Relocation Information (moving from Canada)

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
lethal

Post by lethal » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:30 am

At the moment I'm preparing to move to Finland from Canada (I live just outside of Hamilton, Ontario), I will be working in Helsinki, and I've been looking at apartments in the Espoo area. Initially I will be moving by myself, but my wife and son (just over a year old) will possibly be moving as well at a later date. At this point I already have all my permits and everything, so now all that's left is getting things packed up and actually moving.

So, I have a few outstanding questions with regards to the best way to proceed. I've read through most of the threads on here looking for answers so I wouldn't need to post a new topic, but I didn't find answers to everything I was curious about.

I guess I'm wondering what I should bother bringing with me vs what I should send over at a later date (and what the customs implications are for each case). In particular, I don't have very much that I was planning on bringing with me initially (clothes, laptop, random other things), but I have quite a lot of computer hardware, dvds, books, etc. that need to come along as well. I was planning on shipping that stuff over at a later date, but some of the hardware is quite expensive, and I don't want to get nailed on the VAT unecessarily. Also, how is the VAT calculated? Is it a fixed rate based off of the insured value of the goods being shipped, or is it calculated in some other way?

I have the option of having my employer pay for a container, but I don't have a lot to move, so this seems pointless. So what would the best approach here be, try to ship over a crate and deal with whatever tax hit is taken on that? bring more expensive hardware with me?

Additionally, I'm also concerned about the voltage changes. I realize I shouldn't have any problems with switching over ATX supplies, but I have a lot of things with fixed supplies. Are voltage adapters and things of that nature easy to obtain there, or should I try and stock up here before the move? Also, is there a good source in the Helsinki area where I can stock up on random AC/DC adapters?

Also, I have a TV now (small, 27" flatscreen) that does PAL/NTSC/SECAM, since most of my dvds and things like that are NTSC I'm curious if it's easy to find TVs over there that will do NTSC as well. If multiformat TVs are hard to come by over there, then I'll try and ship over my existing one, but I'd like to avoid doing that.

I apologize if there are any duplicate questions in here. If these things have been answered before or are in a FAQ somewhere, a link would be appreciated.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Mook

Re: Relocation Information (moving from Canada)

Post by Mook » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:47 am

lethal wrote: Also, I have a TV now (small, 27" flatscreen) that does PAL/NTSC/SECAM, since most of my dvds and things like that are NTSC I'm curious if it's easy to find TVs over there that will do NTSC as well. If multiformat TVs are hard to come by over there, then I'll try and ship over my existing one, but I'd like to avoid doing that.
There was a discussian about this recently. The consensus of opinion was that most (all) dvd players here will handle both NTSC and PAL. Certain makes of VCR will also play NTSC (as well as PAL) videos. Your TV doesn't need to support NTSC as it's probably being fed with RGB, PAL from the VCR/DVD.
---
Image http://blog.enogastronomist.com | http://blog.enogastronomisti.com

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:28 am

Its by far cheaper to get voltage *converters* there than here (after all, why would we need em from 110=>220 , we need 220=>110 if we travel). For your telly troubles (and other) try calling up the
http://www.kolumbus.fi/euro-american.video.service/
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

alloydog

Post by alloydog » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:32 am

if the equipment so multistandard, there may even be a tiny recessed switch somewhere, as with PC power supplies, that allows 200-250VAC operation.

TrishPaakkonen

Post by TrishPaakkonen » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:52 am

When we moved here from the states last August, I shipped thousands of dollars worth of household, etc items, including 3 computers and my husband's electronic equipment.

To this day, I dont understand the taxes involved people talk about. We were charged NOTHING at all to bring our things in. All I had to do was supply my US passport and sign for the whole shipment. (and yes they were well aware of ALL the stuff and it's value since every box had been opened )

Trish

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:20 pm

TrishPaakkonen wrote:
To this day, I dont understand the taxes involved people talk about. We were charged NOTHING at all to bring our things in. All I had to do was supply my US passport and sign for the whole shipment. (and yes they were well aware of ALL the stuff and it's value since every box had been opened )

Trish

When I brought my stuff over, I was told that it's duty-free as long as you bring it within a year after moving to Finland. I didn't pay any taxes on my stuff either.
Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.

SediaAmore

Post by SediaAmore » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:46 pm

hi,
Last edited by SediaAmore on Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lethal

Post by lethal » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:27 pm

That definitely makes things a lot easier. Thanks.

Now I just need to stock up on voltage convertors.

Additionally, what are the internet connections like? I've read in most of the threads here that the two regular options are ADSL and cable, depending on how your building is wired, etc. Are there options for getting something like an E1 run to an apartment? I'm particularly after a stable link with a block of static IPs without any port filtering done by the provider. Any suggestions?

I intend to setup a PBX for VoIP, so link reliability and gauranteed throughput is definitely an issue. Perhaps the 2Mbit cable solution would suffice here, but I would like to avoid any dynamic IP solution if possible, so an E1 would be preferable.

BAT

Post by BAT » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:12 pm

Hi lethal

I'm writing to you from Hamilton, ON :) (Am home visiting my family.) I'm also from the same region as you but live in Finland now. Just wanted to say "Welcome!".

Good luck with the move, and I hope to meet you one day, perhaps at one of the . do's.

