Red hair in Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Rob A.

Re: Red hair in Finland

Post by Rob A. » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:55 am

I did find this link about redhead percentages...though even the author does not pretend it is "scientific"... To me, though, it kind of looks "intuitively" reasonable...though I suppose that can be a bit of a risky way to approach these things ... :wink:

http://www.eupedia.com/forum/showthread ... by-country

The maps deal with the "European" part of the world...from this it suggests 3 to 5% for Finland... Is that an "intuitively" reasonable estimate?..I don't know...maybe the natives can answer that... :D

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:29 am

Rob A. wrote:The maps deal with the "European" part of the world...from this it suggests 3 to 5% for Finland... Is that an "intuitively" reasonable estimate?..I don't know...maybe the natives can answer that... :D
My personal, conservative estimate is lower, maybe in the 1% to 2% range. But it’s hard to say with any certainty.
znark

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:14 am

Rob A. wrote:And, strangely, to me anyway, red hair in Russia and some parts of eastern Europe seems to be associated with Jewishness...
I thought it was a red heifer and not red hare...
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Rob A.

Post by Rob A. » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:58 am

Pursuivant wrote:
Rob A. wrote:And, strangely, to me anyway, red hair in Russia and some parts of eastern Europe seems to be associated with Jewishness...
I thought it was a red heifer and not red hare...
Interesting, Hank...I hadn't been aware the "Red Heifer" was that signficant.....though it seems all religions somehow, and in someway, manage to get around to worshipping or sacrificing cows... even the first letter of the alphabet...in many languages...is a stylized symbol representing a cow's, or ox's, head...originating with the Sumerians I think...the Latin "A" is the ox's head standing on its horns ... :wink:

Apparently the red cow is so rare...[that surprises me...I suppose Herefords are not red enough]... that very few have actually ever been sacrificed. Apparently this ritual is a prime example of what is called call a "Chok", which is a divine law that does not appear to be rational or logical....

Hmmm...I guess there is no hope for me...when I encounter something irrational or illogical, I think the correct response is to stop doing it, not view it as "divine".... :lol:

And I suppose it's just another example why debating religious issues is really a waste of time ... :wink:

ajdias

Post by ajdias » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:59 pm

Jukka Aho wrote:The comment about Kela (aka “The Social Insurance Institution of Finland”, but originally Kansaneläkelaitos, which means, literally, “The Folk Pension Institution”) probably refers to the (empirically assessed?) percentage of (fake?) red-haired ladies working there.
Yes, whenever I tease a red-haired chick with Kela they always get the joke... Unlike Jukka, I can't really tell if the ones working at Kela are fake or not :wink:

ajdias

Post by ajdias » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:41 am

Jukka Aho wrote:
Rob A. wrote:The maps deal with the "European" part of the world...from this it suggests 3 to 5% for Finland... Is that an "intuitively" reasonable estimate?..I don't know...maybe the natives can answer that... :D
My personal, conservative estimate is lower, maybe in the 1% to 2% range. But it’s hard to say with any certainty.
Was today at Heureka. According to people who created their "Are you unique" quiz, 1 out of 120 finns is naturally red haired. So, not that common.

vagrant

Post by vagrant » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:48 pm

Jukka Aho wrote:

I have seen another "blondness" map which I believe more accurate

In Russia, actually, red hair associated with finnic people (and not Jewish = dark people with curved hair) , like veps or karelians, for example....Most of them tend to be quite beautifull :oops:, I couldn't agree more

Rodwen

Post by Rodwen » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:07 pm

I got quiet a lot of attention when I had red hair.

..not as much as when I had blonde hair tho.

Oombongo

Post by Oombongo » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:49 am

gingers are hawt

Image Image