Moving from Spain

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Eomer

Moving from Spain

Post by Eomer » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:48 pm

Hi everybody!

First I need to apologize about my english, it is not as good as I would like it to be, so many years without using it... :oops: anyway...

I am spanish, and I live in Madrid, but I've been to Suomi a few times, just on vacation and things like that... But that was enough to fall in love with the country.

I want to move to Finland with my girlfriend who is from finland. I would like to look for a job there and continue with my studies of physics (currently I am studing as well I am working), but I am a little afraid about the language and, of course, the freezing cold in winter.

My girlfriend is teaching me a little suomi, I find it really difficult, but step by step I am getting it :)

My trip to go there will be in three years time, because my girlfriend is a doctor and has a conctract here in Spain untill 2007, so I have time to learn a little bit more of suomi.

Last time I was in Helsinki somebody told me that it was not very difficult to find a job without speaking suomi, but I am not sure if that is true or not...

Anyway, I would appreciate any suggestions or whatever :)

Regards,

Emilio -- Eomer

Moving from Spain

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

luddite

Post by luddite » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:51 pm

Finding work depends on your qualifications, work experience and skills. But you can get lucky.

Im still studying for my degree but managed to get two part time jobs here in Finland without speaking the language.

Andrew_S

Post by Andrew_S » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:55 pm

If you work in a scientific or technical area you might get a job using English. Three years will give you good time to contact potential employers.
But learn Finnish anyway if your going to live here.

Welcome to .! :D
Image Image

Eomer

Post by Eomer » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:01 pm

Wow, that was quick answer indeed!! Thank you!! :D

I am afraid that my qualifications and experience is focused on business and computers.

I study physics just for fun, because when sing in the University my first option was studing computers engineering, but the admission was plenty of people and physics was empty :wink:

Im just thinking... I can teach you Spanish and you can teach me Finnish... :?:

Just curiosity... What part time jobs are you doing?? Just to make myself an idea of what could I do there :)

thank you!!
Emilio -- Eomer

Eomer

Post by Eomer » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:04 pm

Thank you Andrew...

I would like to work in some scientific area, but when I finish the carreer... ;)

I'm really impressed... You answer the topics really fast!! :D

Andrew_S

Post by Andrew_S » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:08 pm

I'm on holiday so wasting some time on this board. :D If business and computing are your area job opportunities might be quite good.

What is your avatar? Is it a shoe?
Image Image

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:15 pm

Andrew_S wrote: Is it a shoe?
:lol:

Eomer

Post by Eomer » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:15 pm

Ehmmmm... A shoe? Ummm... Nop, is one tatoo :)

Lucky you that are on holidays... :wink: Last month i was on holidays and I spent twelve days there in finland. I was in helsinki, we got a car and went to Kittilä and then back to the South... Spent good time there!

luddite

Post by luddite » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:39 pm

Eomer wrote:Just curiosity... What part time jobs are you doing?? Just to make myself an idea of what could I do there :)
They're pretty different :wink:

I work at a small IT company as a software test engineer and my other job is refereeing football games 8)

Andrew_S

Post by Andrew_S » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:40 pm

Eomer wrote:Ehmmmm... A shoe? Ummm... Nop, is one tatoo :)
Ah, I see.

It's hot and sunny today, but most of this summer has been rainy.

How often do you visit Finland?
Image Image

Eomer

Post by Eomer » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:41 pm

:shock:

Jejeje... Good! Sports and computers... nice mixture ;)
Why we don't have more rum????

Eomer

Post by Eomer » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:46 pm

Yep, I know about this summer... every day it was rainy, but just for one or two hours, the rest of the day it was sunny and good weather...

I ussually go to finland once a year, in summer, but next year we are planning to go in winter...

My girlfriend says that I must know how is finland in winter before going, but i know that she wants to get rid of me leaving me there in a ice statue... :wink: (keep it secret)

luddite

Post by luddite » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:47 pm

Eomer wrote::shock:

Jejeje... Good! Sports and computers... nice mixture ;)
Yep im trying to work more in IT and less with sports so I can drink more ;-) Take Andrew_S's advice though. If you have three years before you move study Finnish hard.
Last edited by luddite on Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eomer

Post by Eomer » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:51 pm

LOL LOL LOL... :twisted:

take care with finlandia vodka!! ;)

Andrew_S

Post by Andrew_S » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:52 pm

Eomer wrote:Yep, I know about this summer... every day it was rainy, but just for one or two hours, the rest of the day it was sunny and good weather...

I ussually go to finland once a year, in summer, but next year we are planning to go in winter...
Good. I like some real winter. It's a bit too long though (5 months). To come here for a winter holiday should be fun.
Image Image