License Plate ideas....

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Wilks

License Plate ideas....

Post by Wilks » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:07 am

Hi Folks!

Anyone have any funny ideas for a 'personalized' license plate on a Alaska-registered van which is currently living in Europe? Right now, its being watched by friends in Nurnberg, Germany, but I'll be returning to Finland in September...

In the meantime...the tags are expiring in a couple months, so I decided to change the plates to something Finnish.

The rules for AK plates?
It must be a maximum of six characters (including spaces).
Only numbers and/or 'english' letters.
Cannot be three letters followed by three numbers.

The six character rule is a real bitch - as Finns seem to thrive on long words....but creative abbreviation is common here. (ie 2HOT4U, WBMSTR (webmaster), ASSMAN (from a Seinfeld episode) etc...)

For example I could select something like SUOMI. I kind of like this one, because I think it would be pretty ironic for a foreigner to have that plate...

Could be nice and friendly and take something like TERVE...

Could suck up to corporate interests and try NOKIA (even though I hate cell phones...) - or make friends with Oulu hockey fans and use KARPAT....

Or could I could takes something like KAUNIS...though it would be a sadly inaccurate description of the driver ;)

Also considering JUOPPO - again, a nice irony there - should be comforting for Finnish motorists - and a bit more accurate...

I suppose I could go for 'shock value' and use V1TTU or PRKELE - while 'dirty words' are forbidden on state plates, I don't think we have many Finnish-speaking censors at the Dept. of Motor Vehicles. I'm sure the Finnish AKE/Tulli bureaucrats would love this. (at least until I eventually have to get 'boring' Finnish plates...I suppose changing the plates may have the effect of extending that deadline as well...as they have not yet asked for a VIN#)

Anyway, I'm still thinking about this, but I figured it would be fun to see what some native Finns think....
-------------------

Oh, some background for anyone who is interested....

Its been awhile since I've posted here (oh, about six months or so...)
Am a 20-something Civil Engineer, lived my whole life in Alaska so am having an adventure in Finland! Installed about $4000 worth of parts (including a brand new 350...) in one of my old G20 Chevy Vans and drove it to New Jersey, shipped it to Amsterdam (cost: $1035) and wound up in Finland.

Spent about five months in Finland so far studying Finnish and hunting for work, from January to May. Actually received a summer job offer in Oulu, (construction engineering) but elected to work in Fairbanks, Alaska this summer. The differences in take-home pay more than made up for the cost of the flight... (after FIN taxes + reduced wages + restricted work hours...)

Did a lot of travelling too, a Finnish buddy and I spent three weeks driving to Italy over easter holiday via the Baltics. Italy, especially Rome, was amazing, though expensive. The German autobahns were a blast (though getting passed by BMWs going 200+ km/hr takes some getting used to...) Norway is a gorgeous country which I visited several times, and have experienced a Finnish booze-cruise while visiting Ahvenanmaa. (Though it seems that Tallinn is the most popular destination these days...the supermarket near the dock is like a warehouse of liquor - with food worked in between the stacks of long drinks and beer.

Other than suffering a break-in while in Bratislava and getting pulled over on a regular basis for having US plates in Germany - I've had no problems...
And made plenty of Finnish friends on Saturday nights (even set a record, packing 14 drunken Finns and exchange students into the van for the drive back to the University. Good thing I didn't get caught, as the seat-belt fine could have been pretty scary....)

Anyway, while I'm home I'm taking care of a few odds and ends, purchasing some spare parts and tools, including extending my Visa until 2006...!

Later...

Nate Wilke

#1 Reason to be a Goalie:

Slash all you want; they send someone else to the box!

License Plate ideas....

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Mai

Post by Mai » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:15 am

How about ULKKIS , that's a friendly slangworld for foreigner. Or HASSU would be nice, i would take it myself. Or IHANA. Or JUNTTI (for person with lot of self irony). 8)

daive

Re: License Plate ideas....

