Residency Permit????

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Rodwen

Re: Residency Permit????

Post by Rodwen » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:19 pm

I live with my aussie husband in South Finland. We went through the whole process, marriage in Finland etc, and applied for a residence permit on family ties 3 weeks ago.
Write me a pm if you have any questions. :)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Kutittaa

Post by Kutittaa » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:37 pm

I also want to mention that I jumped on the Ahvenanmaa bandwagon. I married a Finnish-Swedish woman as well. Åland is one of the most amazing places in Finland and so beautiful but I have only spent a month there. As others have told you, regardless of 99.9% of the population there speaking Swedish and what-not they are under Finnish rule/law/whatever.

Seeing as you only left yourself with 6 days left if you want to come back within the 6 months you will either have to wait the 6 months (like my wife and I did) which sucks, it really does but it's not really that bad and it gives you a lot of time to plan ahead which trust me is really important.

Or you could follow advice already given in the thread here. People from Ahvenanmaa really are lovely people.. I felt a lot more welcome there as a foreigner than anywhere else so far in Finland.
Sial wrote:PS: As Aland is not very crowded, processing of your permit will be fast. It wont take a long time.
In regards to this I want to point out that it might not be true.. if the application goes through Migri in Helsinki it could take just as long as any other application. There are tons of factors that have to be considered on applications.
I̶f I can find any way to insult someone, believe me I will.

Rip

Post by Rip » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:09 pm

Kutittaa wrote: In regards to this I want to point out that it might not be true.. if the application goes through Migri in Helsinki it could take just as long as any other application.
Which I would expect to be more likely when the application is in the other grounds (= "no generally accepted reason, but would you please consider me anyway") category.

Sial

Post by Sial » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:15 pm

In regards to this I want to point out that it might not be true.. if the application goes through Migri in Helsinki it could take just as long as any other application. There are tons of factors that have to be considered on applications.
I dont know how things proceed in Aland, but as far as I know, if they submit application to local police then it will be processed by police. And ya it is true, if application will go through Migri then for sure it will take time. It will be same like applying from abroad, as those applications also processed by Migri.

Rip

Post by Rip » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:01 pm

Sial wrote: I dont know how things proceed in Aland, but as far as I know, if they submit application to local police then it will be processed by police.
Yes, but the police can also transfer individual cases to Migri, presumably the more complicated ones and perhaps those which weren't really supposed to be applied in Finland in the first place.

Sial

Post by Sial » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:16 pm

Yes, but the police can also transfer individual cases to Migri, presumably the more complicated ones and perhaps those which weren't really supposed to be applied in Finland in the first place.
Thanks. That information is new to me. can you please mention which cases are not supposed to applied from finland, ? generally

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:16 pm

Sial wrote:
Thanks. That information is new to me. can you please mention which cases are not supposed to applied from finland, ? generally
Application procedure

2. How do I apply for a first residence permit for Finland?

As a rule, you submit your application for a first residence permit before entering Finland to a Finnish diplomatic mission in your home country or in a country in which you reside legally. If your home country or country of residence has no Finnish diplomatic mission, you can apply for the permit at the nearest Finnish diplomatic mission abroad.
http://213.138.145.18/netcomm/content.a ... anguage=EN
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Rip

Post by Rip » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:47 pm

Sial wrote:
Basically every other situation for applying where you apply for the first permit except the family members of Finnish citizens, those that qualify under the EU rules (in which case it is not really residence permit they would be applying), those having the long term EU residence permit, asylum seekers, or from Aliens Act section 49
Issue of first fixed-term residence permits to
aliens who have entered the country without
residence permits
(1) An alien who has entered the country
without a residence permit is issued with a
temporary or continuous residence permit in
Finland if the requirements for issuing such a
residence permit at a Finnish diplomatic or
consular mission abroad are met, and if:
1)the alien or at least one of his or her
parents or grandparents is or has been a
Finnish citizen by birth;
2) the alien has already, before entering
Finland, lived together with his or her
married spouse who lives in Finland, or has
continuously lived together for at least two
years in the same household in a marriagelike
relationship with a person who lives in
Finland;

3) refusing a residence permit for an
employed or self-employed person applied
for in Finland would be unfounded from the
alien’s or employer’s point of view;
4) the alien has before entering Finland
resided in another Member State for the
purposes of carrying out scientific research
referred to in the Directive on researchers,
and applies for a residence permit in Finland
for the same purpose or is a family member
of such a person;
or
5) refusing a residence permit would be
manifestly unreasonable.
I marked with bold the cases where validity of the claim is rather straightforward to see. Most of those doing related question on this board seem to hope they would qualify under the 5th item on the list.

Leejay79

Post by Leejay79 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:26 am

Thanks very much for your advice....the amount of feedback i have had on this has been amazing:) How long have u been o/s now? :D
Kutittaa wrote:I also want to mention that I jumped on the Ahvenanmaa bandwagon. I married a Finnish-Swedish woman as well. Åland is one of the most amazing places in Finland and so beautiful but I have only spent a month there. As others have told you, regardless of 99.9% of the population there speaking Swedish and what-not they are under Finnish rule/law/whatever.

Seeing as you only left yourself with 6 days left if you want to come back within the 6 months you will either have to wait the 6 months (like my wife and I did) which sucks, it really does but it's not really that bad and it gives you a lot of time to plan ahead which trust me is really important.

Or you could follow advice already given in the thread here. People from Ahvenanmaa really are lovely people.. I felt a lot more welcome there as a foreigner than anywhere else so far in Finland.
Sial wrote:PS: As Aland is not very crowded, processing of your permit will be fast. It wont take a long time.

Leejay79

Post by Leejay79 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:31 am

Thankyou guys all this information has been quite helpful.....I cant thankyou all enough :D
Havent done anything yet but its helping me more in knowing what to do :thumbsup:
Aussie salutes to u all (raises a beer)
cheers :D

Kutittaa

Post by Kutittaa » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:25 pm

Leejay79 wrote:Thanks very much for your advice....the amount of feedback i have had on this has been amazing:) How long have u been o/s now? :D
Me?

Well I've been here about 4 weeks under a year. So yeah, quite some time. I'm starting to miss my home country and my relatives but I'll be able to go and see them sometime next year when and if this second permit clears.

It's great to hear of someone else's fondness for Åland though :) not to say that the rest of Finland isn't amazing, I personally really love Åland :D
Good luck with your application, don't cross your fingers because it can take a long time. I personally don't know what Migri/Police's policy is on how they treat the 'Other grounds for immigration' category or whether it is seen as a 'lower priority' group or not. Hopefully you'll get it processed soon enough, though like I said if the Police hand the application to Migri then it might take a hell of a long time to get a result.

In the end, as I said before waiting 6 months gives you time to plan, that trust me you REALLY need to plan such a life change. I can't stress this enough. You might miss your partner a lot, I know I did. But distance does make the heart grow fonder and you will be twice as likely to study up and have a stronger edge on coming into Finland if you use the time that you spend in your home country, to prepare for your move.
I̶f I can find any way to insult someone, believe me I will.