Finding a Job in Finland - version 2

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
rrsuomessa

Re: Finding a Job in Finland - version 2

Post by rrsuomessa » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:48 am

you wrote --- 'For those without a college education or for those with only a bachelor’s degree, you may be disappointed to find that just about everyone (so it seems) has a master’s degree and it’s common to find people who have multiple degrees. So how can this be? Well, a degree is totally free of costs here. In fact, it’s beyond free, you basically get paid, fed, and housed to go to school. Once you enter the work world, those perks are stripped away – so many students remain students for much longer if they had to pay for these things themselves.'

If this is true, please tell me how how??? It sounds far too good, to be entirely true.

RR

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:19 am

yeah, the student handout is less of what you get on the dole - then again you can get into student housing....
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

sinikala

Post by sinikala » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:35 am

Pursuivant wrote:yeah, the student handout is less of what you get on the dole ....
yep, students here still have to take loans to scrape by... and they have to be paid back.

atlanticboy

Post by atlanticboy » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:51 am

hello..
i am a young from morocco..
i want to travel to Finland for studying...
but i like to get a job first..
so i need your help...
for example; where can i get a job!
is there some website for free jobs !
i have enghoth money to move to finland but i need to find a job firs...
and i dont speak finish but i speak frensh and english and arabic
i am waiting for help...
thanks.

interleukin

Post by interleukin » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:26 am

hello..
i am a young from morocco..
i want to travel to Finland for studying...
but i like to get a job first..
To find a job in Finland you need to be in Finland and you need to speak at least some Finnish and to be allowed into Finland you need a job... So I think you don't have a very big chance of coming to Finland other than as a tourist. You can probably come here as a student, but you will need to prepare for never finding a job here, sorry. It sucks, but even the people that are already here and do know some Finnish are struggling to find any jobs.

atlanticboy

Post by atlanticboy » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:47 am

hello again...
i am very upset now because you tell me how deficlte to find a job in Finland..
but i still trying to get a job and move to live in Filnland..
i really like your country so mush...
you must be pround to be finish..
i will visit Finland soon for trynig to have a chance to have a legal way to live in Finland..
and i must started learning some finish...
can i have a finally question !
can i study in vocational schools in finland without have a finish diploma !

onkko

Post by onkko » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:57 am

atlanticboy wrote:hello again...
i am very upset now because you tell me how deficlte to find a job in Finland..
but i still trying to get a job and move to live in Filnland..
i really like your country so mush...
you must be pround to be finish..
i will visit Finland soon for trynig to have a chance to have a legal way to live in Finland..
and i must started learning some finish...
can i have a finally question !
can i study in vocational schools in finland without have a finish diploma !
Be offended then, you cant even write english so youre screwed.
You can study in vocational school if you speak finnish.
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

johnnymac

Post by johnnymac » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:52 am

Okay, here's a question. What if they ask you personal questions? And do they really do background checks?

