Wa are also moving in November

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:17 pm

I agree, November is OK. I much prefer it to March/April. Lets's face it everywhere in Europe is cloudy, dark and grey in November. But Finns start putting up Xmas decorations very early, especially fairylights - so if there is a little snow, everywhere starts to look festive and sort of cosy. The whole of December is partytime (pikkujoulu, St.Lucia, Independence Day, Christmas) so there is lots happening in town.

March and April are grim. Cold and monotone. The first flowers don't really appear until mid- April (in a good year). Elsewhere in Europe spring has arrived. That's when I really suffer. And there are no school hols at Easter so we can't even escape for a few days.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:24 pm

penelope wrote: March and April are grim. .
But there are lots of birthday parties in March/April..
Why...? :shock:
It is nine months after Mid Summer parties etc... :roll:

Lilianne

Post by Lilianne » Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:17 pm

My friend was once asked why he was wearing a scarf in the winter. It was a question he believed to be a joke and at the end the (Chinese) exchange student swore he wasn't joking. He had never understood the connection between a sore throat and a scarf in the winter.

So will need to either bring / decide to get here:

Basically you'll survive a Helsinki winter with your normal, water proof gear plus the smaller essentials such as woollen things such as a scarf, mittens/gloves, a winter hat 'pipo' and long underwear.

Hey, also good shoes like almost everyone has already said. It'll be slippery with the iced streets covered with water / snow / mushy stuff nevertheless the month of winter (Should I add spring or autumn there too?)

Like someone already mentioned, a coat too big + IF it gets really cold something thicker to wear inside it like a woollen jumper will do fine.

... Whoever decides about the indoor temperatures during winter should be hanged! There's nothing more annoying than puffing away packed with all the outdoor clothing and then trying to remove some of it as quickly as even thinking of entering a building.

scoobymcdoo

Post by scoobymcdoo » Fri Jul 16, 2004 6:55 pm

Thank you all for the replies...lots to think about.

We have to move in November as I have to work up until October half term (strange teaching notice periods). Looking forward to it. I am now going to spend the next 6 weeks of my summer holiday trying to learn my 'get by in finnish' tape and book!

Hannah