It would also be useful for you to join CLIF (Canadians Living in Finland) at Yahoo! Groups - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/clif/

Mook

Post by Mook » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:56 pm

lethal wrote:That definitely makes things a lot easier. Thanks.

Additionally, what are the internet connections like? I've read in most of the threads here that the two regular options are ADSL and cable, depending on how your building is wired, etc. Are there options for getting something like an E1 run to an apartment? I'm particularly after a stable link with a block of static IPs without any port filtering done by the provider. Any suggestions?

I intend to setup a PBX for VoIP, so link reliability and gauranteed throughput is definitely an issue. Perhaps the 2Mbit cable solution would suffice here, but I would like to avoid any dynamic IP solution if possible, so an E1 would be preferable.
You can get static IP addresses with ADSL. Also, I don't believe that the providers do any port filtering (well Elisa doesn't). Incidently, my company has 2Mbit with 30 odd static IPs so something large is possible.

But doesn't ADSL have quite big delays, so isn't that good for VOIP.
---
Image http://blog.enogastronomist.com | http://blog.enogastronomisti.com

lethal

Post by lethal » Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:32 am

A 2Mbit link whether it be ADSL or not would suffice for my needs as long as it's reliable and available with a block of static IPs. The latency issue is a problem, but that can be worked around a bit. If going the DSL route, I would at least prefer SDSL or something similar. Is this available in the 2Mbit range?

An E1 still seems like the best solution, and is what I would be the most interested in. Who would be the telco to talk to about getting one run in the Espoo area? Has anyone had any experience with this? In particular, where would the CSU/DSU be stashed? I've dealt with a T1 run to a house before, but never to an apartment. Surely there must be something workable in this department however.

If not, I suppose I will have to take my chance with ADSL or cable and hope for the best..

deojuvame

Post by deojuvame » Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:53 am

Lethal-
Welcome to .. There are many others here coming from the same kind of situation as you so I hope you can find the answers you need.

In regards to ADSL, you might want to check out the following companies: Saunalahti, Elisa, Sonera, and Welho. I'm probably forgetting a few, but that will give you a good overview of pricing schemes and whatnot.

In a few months 8Mbit lines are being introduced through Finland, so I think the prices will start dropping for the 2Mbit lines.

Nathan Lillie

Post by Nathan Lillie » Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:27 am

lethal wrote:That definitely makes things a lot easier. Thanks.

I wouldn't bring voltage converters - maybe just 1 for emergencies when relatives visit. They aren't much good for day to day use, they are expensive and tend to get hot and become a fire hazard. They are fine if you just need to plug something in for a few minutes though.

Computer equipment can usually use either 120 or 230 - so all you need are power strips and plug adaptors. There may be an ajustor switch on your computer - or look at the powerpack - it will say what voltages it works with.

Plug adaptors, on the other hand, I would bring lots and lots of. These are small and cheap, but they are easily lost if you haul them around (say, with your laptop). Over the years you will lose them, causing great difficulties if you run short.

converters and a plug adaptors are different in that the converter actually changers the voltage, while the plug adaptor just makes North American power cords fit in European plug sockets.

You can't get converters, power strips or plug adaptors for North American appliance in Europe. You have to buy them in North American and bring them with you.

You don't generally have to pay customs duty on personal items you import when you move here.

VAT is like GST, it's a sales tax, not an import duty. It's not really calculated like a sales tax, and but it has the same effect (increasing the price of a purchase) - however, it is included in the price of whatever you buy. You therefore will never need to understand about how VAT works unless (1) you run a business in Europe or (2) you shop here and live in Canada, and are going home, and want to take advantage of the VAT rebate system (this doesn't apply since you are moving here, and therefore can't do this).

There are companies that ship boxes by the pallet. These tend to be more expensive by volume than the container option, but less expensive than the postal service. I only know about them in the USA, but they tend to list their services on the internet. Shipping by the pallet is best if you have too much stuff for the plane, but not enough for a container.

It is much cheaper if you actually can drive your stuff to the port and put it on pallets yourself. If you're not doing a whole container, paying someone for pickup is not economically viable, really. If you live near a port, and own a truck or station wagon, this might be the best way to do it. Pack your thinks really really well if you do this.
If you want to catch beasts you don't see every day,
You have to go places quite out-of-the-way.
You have to places no other can get to.
You have to get cold and you have to get wet, too.

If I Ran the Zoo, Dr. Suess

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:22 am

Nathan Lillie wrote: converters and a plug adaptors are different in that the converter actually changers the voltage, while the plug adaptor just makes North American power cords fit in European plug sockets.
After which you feed 230V to a 110V appliance, after which the blue smoke comes out, after which the appliance does not work any more. You ask Phil about the hazards of adapters and cleaning half awake and a new printer involved... it was a nice fry.

*NO ADAPTERS* - if it runs on 220, change the plug to euro (cheaply available from the hardware store). If it works on 110, converter only. Having adapters = some dimbulb will at one point and time poke something in and fry something... it might be you, it might be the mrs. kids, it might be a babysitter, or you just forget...

BTW Phil can tell a story about his Xbox as well...
Last edited by Hank W. on Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers, Hank W.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:26 am

lethal wrote: Is this available in the 2Mbit range?.
Yes, everything is available. You'll just pay more for your connection than for your flat probably...
Cheers, Hank W.