Computers...

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Anttinewby

Computers...

Post by Anttinewby » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:58 pm

Hi there: just a quickie from a techno-eejit... do computers bought in the UK / Ireland work in Finland? And how about vice-versa? Shall I bring my PC with me or not!?!?! Thanks :P

Computers...

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

luddite

Post by luddite » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:02 pm

Yep the plugs are different though, you'll need an adapter 3 pin to 2 and/or vice-versa

JasonS

Post by JasonS » Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:14 pm

Alternatively pick up a couple of two pin power leads when you get here.
½Image½Image

Anttinewby

Post by Anttinewby » Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:54 pm

Great - thanks for that advice. Do you thi kit is a fire-hazard to have the plugs in an adaptor for long stretches - or are they safer 'these days'?

Sara

Post by Sara » Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:06 pm

I bought my CD/radio/tape thing over with me, its on a adapter and its on all the time. Still fine after 4 years :D

Anttinewby

Post by Anttinewby » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:22 pm

Ha - that's actually related to why I asked in the first place... when I first came to FIN in 1999, I asked the wee spotty guy in Dixons, Edinburgh, if I could rake my CD player over with me, using an adaptor etc. He said that as the voltage was different, the radio would be OK but CDs and tapes would be too fast / too slow. Now I know he was (i) lying for a laugh or (ii) seriously undertrained (I suspect the latter).

Thanks! Good news as we only bought this thing about four months ago.

ICanClimbThat

Post by ICanClimbThat » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:31 pm

My bigger worry for computers, Is how closely are they inspected for say Mp3's and not perfectly legal software??

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:15 pm

My laptop and I have been back and forth across the Russian and Estonian borders more often than something over very often.

I have been stopped with monotonous regularity at the port in Helsinki but nobody has ever had the slightest interest in Larry the Laptop and his cargo of MP3s, software and pr0n.

Anyway, just how is Mr Customs Guy going to know the source of stuff on your hard drive.

If you are paranoid, don't bring the orginal cds for the software, if pirated, copy onto ordinary cds.

When bringing back software and musinc from Russia I always disgarded the jewel cases ans packed the sleeve notes seperately to the discs. Never had a problem even though stopped a couple of times.

ICanClimbThat

Post by ICanClimbThat » Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:03 am

I wonder if the customs agents are as agreeable with trans-atlantic shipments of personal effects.

luddite

Post by luddite » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:33 am

Why dont you encrypt all your installers and put them on CD's and remove any such software from the computer? There's a lot of free cryptography software available online.

Try this and this

PS be careful in the USA. The new "Patriot Act" means they can search your ass if you mutter the word cryptography ;-)

Mook

Post by Mook » Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:55 am

ICanClimbThat wrote:I wonder if the customs agents are as agreeable with trans-atlantic shipments of personal effects.
Well, having dodgy copies of software, MP3s is a civil rather than criminal offence, so it's not the customs agent's problem. (In Finland there was/is a limit of about 10 pirate CDs that one can in from Estonia. Presumably this is to stop people selling them)

Another thing about MP3s is that fair use copies of CDs are legal here... you can take them out of the library and make "backups".

For the really paranoid getting stuff shipped seperately, you could always take out your hard disk. (Might stop it getting bashed on the way)

-Michael
---
Image http://blog.enogastronomist.com | http://blog.enogastronomisti.com

ICanClimbThat

Post by ICanClimbThat » Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:47 pm

I think I will just pack my hard drives in my luggage when I go. Probably the safest way to transport them anyways. With my luck they will end up next to the planes power supply though....and POOF bye bye data.

stig

Post by stig » Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:41 pm

Did you know....

That in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, asides from having huge fat pipes to transfer data between countries, the production team also bought *loads* of iPods as these were "the safest way of ensuring data was not damaged in transit".

If EVER there was an example of an IT department taking the piss that is it.
"Every sperm is sacred, every sperm is gooood.........."
- Phil. 17th June 2004

ICanClimbThat

Post by ICanClimbThat » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:09 pm

That is ridiculous. A good way to get a production company to buy everyone Ipods though :)

stig

Post by stig » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:34 pm

ICanClimbThat wrote:That is ridiculous. A good way to get a production company to buy everyone Ipods though :)
I know... It was on one of the documentaries that came with the extended version DVD... the chief tech was talking about it with a look of "I know alot of you know exactly what we did here... but hey... do you blame us?" on his face...

And to be fair... I don't, if I could get away with it I sure would :)
"Every sperm is sacred, every sperm is gooood.........."
- Phil. 17th June 2004