Finding a Job in Finland - version 2

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
jaysoniabc

Re: Finding a Job in Finland - version 2

Post by jaysoniabc » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:44 pm

Hi i am a jewellery production supervisor and have work experience in India and in United Arab Emirates for at least 15 years. Can i find a suitable job in Finland???

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:35 pm

Well the jewellery business is *extremely* small. So the jobs are for those people who know somebody who know somebody - so to find a job you need connections and a good network
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

ravindran

Post by ravindran » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:10 pm

''Hi'I am from Srilanka.I am an asylam seeker living in Finland for 7-months,and have resident permit visa.
Actually, I am a tailor and also I do designing for garments.But I don't have any certificate about my profession.

Now, I am in Finnish language course for more then 2-months .
Basically,I am a quick learner of skilled and art oriented works.(I know getting job in Finland is hard.)

I WANT TO KNOW WHAT KIND OF VOCATIONAL course WILL LEAD ME TO GET A JOB for me.

I AM READY TO STUDY ANY COURSE,BUT PREFER SHORT PERIOD.WHAT IS THE MOST WANTED SKILLED WORK IN FINLAND?

OR ,PLEASE,LET ME KNOW WHERE I CAN GET THE DETAILS?''
Last edited by ravindran on Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:20 pm

ravindran wrote: Actually, I am a tailor and also I do designing for garments.
Well then it might be an idea to maybe get into the business, apply to the polytechnic and/or seek out all the tailors in Finland and see if you can get an apprenticeship. Again a very small niche profession you need to be able to network your way to the top.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

jasiak78

Post by jasiak78 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:58 am

Hello ,
Can somebody help me , I am a massage therapist , and i will tarvel to finland soon so i am looking for work .
Thanks

sophiamoniquesm

Re:

Post by sophiamoniquesm » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:05 am

managesoft wrote:
Applying for a job in Finland from abroad can be a disadvantage, especially if you don’t have a work permit. If you’re applying for some high-level position, maybe they’ll fly you over for an interview but that’s rare. If you’re not already here in Finland, your prospective employer is not going to want to wait for you to arrive for an interview. So be sure to tell them exactly when you’re arriving in Finland. If you’re about to move to Finland and haven’t gotten interviews yet, don’t be discouraged, you’ll have a much easier time finding something once you’re here.
This is a bit negative, I've had 2 contract jobs in Finland and now a permi job here, all of them applied for from outside of Finland, and in all cases I have been flown over for interviews,
Also know of at least 3 others who have got jobs applied for from abroad.
Maybe you are basing this on your experience of Nokia? an international company with a uniquely Finnish way of doing business!
I think a working permit is always required once you applied for a job abroad. No working permit no job, unless you are a TNT

Lizu

Post by Lizu » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:39 am

Annoy the hell out of them... To be honest, it is the only way to get job now a days. One good way i have found useful is to actually visit that place you want to ask job from. If you call them and speak english, it will be something like this:"... Ehh.. ohh.. Me have chosen person to work yesterday... Bye bye" and still next week you see that same ad on mol- or monster site..
If you send e-mail, 99,9% chance that they would reply (and even if they do it's 99,9% chance that it is invitation to job interview...)

And other thing that's really annoying is in that interview situation. I don't know if this is something that is happening to someone else too, but the guestions go usually just like this: Language, gonna have kids soon or not (if you're female) and job experience. In every interview i have been in, these were the three guestions that i was asked and then they said: "Ok, we will be in contact with you later..." and of course everyone knows what that actually means...

One good choise is to take a part in Varamiespalvelu or someother like that. I got a good job through there and I have been working in that same place for one year now... Well it's better than nothing. I have friends that has actually found permanent job through varamiespalvelu ^^

TERI

Post by TERI » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:04 pm

Palkka määräytyy ao. KVTES:n mukaan.
Instead of a number you see this sentence a lot. Where can I get the actual/approximate numbers?

onkko

Post by onkko » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:25 pm

TERI wrote:
Palkka määräytyy ao. KVTES:n mukaan.
Instead of a number you see this sentence a lot. Where can I get the actual/approximate numbers?
KVTES 2007-2009 2 544 Kt, 319 pages
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

dspsousa

Post by dspsousa » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:45 pm

In this site you can have some of the job search sites translated to english. It's an automatic translation so not perfect, but we try to make it better :)
http://dailyfinland.com/

Even is the job is not meant for someone non-finnish speaker you can always try to apply, if you think you could do the job...

voda

Post by voda » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:55 pm

I'm looking for work on farm!
help me do it! :roll:

Halldor K

Post by Halldor K » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:24 am

Just wanted to add if it hasn't already.

Using the translation offered by google(free) can help a lot.
It is not perfect but it will in many cases translate the entire webpage but will not work on all pages tho(www.mol.fi for instance i have to copy/paste the info on each page into the translation box...but it beats looking at it and not understanding anything!

http://translate.google.com/#

regards
Halldor K
I'm Icelandic...what's your excuse?

s2k9

Post by s2k9 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:50 pm

hi guys mmmmm...
i read this article , ii hve a question,lol i am a hacker can i have a job in finland

magenta22

Post by magenta22 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:45 pm

Halldor K wrote:Just wanted to add if it hasn't already.

Using the translation offered by google(free) can help a lot.
It is not perfect but it will in many cases translate the entire webpage but will not work on all pages tho(http://www.mol.fi for instance i have to copy/paste the info on each page into the translation box...but it beats looking at it and not understanding anything!

http://translate.google.com/#

regards
Halldor K
The only thing that I have found with MOL is that the job titles are in English but the job description is in Finnish.

The perfect job would be 4 days in an office or something like that and then a day out in college to continue learning the language - not come across this yet though :-D

anand

Post by anand » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:35 pm

Phil wrote: No Experience

Looking for some sort of manual labor? Sadly, you’ll find that even restaurants looking for dishwashers will want someone who speaks Finnish. Before I found my current job, I tried finding dishwashing jobs and was turned down because I didn’t know the language. Contact some temp agencies, they’re open to foreigners and will find you some temporary jobs that may lead to a permanent job.
Can anybody tell me wat are the temporary sites to get the labor job? i don't know finish.i will appreciate the suggestion coz i m looking for some any work in vaasa.