Finnish males...and, of course, redheads are not going to be a population subset with that "affliction".... :wink:
Last edited by Rob A. on Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.


Rip
Posts: 5583
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:08 pm

Re: Red hair in Finland

Post by Rip » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:35 pm

Yes (, but don't tell my wife)


User avatar
Pursuivant
Posts: 15094
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:51 am
Location: Bath & Wells

Re: Red hair in Finland

Post by Pursuivant » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:34 pm

Rob A. wrote: Female mustaches seem to be the thing that turns off Finnish males...
The moustache gene gets prevalent on the south shores of tha baltic and is predominant south of the Alps/Carpathians...
The more south you get the bigger whiskers, that is why mideast culture requires women wear a veil, because they make 16-year old boys feel ashamed.

BTW dnaltocs - my ex-wife had a (dyed) red hair and my ex-gf was an irish ginger, I'd bang you senseless :wink:
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."


User avatar
Mook
Posts: 2945
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:25 pm
Location: Etelä Tuusula
Contact:

Re: Red hair in Finland

Post by Mook » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:28 pm

Pursuivant wrote:Ah, theres a lot of red hair around, but you do know how to tell if the girl is a real ginger :D
if the:

- cuffs match the collar

or

- curtains match the lampshades
---
Image http://blog.enogastronomist.com | http://blog.enogastronomisti.com


Upphew
Posts: 9963
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:55 pm
Location: Lappeenranta

Re: Red hair in Finland

Post by Upphew » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:58 pm

Mook wrote:
Pursuivant wrote:Ah, theres a lot of red hair around, but you do know how to tell if the girl is a real ginger :D
if the:

- cuffs match the collar

or

- curtains match the lampshades
then

- buy razor
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.


User avatar
Mook
Posts: 2945
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:25 pm
Location: Etelä Tuusula
Contact:

Re: Red hair in Finland

Post by Mook » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:52 pm

Upphew wrote:
Mook wrote:
Pursuivant wrote:Ah, theres a lot of red hair around, but you do know how to tell if the girl is a real ginger :D
if the:

- cuffs match the collar

or

- curtains match the lampshades
then

- buy razor
if you like the pre-pubescent look.
---
Image http://blog.enogastronomist.com | http://blog.enogastronomisti.com


Upphew
Posts: 9963
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:55 pm
Location: Lappeenranta

Re: Red hair in Finland

Post by Upphew » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:13 pm

Mook wrote:if you like the pre-pubescent look.
I don't like hairs in my mouth.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.


User avatar
ajdias
Posts: 2474
Joined: Sun May 04, 2003 9:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Red hair in Finland

Post by ajdias » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:18 pm

I believe red hair to be an advantage when applying to jobs with Kela :lol:


skandagupta
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:02 am
Location: jambudvipa

Re: Red hair in Finland

Post by skandagupta » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:47 am

dnaltocs wrote:Terve! Can I ask a question...

Are natural redheaded woman seen as attractive in Finland (in general)?

I'd prefer if native Finns (male/female) answer this. :)
Yes.
Avatar ei ole Foorumissa!


dnaltocs
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:33 am

Re: Red hair in Finland

Post by dnaltocs » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:26 pm

ajdias wrote:I believe red hair to be an advantage when applying to jobs with Kela :lol:
How? :?
Rob A. wrote:You're probably English or American...maybe not....

But in England there seems to be some residual "prejudice" against redheads, no doubt due to all those historic "disputes" with the Scots and the Irish....[the country with the world's highest proportion of redheads is Scotland ...according to wikipedia...about 13%...though there is some ancient study that says the Udmurts ....a Finno-Ugric people located in Russia ...have that "honour"...and the country with the highest absolute number of redheads is...not surprisingly, the good, ol' USA.] And, strangely, to me anyway, red hair in Russia and some parts of eastern Europe seems to be associated with Jewishness... :?

I would doubt that Finland has ever had any negative sense of about red hair..... Female mustaches seem to be the thing that turns off Finnish males...and, of course, redheads are not going to be a population subset with that "affliction".... :wink:
No, I'm not from England or American, but you're American? Do you know what percentage Finland is?


Jukka Aho
Posts: 5238
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:46 am
Location: Espoo, Finland

Re: Red hair in Finland

Post by Jukka Aho » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:10 am

Rob’s Canadian... you know those guys riding horses in their red jackets? (Theirs, not those of the horses!)

My Google skills failed me and I couldn’t source any hard facts or confirmed statistics on Finnish redheads. But here’s an earlier discussion about redheads in Finland:
The comment about Kela (aka “The Social Insurance Institution of Finland”, but originally Kansaneläkelaitos, which means, literally, “The Folk Pension Institution”) probably refers to the (empirically assessed?) percentage of (fake?) red-haired ladies working there.
znark


Post Reply