Moving to Helsinki

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Jose

Moving to Helsinki

Post by Jose » Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:03 am

Hello There,

I'm moving to Helsinki in October, and really I just wanted to know what is the job situation in the IT/Multimedia market?

Why am I Moving to Helsinki? Why should I leave Lisbon (Portugal) I've got two good reasons: a finnish wife and a daughter. After some years delaying the decision I finally made up my mind.

I used to live there because I was a teacher of enviromental Technology in Tampere in 1995 up to 1998... so I do know a bit of Finnish. (not too much :) ) . the lessons were conducted in English.

IF there is someone out there working on this field that can kindly give me some insights on the IT/Multimedia market I would greatly apreciate it.

Thanks.
Jose.

Moving to Helsinki

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Post by Guest » Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:11 am

Depends a bit ofcourse on what you can do exactly. But generally the market is pretty down, also here in Finland.

And even if the field your working in is mainly English, they still seem to want you to be able to speak Finnish. At least, that's my experience.

But I have good hope, though that in the coming months the situation will improve a bit...

ajdias

Post by ajdias » Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:50 am

Olá José!

I'd advise you to go trough the previous posts on this board, you'll find loads of information that can give a better picture of the current job situation.

I am also from Portugal, as you probably guessed from my avatar (It's a famous XIX century cartoon that depicts Portuguese character, in the same fashion that John Bull portrays the common Englishman). Like many here, I came here for family reasons and found myself in trouble to find work. Currently, I'm a student at Helsinki School of Economics.

. is probably the best place to find the answers for your questions, but if you feel like meeting more about "tugas" living in Finlandia you can join our mailing list.
Last edited by ajdias on Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:00 pm

Currently, I’m a student at Helsinki School of Economics while preparing to start my own business.

What kind of business are you planning to start? I am trying to become an entrepreneur too; always interested in hearing about others' experiences.
Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.

gavin

Post by gavin » Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:24 pm

Caroline wrote:Currently, I’m a student at Helsinki School of Economics while preparing to start my own business.

What kind of business are you planning to start? I am trying to become an entrepreneur too; always interested in hearing about others' experiences.
Did you recieve my direct e-mail Caroline?

I've had my little empire for a couple of years now, learned some handy stuff along the way...

Cheers
Gavin