Post by daive » Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:43 am

Wilks wrote:It must be a maximum of six characters (including spaces).
Only numbers and/or 'english' letters.
Cannot be three letters followed by three numbers.
:?: I thought Finnish licence plates had to be 3 letters and 3 numbers only?

I wanna buy NEPPIS!

Wilks

Post by Wilks » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:10 am

I think that is a requirement for Finnish plates, likely all European plates.
These are US plates, perhaps I wasn't clear....

not even sure what 'neppis' is - but thats why I'm asking for a Finnish-speaking perspective... :!:

In US, each state has its own rules - but all of the states allow you to choose your own plate 'number', usually for about 20-30 dollars.
Larger states like California have seven characters, states with small populations only need six.

So it becomes kind of a game - people do their best to come up with a clever word or phrase to describe themselves or their car. Shorthand is popular. QTGIRL, 2RUDE, BCKOFF, MSTRB8, whatever.

Some words are pretty popular, but plates must be unique within the state.
Words like 'ALASKA' 'IMCOLD' 'BRRRRR' 'FISHON' were taken long ago.

I personally like 'NOSHOW' - its not taken, but I'm not looking for a Finnish word right now....

Offensive words are forbidden - but they occasionally slip through if they are cleverly disguised -
I've even heard of people taking what seems like an innocent set of letters and numbers - but in the rear-view mirror they spell something rude. Then the state takes the plate back ;)

Kind of fun to try to figure out some of them, gives you something to do during red lights.

In fact, years ago there was even a game show on TV called 'Bumper Stumpers' where contestants were shown license plates and they attempt to decipher the phrase.

You know something? I just realized that they didn't have bumper stickers in Europe??? What is the deal with that? Other than 'TIR' or 'FIN' I can't seem to remember any....perhaps I just wasn't looking very hard?

NATE
Last edited by Wilks on Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
#1 Reason to be a Goalie:

Slash all you want; they send someone else to the box!

Sara

Post by Sara » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:13 am

nahhh bumper stickies are tacky :wink:

deojuvame

Post by deojuvame » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:17 am

Wilks wrote: You know something? I just realized that they didn't have bumper stickers in Europe??? What is the deal with that? Other than 'TIR' or 'FIN' I can't seem to remember any....perhaps I just wasn't looking very hard?
I don't think you were looking very hard. I've seen a lot. One that I remember off the top of my head is a "Got milk?" joke one that said "Got Jorma?"

Har... ?

Phil

Post by Phil » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:29 pm

KIPPIS (cheers)

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:38 pm

Got to be 3 numbers then three letters...or vice versa

511STI = Sisti..= nice and tidy! (unlike a certain 1994 VW Golf!)
Or.
OGG115 = Oggiis

daive

Post by daive » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:04 pm

PeterF wrote:Got to be 3 numbers then three letters...or vice versa

511STI = Sisti..= nice and tidy! (unlike a certain 1994 VW Golf!)
Or.
OGG115 = Oggiis
... 511STI is the correct spelling for SIISTI!!

Peter, have you seen a car with numbers first in Finland? I certainly never have, even the personalised ones!!

I did some checking and you can have up to 3 letters and then three numbers, but you could have 2letters and 1 number if it is available or combinations as long as you don't exceed 3 letters and 3 numbers!

Sara

Post by Sara » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:44 pm

When I was little my parents had the plate FAG :?

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:38 pm

Sara wrote:When I was little my parents had the plate FAG :?
That's never been a valid UK plate, or do you mean it included FAG in it?

Sara

Post by Sara » Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:47 pm

it was FAG and then some number.

daive

Post by daive » Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:59 pm

These Finnish licenceplates are still available if anyone wants them...

VIT-2
HOM-0
FAG-15

:twisted:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:37 pm

The idea of 'fun' in Finland is somewhat restricted.
http://www.kilvet.com/

go to => kuvat
Last edited by Hank W. on Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

daive

Post by daive » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:29 pm

Hank W. wrote:The idea of 'fun' in Finland is somewhat restricted.
http://www.kilvet.com/galleria.cgi?
I tried doing that already Hank, it don't let ya direct link, the cheeky monkeys!