Do i need to take my anti-depressents to Finland?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
funkipig

Post by funkipig » Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:42 am

From what i have read here on this site its not looking a realistic proposition for me to move permenently to FInland especially as im already taking anti-depressants!
Richard

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Sara

Post by Sara » Sat Jul 26, 2003 11:01 am

Well I think any of us would be kidding ourselves if we said everything had been an easy ride here, but I think thats proberly the same in any country.

See what you think after youve been for your holiday.
:)

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:22 pm

You don't have to be totally mad to live here, but it helps...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Sat Jul 26, 2003 5:23 pm

Hank W. wrote:You don't have to be totally mad to live here, but it helps...

Especially in northern Finland. You have to be nuts to live here. Normal people don't survive :lol:
Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.

Daibhead

Post by Daibhead » Sun Jul 27, 2003 2:06 pm

Well ive just moved 2 finland, hoping to get a job, im kinda wondering if i did the right thing.....hmmm :?

nehia_qom

Post by nehia_qom » Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:13 pm

Daibhead wrote:Well ive just moved 2 finland, hoping to get a job, im kinda wondering if i did the right thing.....hmmm :?
How long have you been here?
I think that we have all gone through that. In fact I go through it at least once a week. Don't give up yet.

Jessica

When choosing between two evils, always choose the one you haven't tried yet.
- Mae West

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:24 pm

I've been in Finland now for a year. Had the same problems with finding a job and the whole thing with the Finnish people's attitude, but I haven't regret coming here (yet).

I think it's a lot up to your own attitude and point of view whether you need anti-depressants or not.
Some people say it's especially the winters that drive you nuts, but I just LOVE the winters here.
Not that I'm such a cold freak, but just because I've never seen a real winter.
It might just be that I get sick and tired of it like the native Finns in awhile, but for now I'm enjoying every bit of my stay here. Even if it hasn't been easy. :)

Daibhead

Post by Daibhead » Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:08 pm

Once a week? so ive got that ahead of me eh?

heh well ive been here about 6 weeks now and im having a little mini crisis, the whole "what the hell am i doing here" etc. but maybe this will pass soon and ill move on to my next phase............whatever that may be.............

nehia_qom

Post by nehia_qom » Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:56 pm

OOOPS! Didn't mean to scare you! :oops: It does get better, you just have to be patient. I mean I used to question why I was hear daily :lol: I have only been here 3.5 months so I am not much further along than you are.

Jessica

When choosing between two evils, always choose the one you haven't tried yet.
- Mae West

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:24 am

Daibhead wrote:heh well ive been here about 6 weeks now and im having a little mini crisis, the whole "what the hell am i doing here" etc.
Culture shock, phase one. Phase two comes sooner or later, usually after you think you've adapted.

I am Finnish, and I am dreaming of being afraid a coconut would drop on my head instead of an icicle.

I cannot understand people who move here voluntarily. They must be insane. (This is proven by the fact they talk to strangers and smile on the streets, both symptoms mothers tell their children to warn how to spot "candymen") But Finns are crazy, so I guess it requires a certain level of insanity to survive here - I think that is a part of "guts", "a Finnish man eats iron spikes and shytes chain"...

Next year the passage of winter shall be interesting, as Estonia joins the EU and import restrictions are lifted. Is Finland going to be all drunk 2004?
Cheers, Hank W.

Tom and Jerry

Post by Tom and Jerry » Thu Jul 31, 2003 3:04 pm

Hank W. wrote:I am Finnish, and I am dreaming of being afraid a coconut would drop on my head instead of an icicle.

I cannot understand people who move here voluntarily. They must be insane.

Next year the passage of winter shall be interesting, as Estonia joins the EU and import restrictions are lifted. Is Finland going to be all drunk 2004?
You may ask people for the reasons to move here voluntarily. Perhaps there are good positive reasons.

Jörn Donner wrote it better in his book Uusin maammekirja. He wrote something like:

I can't understand why the Finnish people stay in Finland.

"Juuret maassa.
Mutta miksi olemme täällä juuri nyt. ... Velkaiselle viljelijäperheelle tai yhtä velkaiselle nuorelle perheelle vastaus kysymykseen olisi se, että täällä ollaan koska täältä ei voi muuttaa pois ellei halua paeta velkojaan."

Jörn Donner, Uusin maammekirja, 1992.

Jose

IS it that Bad?

Post by Jose » Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:53 pm

I used to live in Tampere for three years...and I enjoyed every single moment. first as a student and later as a teacher. I think the secrect is to be constantly mooving and having projects.

I just love the winter...

But then again... I knew I could always fly back to sunny Portugal.

After leaving finland, I worked in germany and Italy and dont feel like going back. There is something special about Finland, if for nothing else the culture shock is highly stimulating.

Today, I live in Lisbon, and right now I'm trying to survive the 44ºC.
In October I'm going back to Finland to live.

cheers
Jose

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:00 am

Now I have to test my logical theory of why there are 130 portugese men in Finland and only 20 or so women.

- Portugese women cannot cook.

This is evident from the times of Enriques the Navigator when he ordered Portugese sailors to find spices to hide the disgusting taste of the chopped fish in the cataplana. And so Portugese sailors went to all over the world to escape Portugese cuisine. Yes, Portugese men get an instant culture shock because there are no bales of dried bacalhau in the corner of the supermarket! No bacalhau! This must be paradise! ...until they find out lutfisk exists...

Yes, I have find out the reason now... after all, there are Greek, Italian, Spanish, French restaurants - no Portugese.

So this means the 20 women in Finland have so rich husbands that can afford to eat out. :mrgreen:
Cheers, Hank W.

The Wolverine

Post by The Wolverine » Fri Aug 01, 2003 12:21 pm

........Normal people don't survive
I'm planning to come to Oulu. Do you think I should reconsider??

Sam
"Whatjou doin'?"
"Thinkin'."
"Well, that's never a good sign, is it?"

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Aug 01, 2003 2:30 pm

But you are not normal, you're IEASF.

(note the => :lol: <=)
Cheers, Hank W.