Tim

Post by Tim » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:56 am

Locating a position for a Non-Finn is challenging, but not impossible and there is very good information here - many good contributions. There will be a bias toward hiring Finnish National over a Non-Finn for many reasons as noted; language is perhaps one of the main reasons. This is no different then in many countries where people are more comfortable conversing in the mother tongue. Thus, research the companies and those that have multinational locations are the best, or second are marketing a product internationally (which most companies in Finland desire to do). Learning Finnish is difficult being the unique language that it is - but not impossible and as noted will take time. I have worked in Japan and prior to going there for the position studied Japanese to little avail - however, once I got off the plane and discovered that almost no one spoke English the pressure was on and I was able to make it there and succeed.
With many Finns speak English actually very well, and attempting to speak Finnish can be a bit frustrating in that they will prefer to converse in English and practicing/using becomes a bit frustrating. Then there is slang (common phenomenon in all cultures and languages) - need to pick up on that as well. That being said - there are classes via the government employment agencies that you should take advantage of, get some of the CD/PC courses (they tend to be too, basic but can be go for practicing). Try to learn your vocabulary for the career or job function you are going after -- if IT - you are in luck mostly English - but, culinary learn many of the food terms, etc. It is an uphill slope to ski but will be very rewarding. However, the most important part of learning Finnish for me - unlike the other languages I have studied is getting the basic cases correct, and learning how to make the sentence. Most European languages it mastering that vocabulary and since there is similarity in grammar and structure it comes naturally - and to a certain extent it is true in Asian languages that a knowledge of a lot of words gets you far - no so for Finnish. You have to figure out the cases and placement in a phrase - it took me a while attempting to see the errors of my ways - and after a number of years I am still working at it.
I found that I was able to get my foot in the door by helping some friends with translations - basically, they need to write a white paper in English and I would proof it for them and end up rewriting it - this led to working with marketing areas that needed to ensure that the English content printed or on the internet made sense (just take a look at many of the English versions of the Finnish web sites - first notices that it is a half to a third as long and really does not make the point. I am not a marketing person, or a copy writer - but, I know who to get my point across in English -- I think the book "Finland the Lone Wolf" was referenced - and that read will further my point. -- So if you are in the food service industry - maybe help them with the English menu and signs, if you have product/technical knowledge help with that etc. -- once you gain access to the job and you can prove yourself in other areas.
I think that one important idea to keep in mind is to be creative - as a Non-Finn you will need to show that you have some asset that they need or could use that the Finns many not have -- use of your mother language is one of those assets - especially to those businesses that will sell internationally or in the tourist trade. This is really no different than any other country you may go to -- I found this approach especial useful while in Japan.
There is hope – Finland is continuing to open up more and more – some sectors more than others – and there has to be an understanding that this is not Briton, US, Canada, etc – there is a different mindset to life and work – working here one has to accept the taxes, the lower pay scales, etc. - these are the trade-offs (and there are always trade-offs) - there is a quality of life that is unique – and if that is for you – have P2 (squared) = perseverance to the second power –

SunnyBunny

Post by SunnyBunny » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:15 am

Hello Phil, Thank you for a great article.
and everyone in the rest of the thread, it has been most educational.

I have read what everyone had said, I would tend to agree to most of the things said
even though I've not lived in Finland before, my husband is a Finn, and I have visited often.

I am facing a problem not been discussed here....
I work in Finance (Stock trader), but my husband wants to return to his family farm in a few years time
which is near Jyvaskyla...
I know it would be difficult to find Finance job in Helsinki, in Jyvaskyla, I'm expecting the chance to be virtually none.
But I have invested time and energy on my career, seems a shame to give it up in early 30s where I'm still climbing up.

I am planning on studying Finnish in my free time, and hopefully I will be able to speak enough Finnish to get by daily life.
I also speak Native level Japanese and Chinese, plus very fluent English....
Even if I don't find jobs in Finance, I would still like to work.
and I am confident I will have contributions to make to whoever employs me.
Does anyone who already live in Finland (or even better, work in Finance) have any suggestions for me?
I am aware that I will have to take a drastic pay cut, and possibly starting a new career from the bottom.
I would very much appreciate any comments or ideas! :thumbsup: :beer_yum:

obakesan

Re:

Post by obakesan » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:27 am

Phil

I agree this is a great article. If I can I'll try to source some of the stats recommended by Lawrence
Phil wrote: You'll just scare some Finns if you cold call them up and start blabbing English. E-mails & SMS are the way to go IMO.
well my experience is that if you use email you need to be like a dandelion and send out seeds with no expectation of any reply. Noone answers 99% of the time (even when dealing in academic circles).

rinso

Post by rinso » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:30 pm

Mol and monster are indeed the most relevant sites. There is not much else of any importance.
Since i am not Finnish, it is pretty hard for me to get a job here.
Yes that is the main problem for foreigners. Very little you can do about it. Just keep trying.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:01 am

if you cannot understand the jobsites imagine going to china without understanding the jobsites... same s* different package... you gwei-lo!
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

my nick

Post by my nick » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:06 pm

double post..
Last edited by my nick on Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

my nick

Post by my nick » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:28 pm

Phil wrote: I know foreigners with their doctoral degree that have been unemployed for months and I know people without any college experience who have had jobs for years. But nonetheless, your degree will heavily boost your stock as a potential employee.
Overqualified – Dumbing down your resume

If you’re overqualified for a particular job, that’s even worse than being UNDER qualified for the job.
.......................................................................................................................

So, for all you highly skilled people, I strongly recommend that you have at least two different resumes.
this is my experience too. does anyone have an idea how to "hide" my doctoral degree ?